China Eastern (MU): J to F Upgrade?

Old Feb 13, 17, 8:41 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

China Eastern (MU): J to F Upgrade?

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience or know if it is possible to upgrade from Business to First Class on China Eastern using cash at check-in? Flying LAX-PVG It seems this route goes empty in F many days. Would be willing to pay a few hundred for the experience.

Best,

Gabrca
Old Feb 19, 17, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Gabrca View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience or know if it is possible to upgrade from Business to First Class on China Eastern using cash at check-in? Flying LAX-PVG It seems this route goes empty in F many days. Would be willing to pay a few hundred for the experience.

Best,

Gabrca
I would not pay "several hundred" for a one way upgrade on this route, but that might be a personal value issue.

C is the standard reverse herrignbone 1-2-1 layout. F are suites 1-2-1 vertically layed out (thus are significantly wider).

The key issue to me would be if I could sleep better in the wider bed than in the Cirrus seat. For me, it would not help. But if for you that can get some good shuteye, then whatever.

The service is fine in C. Yes, it has the common Asian airline issue with them not understanding "we" drink more fluids, but one can always ask.

BTW, one nice thing about the C layout on MU is that they have a 2 row minicabin behind F. All these seats have some extra room to place items.

EDIT: I am assuming they always fly the same 777 on this route they fly to JFK with. If that is not true, then all bets are off.
Old Feb 26, 17, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Gabrca View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience or know if it is possible to upgrade from Business to First Class on China Eastern using cash at check-in?
On a similar note, is it possible to upgrade from coach (T Fare Class) to Business paying cash at check-in? Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
If you do get the upgrade for an few hundred dollars take it lol. Even at 1k you should take it.
Old Mar 2, 17, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
Buy up from coach to biz is available at check-in counter. IIRC I was offered at JFK with around $800 one way. Not sure about going to first class. It is much better than biz on the 77W.

Originally Posted by dburns View Post
On a similar note, is it possible to upgrade from coach (T Fare Class) to Business paying cash at check-in? Thanks!
tomasdev likes this.
Old Apr 25, 17, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta DM HH Diamond
OP or anyone for that matter, any luck?

Flying ORD-PVG this summer in Biz, curious as to the cost if upgrades are offer to F
Old Apr 25, 17, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rhinolicious View Post
OP or anyone for that matter, any luck?

Flying ORD-PVG this summer in Biz, curious as to the cost if upgrades are offer to F
I am on that route late June. I will look to see if the C->F upgrade is available. If $200 or so I will grab it just to give a report :-)
Old Apr 25, 17, 6:46 pm
Original Member

Interested to hear too whether the LAX-PVG J to F is worth it. Flying that route in two months.
Old Apr 25, 17, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
On a recent trip from ORD to PVG, there was an offer on the entertainment system in business to upgrade to first for 30,000 CNY (about USD 4,350). No idea if that offer was available to those in coach. Seems like one too many zeros in that figure!
Old Jul 26, 17, 11:36 am

Real time reporting.....

Ord-pvg-hkg today

Check in counter, prior to taking my ticket says it's $2000 to upgrade from biz to F

I tell her no thanks

They have signs posted on each counter station 'special offer today , ask about upgrade to business class'

Checks me in, and before I leave I ask her 'out of curiosity what does it cost to upgrade from coach to biz'. She tells me it depends on booked fare class and cost of ticket

Hmmmm, remember she didn't know my fare class only that I was in biz when I asked about first class upgrade.

More to come, I'm going to ask at the gate , as well as the FA when I board
Old Jul 26, 17, 4:06 pm

Gate agent told me counter had closed so couldn't sell me upgrade

Wasn't offered upgrade by any of the FAs working the front and mid cabin

And i didn't ask......flame me

I'm in the mini cabin by myself , and that was good enough

Side note, typing this in the air and I did NOT pre sign up for wifi, not sure if something has changed or what others experience were but was super simple to log on

First meal was good, superior to delta D1 meal for sure!
Old Jul 26, 17, 4:12 pm

Gate agent told me counter had closed so couldn't sell me upgrade

Wasn't offered upgrade by any of the FAs working the front and mid cabin

And i didn't ask......flame me

I'm in the mini cabin by myself , and that was good enough

Side note, typing this in the air and I did NOT pre sign up for wifi, not sure if something has changed or what others experience were but was super simple to log on

First meal was good, superior to delta D1 meal for sure!
Old Sep 23, 17, 12:06 pm

Mileage run LAS - SIN

Hi guys, seeing how recent this posting was, I figured I put something here. I'm flying LAS - SIN in early Nov for a mileage run. I'll be on MU LAX-PVG-SIN-PVG-LAX. It's my first mileage run but I want to know what the options are for upgrading. Any advice is appreciated!
Old Sep 23, 17, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by brillantesg View Post
Hi guys, seeing how recent this posting was, I figured I put something here. I'm flying LAS - SIN in early Nov for a mileage run. I'll be on MU LAX-PVG-SIN-PVG-LAX. It's my first mileage run but I want to know what the options are for upgrading. Any advice is appreciated!
Are you asking about upgrading Business to First, which is what this thread is on? If so, I would recommend against. Business is really fine.

But if you are talking coach to business/first, that is a different. Have no clue what it would cost though.
Old Sep 23, 17, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
Are you asking about upgrading Business to First, which is what this thread is on? If so, I would recommend against. Business is really fine.

But if you are talking coach to business/first, that is a different. Have no clue what it would cost though.
Yeah I was looking to upgrade from Coach to Business. I'm really in it for the experience, plus the 14 hour flight in coach so far sounds terrible. It's a mileage run so I think BIS time will mostly spent on sleeping.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: