FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Business Compare - China Eastern vs. China Southern vs Delta One (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1818925-business-compare-china-eastern-vs-china-southern-vs-delta-one.html)

noah95 Jan 31, 2017 10:59 am

Business Compare - China Eastern vs. China Southern vs Delta One

I've got a one way flight I'm looking to book using DL Miles from HND to NYC in early June and would like a business or first product. Delta is showing options for China Eastern(777-300) & China Southern(777-300ER) for 80K Skymiles and Delta One (777) for 130k.

Looking for feedback on either business product MU or CZ. Are they both inferior to the DL One product. Opinions on the added value of DL metal. I'm already understanding that no phones and challenging wifi would be expected on MU/CZ.

Also, is there another Skyteam product/routing that I'm not seeing that may be better than all three?

Thanks!

ajeleonard Jan 31, 2017 11:08 am

In terms of the hard product:

1. China Eastern (reverse herringbone)
2. China Southern (staggered)
3. Delta (herringbone)

Service is probably more consistent on Delta although lower overall level.

Personally I would take China Eastern via Shanghai but you may value not having to double back enough to pay more for Delta's inferior hard product

noah95 Jan 31, 2017 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 27845038)
In terms of the hard product:

1. China Eastern (reverse herringbone)
2. China Southern (staggered)
3. Delta (herringbone)

Service is probably more consistent on Delta although lower overall level.

Personally I would take China Eastern via Shanghai but you may value not having to double back enough to pay more for Delta's inferior hard product

The double back doesn't bother me. This will be the end of long MR and I want to be comfortable, rested and overall enjoy this last leg back. I'm all ears here.

MSPeconomist Jan 31, 2017 11:32 am

For MU and CZ, check aircraft type and seating configurations. I think DL's 100% direct aisle access is wonderful.

gpeso8 Jan 31, 2017 8:47 pm

Given the premium to fly DL and the fact that I like reverse herringbone seats, I would most likely go with MU. I have only flown long-haul once on MU (LAX-PVG) and found it to be fine overall. How long is your connection going to be in PVG?

Enhancements Jan 31, 2017 11:44 pm

On Skyteam I'd honestly take anything over Delta's 777s. It's not as much as the seat as the age of the cabin that's an issue there...

Between the 2 Chinese carriers, I think CZ has a western edge. Also CAN isn't as dumpy as PVG T1 to transit in so that's a boon.

Is there any availability via Korean Air? The new business class seats on KE85 (747-8) are second to none. Also check TPE-JFK via China Airlines, though they might have more blackout dates than usual.

moondog Jan 31, 2017 11:59 pm

JFK is MU's flagship route, so you're guaranteed a nice plane, and Shanghai is a much shorter backtrack than Guangzhou. If I were the OP, I would shoot for a stopover in order to justify the diversion, and minimize time spent at PVG. Fly HND-SHA, spend the night in Shanghai, and do PVG-JFK the next day.

Bub001 Feb 1, 2017 2:09 am

I've flown on CZ and would recommend. I believe they only fly 777-300ER to JFK and the planes are modern, clean and comfortable. The Business layout provides aisle access for all 1-2-1 layout. I'm large and found the seat excellent. Pillows and duvet better than anything I've had on any US airline. There are multiple lounge options in CAN...CZ is good for comfort, the premium lounge (covering several airlines, Priority, Diners etc) has better food. On board service was excellent, food was good-to-very good, entertainment is fine. Wine and cocktail are a bit of a puzzle for Chinese airlines, but they try very hard. For me, non-use of phone and Internet is not a factor. Staff had pretty good functional English and where there is an issue, they disappear and come back with an English speaker very quickly.

lolstebbo Feb 1, 2017 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Enhancements (Post 27848075)
Also check TPE-JFK via China Airlines, though they might have more blackout dates than usual.

KE and CI are both terrible with blackout dates.

If OP is fine with either spending a few hours in Taipei or flying out of NRT, though, CI would be a better option than MU or CZ.

noah95 Feb 1, 2017 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by lolstebbo (Post 27849748)
KE and CI are both terrible with blackout dates.

If OP is fine with either spending a few hours in Taipei or flying out of NRT, though, CI would be a better option than MU or CZ.

Certainly don't mind the detour to Taipei. I've had a few folks now share positive CI opinions. I'll look into that option.

Is there any availability via Korean Air? The new business class seats on KE85 (747-8) are second to none.
I did look into KE out of ICN, but was not getting any availability for my dates. I would've picked that option w/o question as I've heard great things about their new product.

355F1 Feb 18, 2017 5:32 am

Originally Posted by noah95 (Post 27853109)
Certainly don't mind the detour to Taipei. I've had a few folks now share positive CI opinions. I'll look into that option.

Flew LAX-TPE one way on an award ticket in J last month using 80k Skymiles.

New 77W with a GORGEOUS CABIN--one of the nicest J cabins I have ever been in. Service was good, food was good.

I chose this flight to avoid transiting in china and will definitely try again if I need to route to Asia using Skymiles.

TennisNoob Feb 18, 2017 7:05 am

OP I would always suggest flying the foreign carrier even if prices weren't so far. But in your case it's an no brainer.

Since your DL plat I think you should give other airlines an chance so you can come back and talk about your experience. Whether it's good or bad.

exwannabe Feb 21, 2017 7:59 pm

MU long haul C a few days ago was exactly what I expected. Same as BR across the board. Exact same seats. Prefer these to the KE 2-2-2 on the Airbe or the older DL 777.

Service and food was fine, though as always Asian carries do not quite grasp that Westerners drink more fluids than Asians.

Regional though was more like a DL domestic F. Nothing wrong with it, but not for sleeping.

At PVG the new central MU club had a nice food selection but was otherwise somewhat plain. And I also had the not uncommon experience of sitting on the tarmack for two hours waiting for air clearance.

The one negative I would note is that checking in at JFK (after connecting from ATL) was a comedy show. Took 20 minutes, and this was after having already done the psuedo on line check-in. The agent ripped up 5 incorrect BPs in the process. [DL will not print these so you must hit the TA counter]

Overall I would fly MU if it saves some cash and I am not on a tight schedule.

MegatopLover Feb 22, 2017 5:42 am

Which flight suffered the 2-hour hold? Domestic or onward regional international, or long-haul?

exwannabe Feb 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover (Post 27942409)
Which flight suffered the 2-hour hold? Domestic or onward regional international, or long-haul?

PVG->BKK (which is a regional international in my book).

I assume they prioritize the long haul flights?