Wiki Posts
Search

Air China J experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Hi,

Just as further data points:

- We did FRA-PVG yesterday on the A359. Overall planes look still fairly new. Seats were OK in general, given I am 1.75m tall - perhaps for someone else taller the foot cubicle area might feel a bit small. I managed to sleep roughly 6h so that’s quite OK I believe, given it was a redeye. Service was a bit patchy though eg. I somehow never got a hot towel during the initial round after take off; they seem to serve food in a strange manner i.e. the would bring you your starters, and then choice of main course but they would only bring the bread a few mins later (?). Other airlines do the bread round first, as far as I have experienced. Food-wise pretty OK, I must say - fairly solid overall. Cabin was 3/4 full. All in all, for what I paid (1500EUR for FRA-NRT with overnight in PVG, not too bad, even if I did not manage to get it as cheap as EUR 1200 for the same route a while back during sale). They also gave us (we requested this per email in advance) a free ride to our hotel in PVG. It was a Mercedes S Class and the driver waited for us close to 90min after landing, due to slow immigration lines. So this was appreciated, despite that the chauffeaur service for J passengers only works once on the first leg i.e. we had to get our own taxi the next morning back to the airport.

- Today we did PVG -NRT on a A332. Very comfortable seats for the 2h flight to NRT. Crew much nicer, especially one crew member from Japan I believe.

All in all, so far, quite OK for the price. Let’s see the return leg in a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
PEK FRA in a packed 77W business-class cabin. Wasn't thrilled to be offered a chicken pizza after the 02:30 take off, so had a drink, watched Netflix then slept well on the lie-flat bed. "Western" breakfast was fine, though the service is agonizingly slow, and the language skills of the cabin crew were pretty basic.

The chap next to me refused the offer of slippers, but removed his shoes and spent a fair amount of time picking between his toes. He'd been allowed to spend the time taxiing out to the runway in a reclined position with no seat-belt: crew were reluctant to address the issue until i insisted, so i guess he was a person of importance.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So what are the best seats on the 748? Upper or lower cabin? In J. Any feedback will be appreciated. FRA-PEK
Old May 3, 2019, 8:42 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So what are the best seats on the 748? Upper or lower cabin? In J. Any feedback will be appreciated. FRA-PEK
Recently I responded in this thread: Air China 747-8 -- Business Seat Selection
Old May 3, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Thanks chose the nose section. row 12.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Air China also seem to have a book the cook type of meal selection program out of Beijing. Has anyone tried this before?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lonsinla
Air China also seem to have a book the cook type of meal selection program out of Beijing. Has anyone tried this before?
Where did you see it? It does not exist as far as I know. Fly Air China long haul J about 20 times a year. Never seen that. Only once in First class the steward asked me when I would like to eat and they would do it for me. In J, never.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Ha. I used this service on flights from PEK to SYD and FRA. There was no mention of the meal on either flights; I forgot about it myself too.

I wouldn't go in having any expectations...I'm sure the food is terrible anyway, just like the regular food on the onboard menu.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
Where did you see it? It does not exist as far as I know. Fly Air China long haul J about 20 times a year. Never seen that. Only once in First class the steward asked me when I would like to eat and they would do it for me. In J, never.
Its listed online. You have to book it before your flight like Singapore's Airline Book the cook service: https://www.airchina.us/US/GB/info/meals/premium.html
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:51 am
Suspended

Its listed online. You have to book it before your flight like Singapore's Airline Book the cook service: https://www.airchina.us/US/GB/info/meals/premium.html
In 2017 I booked meals for my FRA-PEK flights. Never got the booked meal. I travel CA931 often.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
In 2017 I booked meals for my FRA-PEK flights. Never got the booked meal. I travel CA931 often.
How was it? Booked the tickets for my folks to fly from the US to China since its so cheap.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:24 am
Suspended

How was it? Booked the tickets for my folks to fly from the US to China since its so cheap.
If you have low expectation, everything is wonderful. The food is nothing but a shame for an airline based in China. Some of the Chinese dishes are awful. For example, the Dory fish, sometimes you get a dish of water with fish that is diced into 1mmX1mm cubicles. When I had Chicken curry once, there is no curry to be seen, and the vegetable is just not possible for human consumption. Generally the food from out station is better than food loaded from Beijing.

the seats are lovely and I like aisle. A330 has more legroom than B747/777/787. IFE is decent and you get to see a lot films that you might have missed 6-10 years ago.

Service is good and the cabin crews always try their best. Beverage service is between a 3 and 4 star hotels. Average nothing surprising nothing bad.

The lounge food is, ah, a reflection of the airline itself. It is better than what you got on the Air China long haul. But again, a good solid 3.5 star airlines in my opinion.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Independent
I don't suppose there are any rumors of seat retrofitting, or flying the A350 to JFK? Sadly Air China seems to be the best way to actually use my Star Alliance program miles up for lie-flat seats (or cash!)
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:30 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by whicuz
I don't suppose there are any rumors of seat retrofitting, or flying the A350 to JFK? Sadly Air China seems to be the best way to actually use my Star Alliance program miles up for lie-flat seats (or cash!)
No plan of retrofitting, CA plan to use 350 to Europe mainly because there are no more US China route authorities left so they use 77W to maximize number of passengers carried.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:16 am

Can I ask which are the best J seats for a 777-300er and 787? Its for a couple who are flying together. Do we need to call up Air China to select seats? The tickets are purchased via AMEX travel so I cant seem to manage my booking online

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.