Hong Kong Airlines (HX)

Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Can anyone share experiences with HX regarding carry-on and checked luggage? I'm traveling HX from BKK-HKG then continue on UA to SFO. I understand I can check a bag with HX through to SFO. My questions are:

1. In Bangkok, do they check the weight of carry-ons? My roll-aboard will weigh roughly 10-12 kg, which is beyond the 7 kg limit.

2. Are golf clubs an oversized item? The website isn't clear about whether sporting equipment is an exception to the weight/size restrictions, or if the exception relates to repacking (link):
The maximum weight and dimensions of any single piece of checked baggage should not be over 32kg (70lbs) and 158cm/62inches(Length + Width + Height) respectively. Overweight and oversize items (Exception: mobility aids, medical equipment, sporting equipment) must be repacked or split into lighter units otherwise will not be accepted for carriage.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:56 pm

I've flown HK Airlines more times than I care to remember. Service can, at best, be described as mediocre. Also, the person above who said they have serious time-keeping problems is right. Less than half of my flights have left the gate on-time and they tend to have poor policies to deal with it (One time, on a flight to Bangkok, the departure screen showed gate closing for over an hour when boarding hadn't even started). Also, baggage takes an age to get from the mid-field concourse they mainly/ always use.

On the other hand, they tend to have dirt cheap fares available. Bangkok is often 1200 HKD return in economy or less and I once bought a business return for 2300 HKD (300USD), which was cheaper than CX or Thai economy at that time.

Also, they never check hand luggage in my experience and I always used to fly with bag just in the size limits that must have weighed more than 10kg.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:06 am

Hong Kong Airlines is considerable cheaper in J than CX going from BKK-HKG. For those who have taken both should I have any worries about Hong Kong Airlines (other than no OneWorld points)?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:56 am

Aviation analyst CAPA states that hong kong airlines may re-enter London market!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by spinmeister
Hong Kong Airlines is considerable cheaper in J than CX going from BKK-HKG. For those who have taken both should I have any worries about Hong Kong Airlines (other than no OneWorld points)?
HK Airline's business class has a pretty nice hard product and fairly good service.
In terms of hard-product, there are lie-flat seats on the A330 fleet, which are far better than Cathay's seats if you get put on one of their regional fleet aircraft.
The service when I flew them in business class was not too bad. Though the meal provided HKG-BKK wasn't really to my taste as there was only a Cantonese option available.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:53 am

Hong kong airlines will launch los angeles

From airlineroute, hong kong airlines will start HKG-LAX 1 daily by a350 in December!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:02 am

Hi, does anyone knows if the hongkong airlines airport staff in beijing is strict?
when I booked my ticket, they only asked for my first and last name so I did and didnt include my chinese name in english.
Will I be denied boarding? What should I do?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:35 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cinz
Hi, does anyone knows if the hongkong airlines airport staff in beijing is strict?
when I booked my ticket, they only asked for my first and last name so I did and didnt include my chinese name in english.
Will I be denied boarding? What should I do?
is the name that you input in the booking the name in your passport? That’s what’s most important.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:13 am

@clubeurope

hey yes, that's my name but it's not the entire name. Do hong kong airlines allow modifications at the airport check in counter itself? I heard from my friends that airlines do have this service but just with a charge right?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:41 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cinz
@clubeurope

hey yes, that's my name but it's not the entire name. Do hong kong airlines allow modifications at the airport check in counter itself? I heard from my friends that airlines do have this service but just with a charge right?
if your entire name as it is in the passport, as opposed to only your english name in the passport, then yes you have to make modifications. As for airlines having name-changing services, most do, and often has charges that are relative to the conditions of your reservation. This should often be outlined in the Terms and Conditions that you could see in your ticket. I am not too informed about Hong Kong Airlines’ conditions, but if you don’t find it on your ticket, do consider giving them a call.

Hopefully all runs well, wishing you all the best mate.

Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by TravelDream
I've flown HK Airlines more times than I care to remember. Service can, at best, be described as mediocre. Also, the person above who said they have serious time-keeping problems is right. Less than half of my flights have left the gate on-time and they tend to have poor policies to deal with it (One time, on a flight to Bangkok, the departure screen showed gate closing for over an hour when boarding hadn't even started). Also, baggage takes an age to get from the mid-field concourse they mainly/ always use.

On the other hand, they tend to have dirt cheap fares available. Bangkok is often 1200 HKD return in economy or less and I once bought a business return for 2300 HKD (300USD), which was cheaper than CX or Thai economy at that time.

Also, they never check hand luggage in my experience and I always used to fly with bag just in the size limits that must have weighed more than 10kg.
HX checked my hand luggage once in NRT. It weighed roughly 7 kg and a label was sticked to my hand luggage, 'to act as a reminder that I could not buy any more duty free goods on the airside' told by the check in agent. So it depends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.