Wiki Posts
Search

Air china- biz class lax to pek on b777-300

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP; UA-PE; CO-PE; HH;Diamond
Air china- biz class lax to pek on b777-300

Hi all- any thoughts on hard/soft product for air china flight 984 on their B777-300 in business class? It leaves lax at 12:40am arrives pek at 5:30am

My thought is this is the flight that gets me into pek the earliest so I tour the city day of arrival. Other flights from the west coast don't land until 4-5pm so I loose that day to travel. Thanks for any thoughts and advice!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Seats are very similar to UA's sCO 777 biz product and are quite comfortable. Arranged in a 2-2-2 pattern, so unless you are a window person, take a seat in the center section so you will have aisle access.

Catering of western meals from LAX is not bad; catering from PEK is lousy, but that has been my experience on every flight I've taken from PEK, not just CA. A full meal is served after take-off, with a second, smaller meal about an hour or two before landing. I imagine they have snacks available during the flight, but I usually sleep about 6-7 hours on a flight like that. Drinks are not as free-flowing as they are from a USA carrier.

FA service is generally OK, but not up to the level of other non-Chinese Asian carriers. People complain about FA English language skills on Chinese carriers, but I've not had any problems. But I do not like to be baby sat either. However, best to look at the menu when meal choices are being taken as their verbal descriptions can be confusing. (One gripe I have about Chinese carriers is that they often do not hand out menus, but rather show one to you when they want your selection; I really don't like feeling rushed when choosing my delicious airline meal. )

IFE is greatly limited compared to non-Chinese carriers; best to load up your own stuff if that is important to you.

I believe CA now uses TBIT at LAX rather than T2. If so, you will have access to the *A lounge, which is very nice. (At T2, they used the Air Canada lounge which was mediocre and very crowded.)

The CA lounge in PEK is just OK IMO. Food is decent but lounge can be horribly over crowded and the wifi sucks - if you can even log on, that is.

Every time I have arrived in PEK from LAX, we parked at a remote stand and had to load up on a bus to get to the terminal. Very annoying, especially in the winter time.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for this great information! Do you know if we can use the lounge in pek upon arrival and if so does it have showers? Thank you again.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Only if you have a connecting flight.

If PEK is your final destination, then no. Upon arrival, you will be directed to passport control, then take the train to bag reclaim/customs. CA has no arrival lounge for terminating pax in PEK that I am aware of. If connecting to domestic flight in China, you will drop your bag off after customs, pass security and then go to your domestic gates. Domestic lounge access depends on your ticket type and/or *Gold status.

If connecting internationally, you will go through a document check, security check and then you will be in the international departures hall where you should have access to the lounges.

CA lounges do have showers but let me just say I've been in better showers.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Got it. Still trying to figure out our itinerary...obviously lounge access won't dictate but it would be nice after such a long flight thank you again!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Red eye flights are the best IMO. Just drink coffee the next morning and your jet lag is instantly recovered.

Idk about you but when I fly CO/UA I expect no service. If you have the same mindset with CA than they will blow your mind in service and food. If you expect CA to be like CX or NH than you'll be disappointed.

I fly CA due to flight schedule/decent product/edible food.
Since PEK is your destination I think it's an no brainer.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Idk about you but when I fly CO/UA I expect no service. If you have the same mindset with CA than they will blow your mind in service and food. If you expect CA to be like CX or NH than you'll be disappointed.
....and if you like your tea being consistently topped up then CA is a no-brainer. The CA FA's seem super proactive when it comes to tea refills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.