Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLIA - why is boarding such hassle?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Poster

KLIA - why is boarding such hassle?

After not having flown MH for while, I've had to do half a dozen outbound segments from KLIA... OMG boarding is such a mess at the gates.

No priority J queue to scan hand luggage prior to entering the gate holding area.

And now seems they've instituted separate male and female queues which causes the queue for males to stretch round the block and back, while that for females is short enough. And oh, they never bother to put up signs to indicate this... many men (obviously attracted by the shorter queue - common sense) were turned back upon reaching the scanning machine, and vice versa. Woefully disorganized!!

Last edited by carrotjuice; Oct 23, 2016 at 5:38 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
It all depends on the airline you are flying with,because it is up to them to organise and police the queues. CX has staff who send premium pax to a separate queue at the "at the gate security" for example. They also partion off half of the holding pen (the half closer to the boarding pass scanner) for OWS/J and above pax,so they can 1)guarantee a seat in the holding area 2)board immidiately when boarding starts....but then then again CX has a lot of staff when it comes to boarding,whereas MH has 1 or 2.

....btw it's the same in SIN where CX manages the boarding process properly unike MH.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
And now seems they've instituted separate male and female queues ...
Wait, what? This is new... I flew them two Fridays ago, didn't have this in place then. Is this something implemented for all MH flights?

Last edited by crackjack; Oct 23, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crackjack
Wait, what? This is new... I flew them two Fridays ago, didn't have this in place then. Is this something implemented for all MH flights?
Not sure if it's only for MH as I've only ever flown MH from KLIA.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Flew MH exKUL two Mondays ago and didn't experience this either.

Instead we had to deal with a a large tour group who had no idea how to prepare for security - and an absurd numbers of carry on bags - and only 1 lane open.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:47 pm

This is not new, nor a regular practise - it's a once in a while thing depending on the security officers on duty at that time, and also depending if both the gates (Most KLIA gates have paired common security) are being used. Not sure it's speedier overall for the entire population - but works for me!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:30 am

After not having flown MH for while, I've had to do half a dozen outbound segments from KLIA... OMG boarding is such a mess at the gates.... Woefully disorganized!!
Welcome to Malaysia! Is it a wonder this country is so far behind its neighbours, an abundance of natural resources not withstanding?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
This is not new, nor a regular practise - it's a once in a while thing...
Ah, didn't know that. Never seen this, I've only had experience where only one security line is used. Not that I fly all that much, but the sample isn't that small...

Last edited by crackjack; Oct 24, 2016 at 7:51 pm
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
This is not new, nor a regular practise - it's a once in a while thing depending on the security officers on duty at that time, and also depending if both the gates (Most KLIA gates have paired common security) are being used. Not sure it's speedier overall for the entire population - but works for me!
That's true. Having now done many more flights through KLIA in recent weeks, I notice that it's up to the security officers. At other times, all passengers go through the same scanning machine and if the sound beeps and you're a man, you get patted down by a man. And vice versa if you're a woman.

Passengers generally don't have an issue if they wish to segregate the queues by sex. But put up some damn signage to indicate so!! (seems they always forget to do this, which ends up with considerable hollering by the security officers, to redirect a person of the "wrong" sex upon almost reaching the front of the queue.)
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:00 pm

Complete joke this morning at security for MH4 to London. Initially only 1 queue open and Business/First closed. Stuck in the queue about 15 mins, then they opened a second queue, half the people split off to this queue, then they decided to split Male / Female, so a whole load more commotion. Finally as I was nearing the front of the now male queue Business security opened, so hopped across to there. Then even more trouble as passengers for Narita were queueing then turned away. The staff on the Business/First queue couldn't be bothered to check boarding passes either, so it appeared to just become another normal queue.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
After not having flown MH for while, I've had to do half a dozen outbound segments from KLIA... OMG boarding is such a mess at the gates.

No priority J queue to scan hand luggage prior to entering the gate holding area.

And now seems they've instituted separate male and female queues which causes the queue for males to stretch round the block and back, while that for females is short enough. And oh, they never bother to put up signs to indicate this... many men (obviously attracted by the shorter queue - common sense) were turned back upon reaching the scanning machine, and vice versa. Woefully disorganized!!
I fly in and out of KLIA on a bi weekly basis..I never have a problem with MH or security checks.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jonrross
Complete joke this morning at security for MH4 to London. Initially only 1 queue open and Business/First closed. Stuck in the queue about 15 mins, then they opened a second queue, half the people split off to this queue, then they decided to split Male / Female, so a whole load more commotion. Finally as I was nearing the front of the now male queue Business security opened, so hopped across to there. Then even more trouble as passengers for Narita were queueing then turned away. The staff on the Business/First queue couldn't be bothered to check boarding passes either, so it appeared to just become another normal queue.
This has happened to me before...I could not understand why the business/first security check was not open as I was flying business so ended up in the economy line...someone then went forward and asked why the business and first line was not open..only then did the airport security staff open it.

Point to note, the staff doing the security checks are not MH staff. They are Malaysia Airports staff and they generally never ever listen to MH staff anyways.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phoochka
Welcome to Malaysia! Is it a wonder this country is so far behind its neighbours, an abundance of natural resources not withstanding?
Stop being overdramatic. Malaysia isn't bad. It certainly has it's problems politically but it is not "far behind it's neighbours."
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:43 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
There's an ASEAN line for those who are eligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.