Hong Kong Airlines (HX)

Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong Airlines (HX)

Anyone experience with their online check in? Is it solid and reliable?

Can you check through luggage from HU to HX on separate tickets?

Will arrive in PEK T2, and looking for smooth onwards travel to HKG with a short time interval
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by 336

Will arrive in PEK T2, and looking for smooth onwards travel to HKG with a short time interval
The online checkin looks lousy but works fine. Because all Chinese carriers (including HK Airlines) use TravelSky GDS, the information integration is actually quite good even though it appears lousy.
On separate tickets, no experience checking bags through, sorry. But knowing that PEK is highly subject to delays, I'd strongly hesitate to book separate ticket connections with a short time interval--would only book if they were on one ticket so as to guarantee the connection (or, if you have travel insurance and like to gamble, feel free...)
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: NEXUS, Amex Plat. JPMorgan Palladium
How is the service and planes on Hong Kong Airlines. I have never flown with them, but just booked one way flight from PEK - HKG in April.
thanks
J
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Is nice airline and comfortable. The staff very nice. I have taking only one flight with them, so maybe others will speak up for you. Flight to the Japanese from
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Just flew them for the first time last week, and assuming you're in business class:

- good, friendly service without being over-attentive
- choice of 3 meals
- unsure of your plane, but my A332 business seat looked a bit old, but everything was relatively clean and functional
- loads were light, so even in the 2x2x2 layout, most of us got an adjacent empty seat
- I had both the HK tea and yuan yang
- IFE had decent movie selections given my own short flight

​​​​​​Other considerations:
- you'll probably disembark at the midfield concourse, so that adds up to another couple of minutes to the people mover train
- if departing from HKG in the future, the current lounge is between gates 23-25, but they are opening a new lounge in the midfield concourse later this year.

Originally Posted by jdavis2ca
How is the service and planes on Hong Kong Airlines. I have never flown with them, but just booked one way flight from PEK - HKG in April.
thanks
J
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:53 pm

Thanks for the replies...i'm having a little issue with their customer service right now.
I booked the reservation just using my First and Last name, not using my middle name which is on my passport (rookie mistake for Asian Carriers). Called customer service, they told me to email a copy of my passport to update.

Emailed a copy of my passport, they replied this has to be done over the phone...I have over a 1 month to get this resolved. Wish me luck.

J
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Thanks for the replies...i'm having a little issue with their customer service right now.
I booked the reservation just using my First and Last name, not using my middle name which is on my passport (rookie mistake for Asian Carriers). Called customer service, they told me to email a copy of my passport to update.

Emailed a copy of my passport, they replied this has to be done over the phone...I have over a 1 month to get this resolved. Wish me luck.

J
Why would you want to add your middle name?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Why would you want to add your middle name?
I have had issues in the past on Asian Carriers that require your name to match your passport....including middle name
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
I have had issues in the past on Asian Carriers that require your name to match your passport....including middle name
I have 500+ flights just on Chinese Carriers in my log and not once used my middle name. You'll be fine in PEK...
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Anyone seen or heard of this skybar on HX A330's? First time i've heard of this.
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanco...g-airlines-yvr
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:29 am

Yes there is indeed a bar in the A330-200s with the suite seats for business class. The bar is a relic from the old days when HX tries to launch an all business class A330 service to Gatwick. The flight only lasted for three months, and then those A330s were converted back to the normal two class aircraft, but the Sky Bar remains. I have a picture of it but photobucket is having issues so I can't post it. But yes, they exist.

I presume that they will put it back to good use when they launch the YVR flights. I have a feeling that YVR flights will receive priority for those suites because of competitions.

But I don't know if the Sky Bar will make a return when A350 arrives.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Mar 18, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:56 am

Sky Bar Hong Kong Airlines 33V

Photo of the Sky Bar on Hong Kong Airlines A330-200 with suites (33V)

Cupart likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by 336

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
The online checkin looks lousy but works fine. Because all Chinese carriers (including HK Airlines) use TravelSky GDS, the information integration is actually quite good even though it appears lousy.
On separate tickets, no experience checking bags through, sorry. But knowing that PEK is highly subject to delays, I'd strongly hesitate to book separate ticket connections with a short time interval--would only book if they were on one ticket so as to guarantee the connection (or, if you have travel insurance and like to gamble, feel free...)
I have best results using their phone app. Be careful with your name as you my have to try different variations, like leaving out the space between your first and middle names.

thanks
J
The onboard service is fine in Y for Y, J is just OK. Their wine pours are usually about 40% of the very small glass but after you try it, you may be glad they did not pour more. The seats are lie flat but incredibly narrow. But their fares are very affordable.

J Food is OK. Their HK lounge is solid and they have been improving their choice of contract lounges in outstations. Biggest issue they face is keeping their flights on time.

Originally Posted by yqtyyz
Just flew them for the first time last week, and assuming you're in business class:

- good, friendly service without being over-attentive
- choice of 3 meals
- unsure of your plane, but my A332 business seat looked a bit old, but everything was relatively clean and functional
- loads were light, so even in the 2x2x2 layout, most of us got an adjacent empty seat
- I had both the HK tea and yuan yang
- IFE had decent movie selections given my own short flight

​​​​​​Other considerations:
- you'll probably disembark at the midfield concourse, so that adds up to another couple of minutes to the people mover train
- if departing from HKG in the future, the current lounge is between gates 23-25, but they are opening a new lounge in the midfield concourse later this year.
Don't hold your breath on the new lounge, first scheduled to open in August 2016. There must be a building code issue. An employee told me last month all work has been suspended for 7-8 months now and there is no talk of when they will resume. Another one said there had been an electrical fire on that level.

Originally Posted by Carfield
Yes there is indeed a bar in the A330-200s with the suite seats for business class. The bar is a relic from the old days when HX tries to launch an all business class A330 service to Gatwick. The flight only lasted for three months, and then those A330s were converted back to the normal two class aircraft, but the Sky Bar remains. I have a picture of it but photobucket is having issues so I can't post it. But yes, they exist.

I presume that they will put it back to good use when they launch the YVR flights. I have a feeling that YVR flights will receive priority for those suites because of competitions.

But I don't know if the Sky Bar will make a return when A350 arrives.

Carfield
The bar is not used. I wonder why they did not rip them out when they refitted the planes.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:04 am

While the bar is not used, you will notice the carts and galley equipments behind the bar. I actually noticed many activities in that area during my flight from KIX to HKG.

I have a feeling that it might be too costly to rip off the bar and the equipment. I recalled that Hainan Airlines actually took over those premium A330-200s and tried a few "premium routes" between major cities in China, but they obviously didn't work out. They returned those planes to HX, and maybe it is easier and more time saving to keep the forward section untouched and just re-modify the rest of the aircraft.

Honestly it is easy to put those Sky Bars back to use - the chiller is still there but given the low quality of wines served by HX, it is not a big deal. However, they can easily set up a snack bar, which will be necessary on those long flights. It is a nice area to stretch your leg too.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Interesting that they're advertising and promoting this feature on the yet to be flown YVR Route, might signal that they'll be putting them back into use. It is definitely a point of differentiation for them when compared to the intense competition across the pacific here. Too bad most of us stuck in Y will never see this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.