Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Vietnam Airlines Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Advice on Vietnam Airlines Purchase

Looking to buy a series of flights (SGN-REP-HAN-DLI-SGN) for Nov. 2017. Looking on Vietnam's website, it appears business class flights are quite inexpensive (not much more than economy).

I am a Star Alliance flyer (mostly). So, I do not have any experience with SkyTeam or Vietnam Airlines. Their website is a little odd. You select 'business' for the search and the flight prices go up (compared to selecting 'economy'). However, the selected flights do not indicate the class of service. It appears you do not see the class of service until you enter information on each passenger (passport, etc.). Is this normal for Vietnam Airlines website? I did not want to input this info. until I was ready to buy.

Also, given the great prices for business (~$600 per person) for all these flights, I would like to go ahead and book. Do experienced Vietnam Airlines flyers see any problem with booking so far out? Are these prices normal?

I realize, its my choice when to book, but would like some input from others. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by RockyMntFlyer; Jan 14, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:52 pm

That's normal for their website, have never had an issue booking J or Y flights through them.
At this far out the J flights whilst inexpensive aren't much more than the Y flights, at about 2-3 months prior to then all the Y specials come out which are very good value.
You should have no problem at all buy the flights now, just be prepared that your schedule may be changed numerous times as VN tends to move their scheduling quite a bit.
We book a return from Holiday Chi Minh to NHA Trang and in the space of a month they changed our flight timings 4 times.
​​​​​
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Flying Blue Silver
Indeed. I booked a flight in J for July only 2 weeks ago. The schedule has changed twice already, though not an issue with me. I believe that you are entitled to a full refund if a schedule changes. Great price; only £1600 return, LHR to MEL.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:26 am

Borrow the thread...

Im trying to book HAN-SGN-HKG with a stop in SGN for 2-3 days. VN in Business class. Looking in Google flights or ITA matrix gives me a price at around $400, for booking direct with VN. Great, but when I try to book that on VN:s website the final price gets to over $600+ for that multi route. But same day flights area only 400. Any suggestions how to solve it? I dont want to use an OTA (that also charges $400). Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: asia miles
Try something like Skyscanner that will give an idea of what site to use

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.