Wiki Posts
Search

Help! China Airlines Won't Let Me Pick Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Help! China Airlines Won't Let Me Pick Seats

Hello,
I am a newbie on this forum and was hoping to get some advice or recommendations on my issue.
I have booked 3 China airline tickets for Myself, my 5 year old daughter and teenage daughter to go to Thailand this November through Expedia. My wife will already be there visiting family. I got a really great deal on these tickets as I booked way in advance. The issue I am having is with being able to pick seats. I called China Airlines directly to pick seating together, but they informed me that my special fare (cheap) tickets do not allow me to pick seating. I explained that I am travelling with my two young daughters and is crucial that I get seated together. They tell me that the only thing I can do is purchase what is called "Family Couch Seating" for $300 each flight. So, that means from SFO to Taipei is $300 and from Taipei to BKK is another $300 and the same for returning flight which equals to $1,200 dollars I would have to pay. This is rediculiously high price to pay. I thought they would understand that by me travelling with two young daughters they would have some common sense, but got nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions or ides on how I can approach this issue with China Airlines? Thanks in advance
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, caragon!

I am moving your post to "Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines" forum which covers topics relating to China Airlines.

NewbieRunner
Co-moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
So, you chose the cheapest fare, which excludes certain benefits, and now you would like advice on how to obtain those benefits anyway, without paying more, just because you are traveling with your children?

If my circumstances required advance seat selection, my common sense would tell me to buy a fare that allows seat selection.

I don't know how it works specifically on China Airlines, but I imagine those who bought your type of fare will be given seat assignments at the gate. If you get to the gate early you could try to request seats together at that time and see if they can accommodate the request.

Also if I am reading their web site correctly it seems like the regular price to upgrade to Family Couch for 1 adult and 2 children should be $200, not $300, and there may be a promo price in effect for $120? But I think they would only have family couch on the SFO-TPE flight.

https://calec.china-airlines.com/FC_...y=us&locale=en

BTW you don't necessarily have to book Family Couch, just buy up to the next fare class that does provide advance seat selection.

If none of this is acceptable and you bought the tickets within the last 24 hours you should still be able to cancel entirely for a full refund per US DOT rules, see "Free Reservation Cancellation Within 24 Hours of Ticket Purchase" here:

https://www.china-airlines.com/au/en...ice-commitment
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Hello Caragon

This is quite a common issue. Actually a few things you should know.

Yes firstly the China airlines staff are quite correct in that super cheap tickets don't allow seat selection in Economy.

Also I noticed you said you will be flying in November. China Airlines does not do seat selection more than 90 days ahead. So while the staff member was correct she/he did not mention that to you as well. So even if you bought a business class ticket you would not be able to seat select until early September at the earliest.

There are 2 options I see here.

Wait until check-in and get there early, it would be good to also ring the office 3-4 days before hand and admit your ticket it is not possible to seat select beforehand but to ask can let their agents to know this issue. If checking in early agents will have the ability to move around if needed especially single travelers wont be too much trouble. Even checking in late they will make sure 2 of you are sitting together with your youngest member being accompanied.

Anyway that's why I suggest going to arrive 30 mins before check in opens. You will be surprised many people don't bother doing seat selections, plus November is not a particularly busy time so while not impossible the flight is almost certain not to be completely full.

If your still concerned greatly and cant sleep then Sky Couch is the only way to go. It will guarantee all are together as it is done with 3 seats together which can convert into a short bed. Good length for children but too short for adults to really lay down, though you can put your back to the window and stretch out that way. Hence the word couch.

Note that Sky Couch will only be on your USA- Taiwan flight. Taiwan to Thailand is not stable though I do believe the early morning flight is the B747 most of the time. Also its only a 3hr flight which is short haul.

I am sure it will work out fine.

Hope you know that B777 (US-Taiwan) configs are quite tight. New plane but still.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
So, you chose the cheapest fare, which excludes certain benefits, and now you would like advice on how to obtain those benefits anyway, without paying more, just because you are traveling with your children?

If my circumstances required advance seat selection, my common sense would tell me to buy a fare that allows seat selection.

I don't know how it works specifically on China Airlines, but I imagine those who bought your type of fare will be given seat assignments at the gate. If you get to the gate early you could try to request seats together at that time and see if they can accommodate the request.

Also if I am reading their web site correctly it seems like the regular price to upgrade to Family Couch for 1 adult and 2 children should be $200, not $300, and there may be a promo price in effect for $120? But I think they would only have family couch on the SFO-TPE flight.

https://calec.china-airlines.com/FC_...y=us&locale=en

BTW you don't necessarily have to book Family Couch, just buy up to the next fare class that does provide advance seat selection.

If none of this is acceptable and you bought the tickets within the last 24 hours you should still be able to cancel entirely for a full refund per US DOT rules, see "Free Reservation Cancellation Within 24 Hours of Ticket Purchase" here:

https://www.china-airlines.com/au/en...ice-commitment
Zorak,
Thanks for the valuable feedback and information. I will ask about price bumping up to next fare class to allow seat selection. Also, when purchasing the tickets I did not see anything in the restrictions or fine print that would not allow me to choose seating. Maybe it's because I purchased through Expedia and not directly with airline.
Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tris06
Hello Caragon

Yes firstly the China airlines staff are quite correct in that super cheap tickets don't allow seat selection in Economy.

Also I noticed you said you will be flying in November. China Airlines does not do seat selection more than 90 days ahead. So while the staff member was correct she/he did not mention that to you as well. So even if you bought a business class ticket you would not be able to seat select until early September at the earliest.

Wait until check-in and get there early, it would be good to also ring the office 3-4 days before hand and admit your ticket it is not possible to seat select beforehand but to ask can let their agents to know this issue. If checking in early agents will have the ability to move around if needed especially single travelers wont be too much trouble. Even checking in late they will make sure 2 of you are sitting together with your youngest member being accompanied.

Anyway that's why I suggest going to arrive 30 mins before check in opens. You will be surprised many people don't bother doing seat selections, plus November is not a particularly busy time so while not impossible the flight is almost certain not to be completely full.

If your still concerned greatly and cant sleep then Sky Couch is the only way to go. It will guarantee all are together as it is done with 3 seats together which can convert into a short bed. Good length for children but too short for adults to really lay down, though you can put your back to the window and stretch out that way. Hence the word couch.

Note that Sky Couch will only be on your USA- Taiwan flight. Taiwan to Thailand is not stable though I do believe the early morning flight is the B747 most of the time. Also its only a 3hr flight which is short haul.

Hope you know that B777 (US-Taiwan) configs are quite tight. New plane but still.
Thanks Trsi06,
Thanks so much for your valuable information. You have some good advice.
It's either spending the extra money for Family Couch or taking my chances that in November those flights are not completely full.
Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:32 pm

You best option is probably to check in online at the 24 hour mark. I did this once and was able to obtain an window seat and not stuck in a middle seat.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:55 pm

Booking thought Expedia may have something to do with this, I booked cheapest fare directly throught CI many times and able to pick seat as long as within 90 days before departures. Good luck friends!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Well, I just spoke with an agent at China Airlines and who was more accommodating than most. She assured me that travelers with children are always accommodated to be assigned together seating regardless of the price of ticket purchased. It is an airline wide rule and common sense she mentioned. I just need to check-in a bit earlier to facilitate the accommodation. This is good news. This makes Zorak's comment of "Just because your traveling with your children" seem a bit harsh and like the agent said "It's common sense that airlines will accommodate travelers with children". This is exactly my thoughts before it prompted me in calling again and in hopes to get a more satisfactory answer.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by caragon
This makes Zorak's comment of "Just because your traveling with your children" seem a bit harsh and like the agent said "It's common sense that airlines will accommodate travelers with children".
Sorry if it sounded harsh, but it seemed like you were, essentially, asking to be able to pick seats in advance even though that is not a feature of the fare you bought. Would it fair if you were able to do so because you are travelling with children, but a solo traveler who purchased the same fare cannot?

I do think there's a difference between that (pick specific seats in advance) and something like "we will put you in 3 seats together, but we won't know until check-in or at the gate which 3 specific seats." That I agree seems like a reasonable and common sense accommodation.

Incidentally if Expedia doesn't make it clear what restrictions apply to a fare, I would definitely followup with them as well that they should make it clearer in advance.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
Common sense definitely prevails in this situation in which those without always assumes the other party should have an excess of...
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Similar issues but on Air China not China Airlines.

And in my case these are BUSINESS CLASS International seats they refuse to allocate seating on!

Wait on hold for TWENTY minutes for an agent, I kid you not.

We fly Bangkok to Hangzhou on Air China in December.

They were happy to allocate that flight - no big deal, as only a few hours.

However in January we fly Taipei to Beijing, and then the long Beijing to Sydney flight .. all in Business Class bed suites.

Ask about seats on that, and agent says "too far out". Huh? December was just fine.

No other carrier I've ever flown on, minds allocating Business or First seats right up to the 330 days out booking max if you ask.

He seemed to be saying CA work in CALENDAR year mostly, and if I called it in around October that would be wiser.

So maybe Chinese carriers work to strange systems?

Any others found this?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by caragon
Well, I just spoke with an agent at China Airlines and who was more accommodating than most. She assured me that travelers with children are always accommodated to be assigned together seating regardless of the price of ticket purchased. It is an airline wide rule and common sense she mentioned. I just need to check-in a bit earlier to facilitate the accommodation. This is good news. This makes Zorak's comment of "Just because your traveling with your children" seem a bit harsh and like the agent said "It's common sense that airlines will accommodate travelers with children". This is exactly my thoughts before it prompted me in calling again and in hopes to get a more satisfactory answer.
I don't think it's harsh at all - say hypothetically, every aisle and window seat was booked, leaving only middle seats when you were to check in. Do you think people who chose to pay more to select those seats should be bumped so you and your family who chose to take a cheaper fare can sit together. Especially given there is no real pressing need for you to be together - children as young as five travel on their own without parents on the flight all the time. You'll actually be on the same flight.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by tris06
Hello Caragon

I have China Airlines flight booked in December on Premium Economy. I was told as well that I can't pick my seats until 90 days out. I randomly checked out the site on July 1st and was able to pick my seats, so not really sure what their policy is regarding picking seats.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by mikelazaro
I have China Airlines flight booked in December on Premium Economy. I was told as well that I can't pick my seats until 90 days out. I randomly checked out the site on July 1st and was able to pick my seats, so not really sure what their policy is regarding picking seats.
They migrated to a new booking/reservations system a few months back, and everything's been pretty wonky and bumpy since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.