Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 hour 10 mins connection at PEK..is it enough time!?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Yes, they will rebook you. But according to many it might not be fun.

Could you clarify what you mean when they say they will not offer a later flight to SHA? I have not looked at schedules, but should be easy. Are you calling, or simply using the website? Have you looked for an alternative and asked for it?
When I booked on YYZ-YUL-PEK-SHA on airchina.ca (I believe same with US site but slightly more expensive), the only option you get on PEK-SHA is CA 1885 arriving 20:40, however there are 4 later flights available, which should be easy for CA to re-book.

Now I'm equally concerned with SHA-PEK with 2:20 connection time, there are 2 flights connecting PEK-YUL, I should've picked the first flight in the morning CA 1858, rather than CA 1590, both flights are operated by 747, are they the first flights in the morning from SHA? If I miss the connection PEK-YUL, it will be much harder for CA to rebook without significant delay.

My journey will be on Wedn both directions if that helps. As mentioned earlier, I'll be one of the first getting out ready to clear immigration/custom and re-check in for domestic with no checked bag.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
When I booked on YYZ-YUL-PEK-SHA on airchina.ca (I believe same with US site but slightly more expensive), the only option you get on PEK-SHA is CA 1885 arriving 20:40, however there are 4 later flights available, which should be easy for CA to re-book.

Now I'm equally concerned with SHA-PEK with 2:20 connection time, there are 2 flights connecting PEK-YUL, I should've picked the first flight in the morning CA 1858, rather than CA 1590, both flights are operated by 747, are they the first flights in the morning from SHA? If I miss the connection PEK-YUL, it will be much harder for CA to rebook without significant delay.

My journey will be on Wedn both directions if that helps. As mentioned earlier, I'll be one of the first getting out ready to clear immigration/custom and re-check in for domestic with no checked bag.
First of all, chill. Nothing bad is going to happen. As with any kind of travel, sometimes delays happen. CA will take care of you in case something goes wrong.

2hr 20min from domestic to international is easy in PEK. Even with a 1hr delay incoming you'll make that one.

1hr 30min in international to domestic will be a bit harder, but even here, unless your incoming flight is massively delayed (which seldom is the case for international, long haul arrivals), you'll make it.

You'll have both boarding passes in YUL, and you can go straight to immigration on arrival. If there are lengthy queues or slow processing, just hit one of the staff members if time is ticking with your boarding pass and explain that you'd like to be let in front. They'll help you to queue jump. Don't be quiet, make yourself noticed if queues appear too long.

After that, train ride to main building, and DON'T go landside. Turn left in the baggage delivery area where it says "recheck domestic" or something like that. Escalator one level up, into domestic security. IF you hit long queues here (and you'd have not enough time for them), again, make yourself noticed.

If you're out of the aircraft not less than 75min before departure and you actually make yourself noted should it appear necessary, you'll make the connection 100%. Even if you're out of the aircraft with less than an hour to spare, you might still make it.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:40 am

For what it is worth, a couple of years ago my wife had an international to domestic connection on China Southern in Guangzhou. Her first flight was quite late and there were several later flights on to her final destination. Despite there being several later options that day, when she arrived in Guangzhou there was a China Southern staff member waiting for her who expedited her through security and put her on a cart to her flight. She was flying in economy.

Even if you don’t get this type of treatment, there are so many flights between Beijing and Shanghai, you’ll get to were you need to go. Also, the staff in PEK speak decent English. It isn’t like getting stuck in Kunming, and trying to sort out an irregular situation.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:03 am
Suspended

In rush hours, it had taken me 15 minutes to go from the arrive gate for the first international transit check (30 mins for remote gate), then 40 mins queuing for the international transit security check, then another 10 mins to go through the check. Then another 15 mins to go to the departure gate (30 mins for remote gate). PEK is truly an awful airport to transit through and I have been using PEK for at least 16 times in last 16 months doing int to int transit...
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
Yes, just like in U.S and Canada.

I to D MCT at T2 is 90 min

You need to go up to 3rd floor, pass thru immigration, customs, go down to 2nd floor for security check and back to gate 15 min before flight leaves. It would take at least 15 minutes to cover the physical distance without considering the wait.

Airbus 380 that operates the 9:30am overnights from CAN the night before so it is unlikely it would be delayed and unless you are a very well connected government official, they wouldn't be holding the plane for you.

??-????-????????
No, not at many Canadian airports. One only needs to undergo an abbreviated passport inspection. No need to collect and re-check-in luggage.

For YYZ, check here: https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#
Old May 11, 2018, 7:29 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Clipper801
No, not at many Canadian airports. One only needs to undergo an abbreviated passport inspection. No need to collect and re-check-in luggage.

For YYZ, check here: https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#
Abbreviated yes, but it is still an immigration check, and one needs to meet the visa requirement (except China transit program). Unlike other countries where you can transit with just security check and no visa needed if stay in airport.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by m.y
Abbreviated yes, but it is still an immigration check, and one needs to meet the visa requirement (except China transit program). Unlike other countries where you can transit with just security check and no visa needed if stay in airport.
Since the U.S. requires everyone to go through the full CBP process regardless of one's final destination and nationality, this is about as close as Canada would likely able to do without strong objection from the U.S. AFAIK if one arrives on an International flight at some Canadian airports and is making an immediate connection to the U.S., one does not have to go through any CBSA process and may proceed directly to U.S. pre-clearance at some Canadian airports. The procedure, whether international to international, or international to U.S. at many Canadian airports is is far better than an international to international connection at any U.S. airport.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:26 pm

SGN-PEK-LHR

I'm flying with Air China SGN-PEK-LHR with 1 hr transfer in PEK. From the feedback on this thread, I'll likely not make it. Does it make a difference with international transfer? Do I need to clear customs and immigration? Security?
Old May 20, 2018, 2:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by FFSaver
I'm flying with Air China SGN-PEK-LHR with 1 hr transfer in PEK. From the feedback on this thread, I'll likely not make it. Does it make a difference with international transfer? Do I need to clear customs and immigration? Security?
It is slow even for international transfer due to poor processes, with lots of queuing to get stamped.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by FFSaver
You'll likely make it if you've an on-time arrival.

If there are queues, you gotta open your mouth, and make yourself noticed. Actually, only at the immigration check you've to do that, if there is really a long queue (rarely I wait there for more than 5min)

At the security check, there is a counter straight ahead when you come down the escalator, simply show them your boarding pass showing that it's boarding soon (there is also a display with the next departures shown - usually if they show boarding, you'll be let ahead)

1hr in PEK is perfectly doable. Don't know where you got the impression it's not. We're talking a straighforward T3-T3 int-int transfer here.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It is slow even for international transfer due to poor processes, with lots of queuing to get stamped.
The stamping is needed so you can't switch boarding passes (as well as the picture taken) and to ensure there isn't a switch of boarding passes with someone else, too.

MH370 has shown that you can't trust other countries on doing proper immigration checks. Also, there are even countries not having ANY exit immigration at all - China absolutely needs to check documents from pax in transit to ensure not someone is getting sent back to China when they are travelling on fake documents (like at least 2 pax on MH370 were - fake passports are a "big thing")

Apart from that, transfer security does sometimes takes a bit of time indeed (but that's why they got the "tight connections" staffed counter), but I've had unpleasant and long security lines in many other airports as well.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by runningpanda
I was just in Beijing last month and 35 min for I+D is impossible, you have to hop on the train going from T3E to T3C and back to T3D. 70 minutes for I+I should be okay without delays since you don't have to exit T3E. There is a separate line for the international transfer and there was no one there when I arrived.
T2 doesn't have a train, which is a big plus IMO, but 35 minutes is still completely impossible unless the PEK-CAN flight is severely delayed (quite possible).
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
60 Minutes Connection at PEK

Is this possible?

Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:50 pm

RJNYC Yes, that is possible, but if you book it, you definitely need to be prepared to overnight in Beijing. Since CX, KA, and CA operate ~15 flights per day HKG-PEK, take a longer connection if making the PEK-JFK flight is important to you. Just out of curiosity, how much more expensive are the CX nonstops?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
RJNYC Yes, that is possible, but if you book it, you definitely need to be prepared to overnight in Beijing. Since CX, KA, and CA operate ~15 flights per day HKG-PEK, take a longer connection if making the PEK-JFK flight is important to you. Just out of curiosity, how much more expensive are the CX nonstops?
Trying to use UA award miles. 220,000 on UA (dynamic pricing, yay!) versus 90k on Air China. Good point on trying to take an earlier HKGPEK flight, thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by RJNYC
Trying to use UA award miles. 220,000 on UA (dynamic pricing, yay!) versus 90k on Air China. Good point on trying to take an earlier HKGPEK flight, thanks!
Got you. I agree that partner awards are now one of the best ways to burn AA, DL, and UA miles. The only good thing about dynamic pricing is that it's now possible to do flights like MCO-BOS for ~6,000 miles on occasion.

I didn't know you could include CX/KA in UA awards, though this makes sense on the HKG-PEK flights because CX places CA flight numbers on all flights (CA does the same).

Back on topic, I would go with a ~2.5 hour connection, or else overnight. While 2.5 hours might seem overly conservative, you might encounter delays out of HKG and/or into PEK. 8+ hour delays still happen, but are now quite rare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.