Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Another case of AirAsia Fraud - who should I contact in the Indian government?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another case of AirAsia Fraud - who should I contact in the Indian government?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rje444
skywardhunter,
So I guess an Indian government agency is not the fastest route to a solution then!

After you identified the initials, I looked it up and discovered that:

"The Government of India is planning to replace the organization with a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), modeled on the lines of the American Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)"

Sounds like in its present state, DGCA stands for Doesn't Generally Control Aviation
In general terms, the USA FAA is concerned with air safety regulations while the USA DOT handles consumer protection for airline passengers. If the India DGCA is being replaced by an FAA-type entity, how will handle consumer issues?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In general terms, the USA FAA is concerned with air safety regulations while the USA DOT handles consumer protection for airline passengers. If the India DGCA is being replaced by an FAA-type entity, how will handle consumer issues?
As before. They won't.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Amazing.

I just managed to get AirAsia India to transfer the refund they owed me to my bank account.

And it only took 9 months of polite requests, cajoling, threats, tweets to their account and the CEO, and even emails to the Indian Minister of Tourism.

AirAsia made 27 promises to make that refund over those 9 months. Each time, after not receiving it I'd write to ask where is it? They would often ignore me.

In the end, only extreme action forced their hand.

But what about the thousands of other customers who don't know enough, or are too tired to pursue them so vigorously for their promised refunds, as documented in articles? I wish someone would write an article explicitly exposing AirAsia's unscrupulous practices and warn potential customers of the risk of doing business with AirAsia.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:25 pm

Air Asia is hardly unique in this regard.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Air Asia is hardly unique in this regard.
I know people have many problems with airlines, but this seemed pretty simple. AirAsia cancelled the flight, the terms of the ticket said that in case of cancellation the cost would be refunded, and AirAsia even told me they owed me the refund. But they tried very hard not to ever pay it.

Do you know of other airlines as well established as AirAsia who do that? Because if you do, I'd like to know who they are, so I can avoid them!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Well CoC of Scoot said they'll even keep your money even if *they* cancelled the flight (you'll be given travel vouchers for future travel with six months' validity). I think Scoot's worse (with AirAsia I can lodge a chargeback without my bank answering back).
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:20 am

Not explicitly for cancellations, but I've had refund issues (similar to yours) with the following companies:

-China Southern
-China Eastern
-Wait China
-Scoot
-most HNA Group airlines
-various travel agents

Obviously, my data set is limited to the airlines that I utilize, but singling out Air Asia seems silly to me.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Not explicitly for cancellations, but I've had refund issues (similar to yours) with the following companies:

-China Southern
-China Eastern
-Wait China
-Scoot
-most HNA Group airlines
-various travel agents

Obviously, my data set is limited to the airlines that I utilize, but singling out Air Asia seems silly to me.
Thanks for the additional sources of potential trouble.

But why do you think focusing on AirAsia is silly? After all, that is the subject of this thread.

Furthermore, AirAsia has an egregious record of frequently canceling flights and then refusing to refund the ticket price. I don't know how comparable in numbers this is to the other carriers you mention, but I do know that in Australia so many people have been affected that there have been articles about just this.

And also relevant is that because AirAsia flies so many passengers but does not honor their ticketing terms, a lot of people are potentially exposed to risk. After all, AirAsia is described as the largest low-cost carrier in Asia in terms of fleet size and the number of passengers carried. And if you eliminate the "low-cost" modifier and just rank it among Asian airlines, AirAsia is #7 in rank for size. That is bigger than Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, and Singapore Airlines (even when you include Scoot).

So all this makes AirAsia worth singling out for comment, in my opinion.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I've had problem with getting refund from MH. Supposed to be a full service carrier. Fare was the cheapest so only tax is refundable and just never happened. We've got better things to do and lesson learned.

Maybe u could ask for a credit instead of refund and u will see it in your account very soon
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

-China Southern
-China Eastern
-Wait China
-Scoot
-most HNA Group airlines
-various travel agents

Not to go OT, but I have had something like 4-5 refunds in my entire life.

Are you a professional hurricane/typhone jumper or something :-)

Seriously though, I do agree that one needs to be a bit more careful in that neck of the woods, and this is not an A Asia specific issue.

Last edited by exwannabe; Aug 27, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by rje444
I just managed to get AirAsia India to transfer the refund they owed me to my bank account. ... In the end, only extreme action forced their hand.
What was the "extreme action"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.