Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malindo Air - my view

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
We have a TG flight from KUL to ZRH(separate tickets). I am planning to book Malindo Air flight that leaves SIN at 5pm, what is the earliest we can check in Singapore and what time do they close this flight?
No issue checking in at SIN about 55 minutes before departure a few weeks ago. I thought we would be have some push back since we were under an hour, but nothing was said. I think check-in opens 3 hours before departure in SIN. Malindo is not on Changi's early check-in list.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gpeso8
No issue checking in at SIN about 55 minutes before departure a few weeks ago. I thought we would be have some push back since we were under an hour, but nothing was said. I think check-in opens 3 hours before departure in SIN. Malindo is not on Changi's early check-in list.
So 3 hours prior is ok? That's good. I am tempted as its so cheap, only issue is we have a 9pm TG connection from KUL to connect to.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So 3 hours prior is ok? That's good. I am tempted as its so cheap, only issue is we have a 9pm TG connection from KUL to connect to.
It looks like they open three hours prior to departure and close 45 minutes before departure. It looks like I had 10 minutes to spare!

Source: http://www.changiairport.com/en/flight/airlines.html
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I flew DPS-SGN via KUL last november.

No complaints.

Includes free checked bag. Don't remember any alcohol being served.

Planes were new. Price was really right, especially considering the free checked bag (which would have been for 2 flights on any other LCC) and a through ticket (not two point to points).

Hope they stick around, and look forward to having a beer next time.

Looking back at my ticket, they allow one free stop-over as well which could come in handy, though how to book it would be a mystery.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
I flew DPS-SGN via KUL last november.

No complaints.

Includes free checked bag. Don't remember any alcohol being served.

Planes were new. Price was really right, especially considering the free checked bag (which would have been for 2 flights on any other LCC) and a through ticket (not two point to points).

Hope they stick around, and look forward to having a beer next time.

Looking back at my ticket, they allow one free stop-over as well which could come in handy, though how to book it would be a mystery.
alcohol is on request in the J cabin usually beer and selection of one red and one white (australian).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
I wanted to revive this old thread, since now I have already done different trips Indonesia Dhaka return, plus another recently to HKT. In my opinion Malindo offering a good value for money either in economy and business, their complimentary add on such as big baggage allowance and on board snack and drink make the difference with the other LCC, Never had any sever delay or cancellation up to now, no issue with baggage, service on board is OK and ample leg room even in economy, additionally is almost the only airline offering some decent regional connection from BDO where I'm based without the necessity of going to CGK by car as often can be a nightmare.
On the negative side as per whole Lion group their IT is a joke (web sites and apps full of bugs and limitations), once I did book a J ticket online, at the airport during check in I should sit and wait around 30 minutes the agent to call Lion Air HQ in Jakarta and make the credit card verification by phone! Come on, they are a LC airline that is focusing on online sales! In some outstations for J passengers lounge access is not available, at KUL they only offer access to Sama sama lounge that is not the best for sure, sometimes schedule are just an "indication" and 30-60 minutes delay can be the norm especially for certain destinations.

At the end i still think they are a good option for regional trips, I will fly again with them again.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:56 pm

Last May I flew Malindo SGN-KUL. Normally I would book AirAsia, but I was traveling with my father who isn’t a seasoned light packing traveler.

Do they normally play music for the entire boarding, take off, climb, descent, landing, taxi, and deplaning? They played the same song over and over and over and over and over again on a loop. It was really quite annoying, annoying enough that despite free luggage, more leg room, I think I’d choose AirAsia in the future.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I flew OD HKT-KUL-DPS on a weird mixed ticket (Y for the first leg, J for the next). The service was fine, but the office is corporate kakistocracy incarnate. I wanted to pay to upgrade the HKT leg, but the KUL office was incapable on three different attempts. The food was delicious on the KUL-DPS leg in J, btw (lamb biriyani).

I find myself booked on them again RGN-KUL-BNE. My schedule had me in RGN to meet a friend in December with some dead time between the end of the Dec 7-9 weekend and my arrival in Oz on Dec 16. OD J tickets were available RGN-KUL-BNE for US$650, straight through or with a 3 day stopover in KL. The schedule (the red-eye ex RGN works for me; arrival in the morning in Brisbane is perfect), my 35kg of checked baggage, and price ended up sealing the deal.

The website borders on useless for itinerary creation or (existing) booking management. This is one of the rare instances where I'd default to booking via an OTA (I strongly prefer direct booking).
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Currently sitting in the Miracle Lounge at DMK courtesy of OD biz class fare, which may be a new feature. The south end of T1 is certainly a joy to use compared to the Air Asia end further north (3rd flight on OD521 DMK-KUL).. DIdn't use the lounge at KLIA on the way out but instead used the MYR 30 credit at one of the coffee shops (which actually buys you quite a lot).

Bargain given fares in Canada are the same for low service airlines with flights of the same of shorter flight times cost more.

Note that OD has dropped baggage allowance on the lowest (Super Saver) fare and reduced the next level (Value) to 15 Kg..
Old May 2, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: Enrich
They are very good for bargain, as I found their price consistence for most of the time. Usually the biz class fare is a steal for those flight duration longer than 3 hours.

But the major complaint is their backbone system is a mess. I had once that my booking become unconfirmed due to their system error, it took them more than a week before they could tell me that they could not do anything and all my booking change during that time was revert to the original booking. Then I had realize that basically their service centre kind of consist of one or two IT who may located in different location, and their call center may consist of one or two operator who can only access the information as what we could online. It was very funny and frustrated that their call center operator had to write an email to their IT to request on the issue that I ask them
Old May 3, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Talking

OD is awesome for the short shuttle flights like SIN-KUL & I used to only fly with them a few years ago on that route as they had just received brand new 737 aircraft so it was excellent (compared to MH's old & tired 737 & before SQ started flying their new A350 to KL)
It was also very cheap back then, 30-50% less than what MH & SQ were charging.

I don't do any changes for those flights so I can't comment on the website or their call center and IT system.

I just flew with them 2 weeks ago on that route & it was fine. Prices have gone up slightly but still a good 30-40% cheaper
Just note that at SIN T3, they always get assigned the farthest gates right at the end of the terminal so leave an extra 10 min. for boarding

I must say that OD is very popular with Indian & Pakistani travelers connecting to ... India & Pakistan
On some flights, I think I was the only non Indian & Pakistani person on board, except for the cabin crew
Old May 3, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I flew OD HKT-KUL-DPS on a weird mixed ticket (Y for the first leg, J for the next). The service was fine, but the office is corporate kakistocracy incarnate. I wanted to pay to upgrade the HKT leg, but the KUL office was incapable on three different attempts. The food was delicious on the KUL-DPS leg in J, btw (lamb biriyani).

I find myself booked on them again RGN-KUL-BNE. My schedule had me in RGN to meet a friend in December with some dead time between the end of the Dec 7-9 weekend and my arrival in Oz on Dec 16. OD J tickets were available RGN-KUL-BNE for US$650, straight through or with a 3 day stopover in KL. The schedule (the red-eye ex RGN works for me; arrival in the morning in Brisbane is perfect), my 35kg of checked baggage, and price ended up sealing the deal.

The website borders on useless for itinerary creation or (existing) booking management. This is one of the rare instances where I'd default to booking via an OTA (I strongly prefer direct booking).
Wow - where to begin?
In case you didn't know, OD is a hybrid LCC model - and the fare u paid for RGN-KUL-BNE - $650 is ridiculously cheap
Nuff' said ..

p/s I had to Google Corporate Kakistocracy .. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.