Search

GA cash upgrade J to F a goer ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
GA cash upgrade J to F a goer ?

Hi guys,

I am looking at travelling to LHR from MEL and would love to experience the much acclaimed GA F.

The options are as follows:

1/ MEL-CGK-SIN-LHR on one ticket in J which is A$2650 one way then (hopefully ?) cash upgrade at check-in at CGK to F

2/ Make up own way to CGK and then fly on a confirmed F revenue fare CGK-SIN-LHR this comes in at A$4000 without accounting for positioning costs to CGK which will probably be Air Asia in Y/J which is $250/650 respectively if I book it far in advanced. Let's just say I would do the J option so that's A$4650.

So my question is, would option 1 would be a goer ?
Are GA known to accept cash upgrades at check-in ?
Need this to be an absolute goer as the whole purpose of going to CGK is to fly F ?

I already suspect that option 2 is more of a goer even for the certainty of it but just wanted to hear from others who have flown GA J before if they have been offered upgrades to F and if they have, how much was it ?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'm not sure if they are still offered but Garuda used to offer mixed first/business fares Australia to Europe.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:56 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
GA have a BidUpgrade system so upgrades needn't wait until check in. But that's as far as my knowledge goes (I have a J ticket which is ineligible for BidUpgrade, more's the pity, and will be asking at LHR myself).
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by dsf
GA have a BidUpgrade system so upgrades needn't wait until check in. But that's as far as my knowledge goes (I have a J ticket which is ineligible for BidUpgrade, more's the pity, and will be asking at LHR myself).
I presume only the highest J fares are eligible for the bidupgrade. Because of a medical emergency I needed to reschedule my QR flight and ended up cancelling it and booking a J ticket with GA 2 days in advance and ended up paying around €2800 for a one way ticket CGK-AMS. I then received the bidupgrade mail and did a bid of about €300. As there were only 5 people in F and thus 3 empty seats and J cabin was pretty full, I presume they only open the bidding system to the highest fare class(es).

Hope this information can help you out a bit.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Zolex
I presume only the highest J fares are eligible for the bidupgrade. Because of a medical emergency I needed to reschedule my QR flight and ended up cancelling it and booking a J ticket with GA 2 days in advance and ended up paying around €2800 for a one way ticket CGK-AMS. I then received the bidupgrade mail and did a bid of about €300. As there were only 5 people in F and thus 3 empty seats and J cabin was pretty full, I presume they only open the bidding system to the highest fare class(es).

From Garuda page:

Who is eligible to participate in a bid of BidUpugrade?

If you are flying with Garuda Indonesia, holding a confirmed ticket document number starting with 126, then you are eligible to participate in submitting a bid amount for BidUpgrade Garuda Indonesia, except for passengers with the following criteria :

- Passengers holding economy ticket with G (ticket for group), H, S, L, & X booking class
- Passengers holding business class ticket with I & O booking class
- Passengers holding reward ticket or free ticket
- Passenger traveling with infant

Am I eligible to make an upgrade offer?

Garuda Indonesia will send an invitation email of BidUpgrade to all eligible passengers and invite them to make an offer. Garuda Indonesia will send the invitation at :

- the latest 7 days prior to departure of the first sector of the booking for international flights,
- the latest 4 days prior to departure of the first sector of the booking for domestic flights.

If you do not receive any invitation email, you can verify your booking eligibility to make an offer by providing your last name and booking reference at http://www.garuda-indonesia.com/bidupgrade.

reference: https://www.garuda-indonesia.com/id/en/contact/faq.page
choose category bidupgrade
So, fare J/C/D should be able to bid for first class
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Zolex

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I don't really understand fully what you are saying.

Was your 300 euro bid successful ? Did you end up flying in F ?
What fare class was your J ticket booked into ?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Nizar
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I don't really understand fully what you are saying.

Was your 300 euro bid successful ? Did you end up flying in F ?
What fare class was your J ticket booked into ?

I tried to find the original fare class, but it seems to have been lost somewhere. Anyway, the €300 bid was successful and I ended up flying in F.

By the way, it seems that GA gives you miles and tier miles for flying F, even if you fly on an upgraded J ticket! At least with GarudaMiles, not sure how it would be credited to other FFP's. The €300 extra is already recuperated with domestic award tickets
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Is there an approximate list sample upgrade fare amounts, I am interested in SIN-DPS.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:32 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Is there an approximate list sample upgrade fare amounts, I am interested in SIN-DPS.
Sin-cgk was sgd90 for me (and accepted). Don't think it could be too much more for DPS.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I bid $100 for SIN-DPS, I will not pay more for a 738. My fare was high, should have booked it when it was $145 o/w I ended up paying $200 in Y, booked too late.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Mar 21, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Upgraded from Flexible Business Class (C) to First at Heathrow the cost was £499.00 one way about 2 weeks ago

Currently on a CGK-LHR AMS-CGK return both flights in First cost would have been £2900 or 45 Million Indonesian if booked on line , but we receive a corporate discount , so it works out at around 40 Million IDR , best value first class available , although i have to say i prefer a night flight , but ill take the day one at that price .......

Bid Up Grade - It works ok , but better value is to be had at the airport
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:41 am
dsf

I upgraded yesterday from super-inflexible business (I class, booked in the Black Friday sale) to First at Heathrow for £500 one way. This as part of LHR-CGK-MEL with 6hrs at CGK, with the full F service from plane door to lounge etc.

I also overheard someone else say they were offered (and declined) £429 for economy to business.

Last edited by dsf; Jun 28, 2017 at 8:45 am Reason: added Y->J price
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:54 pm
dsf

One more data point - at CGK today 2.5hrs before flight I enquired about paying up to F and was told not within 4 hours of the flight. Considering the LHR GA86 leaves at 0745 that's a hell of an early start required!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by dsf
I upgraded yesterday from super-inflexible business (I class, booked in the Black Friday sale) to First at Heathrow for £500 one way. This as part of LHR-CGK-MEL with 6hrs at CGK, with the full F service from plane door to lounge etc.

I also overheard someone else say they were offered (and declined) £429 for economy to business.
That sounds good. So if you arrive in First class and your connecting flight is in Business you are allowed to use the First class Lounge?

Do you think it is cheaper to upgrade to first class instead of bidding ?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:56 am
dsf

Originally Posted by betaepo2
That sounds good. So if you arrive in First class and your connecting flight is in Business you are allowed to use the First class Lounge?
That's what happened to me, yep. They took care of all formalities (BP, passport check, etc) for the next leg without me there, and accompanied me all the way to my seat, carrying my bags and placing them in the overhead locker for me!

Note that was a year ago, so the policy could have changed.

Originally Posted by betaepo2
Do you think it is cheaper to upgrade to first class instead of bidding ?
I can't answer that I'm afraid; I never saw a bid price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.