FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   China Airlines Carry-On Baggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1821786-china-airlines-carry-baggage.html)

Dalewood Feb 13, 17 7:44 am

China Airlines Carry-On Baggage
 
I am taking CI next week JFK-TPE-BKK premium economy. I travel light and had planned not to check any luggage. Now I read that CI's weight limit for carry-on is 7 kg. The size limit is no issue, but I don't know about the weight. Do they actually weigh your carry-on items?? :eek:

uhh_tvk Feb 13, 17 10:35 am


Originally Posted by Dalewood (Post 27902577)
I am taking CI next week JFK-TPE-BKK premium economy. I travel light and had planned not to check any luggage. Now I read that CI's weight limit for carry-on is 7 kg. The size limit is no issue, but I don't know about the weight. Do they actually weigh your carry-on items?? :eek:

Was flying LAX-TPE-SGN recently and I tried to bring on a 13 kg bag, they weighed it and I had to check it. I fly the same route again tonight and I'm not going to say anything about having any kind of bag and see if I can skirt by the rule. We'll see how attentive the desk agent is I suppose.

worldspan Feb 13, 17 3:09 pm


Originally Posted by uhh_tvk (Post 27903276)
Was flying LAX-TPE-SGN recently and I tried to bring on a 13 kg bag, they weighed it and I had to check it. I fly the same route again tonight and I'm not going to say anything about having any kind of bag and see if I can skirt by the rule. We'll see how attentive the desk agent is I suppose.

I did JFK-TPE-HAN in November flying Premium Economy (which I thought was outstanding particularly in terms of cabin comfort) and then Business class between TPE and HAN. They definitely weighed my carry-on at JFK and I knew in advance I was over about 2 lbs but even though the male check in agent looked at the weight, he just ignored. Bottom line, if you are not grossly over they are likely to leave you alone,.

Kiwi Flyer Feb 13, 17 11:28 pm

Probably okay on that route (as long as not ridiculously large/heavy). There are some airports that take a very strict approach (e.g. AKL has airport not airline staff enforcing carry-on weights).

Loren Pechtel Feb 13, 17 11:37 pm

Outbound we once got weighed at the old SHA airport. Other than that, nobody has looked. My laptop backpack is certainly over 7kg but it carries well, nobody has paid attention to it.

elexianyx Feb 14, 17 12:31 am

CI typically let you go at about 10KG, which is aka the standardized lie of"my laptop is in there".

Dalewood Feb 15, 17 2:54 am

Thanks folks; I am not taking a laptop, so I will pack and pray. :-)

Single_Flyer Apr 3, 19 10:12 pm

Any one with recent experience with this? It seems odd to have such a low weight limit (7kg) on carry on for all classes. I am flying FRA-TPE in Business and was hoping to not have to check. I'm aiming for under 8kg.

sgnakster Apr 4, 19 11:45 am


Originally Posted by Single_Flyer (Post 30962824)
Any one with recent experience with this? It seems odd to have such a low weight limit (7kg) on carry on for all classes. I am flying FRA-TPE in Business and was hoping to not have to check. I'm aiming for under 8kg.


I've flown China airline 8 times in the past year, 1/8 times they looked at my carry on and weighed it. Was overweight and made me check it in.

4 of the flights are round trip tw/US
2 China/TW
2 Bali/TW

Bali to Taiwan was the one that had the weigh in.

refox3488 Jul 4, 19 9:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with this. I booked a flight TPE-BKK-NBO with Kenya Airlines online for me and my spouse. I didn't realize that China Airlines had such a restrictive carry-on policy until i went to their website to reserve seats. We are flying with two back-packs, both within the size limit on China Airlines, but with expensive and heavy camera equipment for a safari in Kenya and do not want to check them. We will also have one checked bag with clothes and liquids.

If we check-in in-town (Taipei Main Station Airport Link) without the backpacks is it likely that they will be weighed at the counter even though they won't be obviously oversized?

Thanks for your advice.

Dalewood Jul 5, 19 3:43 pm


Originally Posted by Dalewood (Post 27902577)
I am taking CI next week JFK-TPE-BKK premium economy. I travel light and had planned not to check any luggage. Now I read that CI's weight limit for carry-on is 7 kg. The size limit is no issue, but I don't know about the weight. Do they actually weigh your carry-on items?? :eek:

Better late than never, I guess. Yes, they did weigh my carry-on at JFK but let me carry it on with a warning. Returning, I was forced to check it. I have never tried to carry-on anything overweight since on CI.

sleuth Jul 10, 19 10:45 pm


Originally Posted by Dalewood (Post 31273361)
Better late than never, I guess. Yes, they did weigh my carry-on at JFK but let me carry it on with a warning. Returning, I was forced to check it. I have never tried to carry-on anything overweight since on CI.

Did you just have the one carry-on? Iím flying CI soon and will have my backpack and a small eBags companion duffel (19x11x11) with medical equipment that I need for the flight. Plus one full size checked bag. Traveling in business class of that matters.

Not too worried about the backpack but my medical equipment canít be checked.

plunet Jul 11, 19 12:33 am


Originally Posted by sleuth (Post 31291360)


Did you just have the one carry-on? Iím flying CI soon and will have my backpack and a small eBags companion duffel (19x11x11) with medical equipment that I need for the flight. Plus one full size checked bag. Traveling in business class of that matters.

Not too worried about the backpack but my medical equipment canít be checked.

Take a look at the Medical Equipment section on this webpage

https://www.china-airlines.com/de/en...-special-needs

coolfish1103 Jul 11, 19 12:36 am


Originally Posted by sleuth (Post 31291360)
Did you just have the one carry-on? Iím flying CI soon and will have my backpack and a small eBags companion duffel (19x11x11) with medical equipment that I need for the flight. Plus one full size checked bag. Traveling in business class of that matters.

Not too worried about the backpack but my medical equipment canít be checked.

Business allow two carry on bags (22x14x9), each not exceeding 7 kg plus a personal item. Typically if your duffel can fit on the top shelf it should be fine, especially you are flying Business.

sleuth Jul 11, 19 10:02 pm


Originally Posted by coolfish1103 (Post 31291546)
Business allow two carry on bags (22x14x9), each not exceeding 7 kg plus a personal item. Typically if your duffel can fit on the top shelf it should be fine, especially you are flying Business.

Sounds good. Iíll carry documentation from my doctor just in case. Itís not electronic or battery powered equipment.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:43 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.