Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Southern FFP - is this useless or am I missing something?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some

I booked a couple of business class returns last year (plus some domestic flights) from Auckland because they were *much* cheaper than others. I found the seats to be very comfortable on the 787 and the food and service to be on the good side of acceptable. For the price, it was great.

It was never about the miles but I need to book some intra-Asia flights and thought I'd check my balance; I have 53K miles.

To my surprise this doesn't even get me a one-way ticket from Japan to Thailand *in economy class*. (by way of comparison, I use 40K miles to fly SQ in business from Auckland to Singapore). A quick look through other redemptions seem equally poor.

Am I missing something or are the CZ miles almost useless?

Are there any particularly worthwhile redemptions/routes that are more interesting?

(sorry for the newbie questions)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frequent flyer miles/points are not equal to earn or burn. They are not 1 to 1
Too late now, but ff partners here http://www.wheretocredit.com/china-southern-airlines
http://www.awardace.com/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:45 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Also to note, I thought CZ used Km's not miles in their frequent flier program.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fliar
It was never about the miles but I need to book some intra-Asia flights and thought I'd check my balance; I have 53K miles.

To my surprise this doesn't even get me a one-way ticket from Japan to Thailand *in economy class*.
Japan to Thailand should be 30000 km unless they are hitting you for Japan China and China Thailand separately. Anyway, if you have 50k miles, that equals 80k points, which is definitely a useful amount IMO.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
CZ miles are in KMs, 53K in CZ is like 33k in actual miles.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: QF P1,CX DM,M&M HON,AS MVP,Hyatt DM,SPG G
Originally Posted by Fliar
I booked a couple of business class returns last year (plus some domestic flights) from Auckland because they were *much* cheaper than others. I found the seats to be very comfortable on the 787 and the food and service to be on the good side of acceptable. For the price, it was great.

To my surprise this doesn't even get me a one-way ticket from Japan to Thailand *in economy class*. (by way of comparison, I use 40K miles to fly SQ in business from Auckland to Singapore). A quick look through other redemptions seem equally poor.

Am I missing something or are the CZ miles almost useless?

Are there any particularly worthwhile redemptions/routes that are more interesting?

(sorry for the newbie questions)
Any Chinese program are not worth to join. As CZ is a SkyTeam member, credit your miles to DL or KE or Flying Blue.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:33 am

Hi -

I humbly suggest Flying Blue. If you can hit elite status, you can redeem for AF Premiere.

Also, the redemption rates on DL are competitive, and there are also the AF/KL Promo Awards. The only thing you won't get are "Elite Upgrades" ... but if you buy/fly Biz, no biggie. Also, DL's FCM makes getting an UG problematic unless you are DM.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
good points, thanks people.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by FlyerBonus
Any Chinese program are not worth to join. As CZ is a SkyTeam member, credit your miles to DL or KE or Flying Blue.
Fully agree ^. Credit your miles to another program

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.