Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making a Delayed Luggage Claim With Air China

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Making a Delayed Luggage Claim With Air China

I understand that in order to make a claim for compensation for delayed luggage on an Air China flight, I must make a written submission within 21 days.

Not quite sure if I need to submit receipts for the essentials I needed over the three-day delay from PEK to SGN, or if there is a standard amount.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dorif; Jan 26, 2017 at 7:11 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BR Gold
Think OP meant "Air China/ CA", but not "China Air (lines)/ CI"

Since CI doesn't fly from PEK to SGN directly.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sawan
Think OP meant "Air China/ CA", but not "China Air (lines)/ CI"

Since CI doesn't fly from PEK to SGN directly.
Sorry, yes it was CA.

Last edited by dorif; Jan 29, 2017 at 8:46 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:13 am

Did you end up receiving anything?

I recently had a baggage delay when I flew from ICN to SIN via PEK all on CA (yes, Air China). My flight was supposed to arrive in SIN at 9:55 pm, but was probably 30-40 minutes late. I waited at baggage claim and my bag never showed. I was taken by airport staff to lost and found. They said my connection in PEK wasn't enough time and that my bag will be showing the next morning.

I sent an email to [email protected] w/my flight info and name, citing their policy at http://www.airchina.com.cn/en/info/t...ges_lose.shtml two days ago...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:36 am

FWIW, to follow up with my own experience. After numerous emails back and forth, including a few pings (due to lack of response), more folks getting added to the to line by Air China folks, and the San Francisco Air China office being involved + me having to send various materials (e.g. passport (I redacted some info), boarding passes, itinerary, etc.), I received a check for $50 USD today.

It took awhile, but it was better than nothing.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
This is a common question - not always easy to think of it at the time, but worth asking at the lost luggage desk how much you are entitled to per day for incidentals. This takes away the guesswork. Some airlines offer this information proactively, but if they don't, no harm asking if they know the applicable airline's limit.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
based on the link below, and for future reference;
https://et.airchina.com.cn/en/info/t...ges_lose.shtml
- The one-time compensation for delayed baggage: RMB 300 for Economy Class (or its equivalent in foreign currency), RMB 400 for Business Class (or its equivalent in foreign currency ), and RMB 500 for First Class (or its equivalent in foreign currency).

- If you can provide adequate proof, the compensation limit for lost checked and unchecked baggage per passenger is 1131 SDR*.
One (1) SDR is about $ 1.37, and its exchange rate may fluctuate.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:06 am

Delayed luggage more than 24h

Hi
Old thread, but maybe someone has more recent experience with CA?
​​​​​​I sent an email to customer relations as OP did, all I got was reply five days later feeling sorry about inconvenience and asking me to contact "destination of luggage", whatever that might be.
I asked them to clarify, but no response so far. Should I use snail mail to China instead?
Thanks!
Old May 10, 2018, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyslow
Hi
​​​​​​I sent an email to customer relations as OP did, all I got was reply five days later feeling sorry about inconvenience and asking me to contact "destination of luggage", whatever that might be.
I asked them to clarify, but no response so far. Should I use snail mail to China instead?
Thanks!
Snail mail will surely be ignored. If you are willing to hound by phone or in person on a frequent basis over an extended period of time, this might get you somewhere, but it's up to you to decide how much pushing is worth the effort.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:38 pm

Thank you. Unfortunately can't do it in person, will try to call them. 300RMB isn't much, but at least something
Old May 11, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by flyslow
Hi
Thanks!
Contact 'destination of luggage' probably means either contact the baggage service at the arrival airport, or the airline's city office at the destination where your bags were supposed to arrive.

It's usually a good idea to enquire about compensation limits, and how to get that compensation, at the baggage counter on arrival.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:35 am

It was supposed to arrive to BKK. CA didn't even have desk, it was handled by TG whos representative didn't know very much. But since I'm long gone from BKK, I'll keep bombing with emails and calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.