Wiki Posts
Search

KLIA stop over hotels,, need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
KLIA stop over hotels,, need recommendations

Arriving KUL 1430 and departing 12noon next day on layover flight. I was originally booking Kuala Lumpur City Center hotel then see distance as 61km.
On such short stopover I dont wanna waste 2hours each way travelling to/from City Center hotels (Train then taxi)!

What are the good chain airport convenient hotels, preferrably with shuttle service, there does not seem to be a nearby IHG/Hilton/Marriott
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:49 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
If you use the Google you will see there is an on site airport hotel called Sama Sama. Nice place.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:09 pm

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Take the KLIA Express train into the city. It takes only 28 min and just one stop from KLIA to KL Sentral station. Once there, Le Meridien and Hilton are literally 1 min away - you just need to cross the street. Sama Sama it's nice, but there is more to do in the city center than in an airport hotel.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I had a late-night arrival at KLIA recently, so I looked into this issue. The Sama Sama hotel (at least the one in the International terminal at KLIA) seems nice but is sold in 6-hour blocks. It's reasonably priced if 6 hours is all you need but is awfully expensive for any more time than that. There is a Tune hotel at KLIA2 that is a much better value for a 24-hour stay.

Unfortunately, the price for the KLIA Express has gone up to MYR 55 (from 35), but it still makes sense to go into the city for an overnight stay of more than 12 hours or so. There are hotels at Sentral for any budget, and considering that the train runs frequently and takes only 30 minutes, it's well worth the time. Data point: My flight arrived at 12:30am, and with no checked bags, I was through immigration and at the KLIA Express platform by 12:45am. The 1am KLIA Express arrived at Sentral at 1:30am, so it was only an hour from walking off the plane at KLIA to walking off the train at Sentral.

In addition to the Le Meridien and the Hilton, there is also a new Aloft hotel and an inexpensive Ascott Serviced Apartment (a brand I frequent) within a few minutes' walk, and there is a lot to do in the immediate area (no taxi or public transit necessary).
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by mihaid
Take the KLIA Express train into the city. It takes only 28 min and just one stop from KLIA to KL Sentral station. Once there, Le Meridien and Hilton are literally 1 min away - you just need to cross the street. Sama Sama it's nice, but there is more to do in the city center than in an airport hotel.
There's also aLoft and now St Regis!

KLIA Express now costs RM55 each way. That's less 12 euros!

Otherwise Google KLIA hotels and you get 2 options - Sama Sama or KLIA Concorde Hotel. The KLIA Express is inside the terminal.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
There are 3 Sama Sama hotels, btw:

Sama Sama Express is the day-use/block charging variant that mikew99 has mentioned. There's 1 each in the airside portion of KLIA and KLIA2.

Sama Sama, on the other hand, is a full-service hotel that's connected directly to KLIA. Rates aren't cheap, but it's the best hotel that you get without going into town.

There are two other alternatives that you can do in KLIA2: Capsule by Container Hotel (interesting niche and affordable prices but they charge by hourblocks) and Tune Hotel (regular hotel run with a la carte options, like AirAsia).

If you have time to spare though- get the Le Meridien or Aloft at KL Sentral. Really convenient for a bit of extra sightseeing.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by mihaid
This. Mihaid was not exaggerating when saying they are across the street from KL Sentral. On the return to the airport, OP might be able to take advantage of the check-in services at KL Sentral.

The Sama Sama is nice, but there is very little to do in the area. OP will be bored silly with such a long layover. I only stay there if I have a morning flight and don't feel like dealing with traffic.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:07 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by mikew99
I had a late-night arrival at KLIA recently, so I looked into this issue. The Sama Sama hotel (at least the one in the International terminal at KLIA) seems nice but is sold in 6-hour blocks. It's reasonably priced if 6 hours is all you need but is awfully expensive for any more time than that. There is a Tune hotel at KLIA2 that is a much better value for a 24-hour stay.

Unfortunately, the price for the KLIA Express has gone up to MYR 55 (from 35), but it still makes sense to go into the city for an overnight stay of more than 12 hours or so. There are hotels at Sentral for any budget, and considering that the train runs frequently and takes only 30 minutes, it's well worth the time. Data point: My flight arrived at 12:30am, and with no checked bags, I was through immigration and at the KLIA Express platform by 12:45am. The 1am KLIA Express arrived at Sentral at 1:30am, so it was only an hour from walking off the plane at KLIA to walking off the train at Sentral.

In addition to the Le Meridien and the Hilton, there is also a new Aloft hotel and an inexpensive Ascott Serviced Apartment (a brand I frequent) within a few minutes' walk, and there is a lot to do in the immediate area (no taxi or public transit necessary).
Sama Sama at KLIA is actually a conventional hotel that can be booked as a regular overnight-not just in 6 hour blocks.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: FB Gold, Elevate Founding Red, Avis Platinum, Sixt Gold; Krisflyer Elite Silver
Yep, download the app for the Express, buy tickets in advance, take it to Sentral and the Aloft is right there. The express train has free wifi and pretty comfortable/not crowded; at least the times I've travelled on it. Plan for long immigration lines on departure; my last experience was painfully long.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GB
Sama Sama at KLIA is actually a conventional hotel that can be booked as a regular overnight-not just in 6 hour blocks.
There are actually three Sama Sama hotels at KLIA: one inside KLIA, another inside KLIA2, and one outside security.

For my stay I was considering the Sama Sama Express inside KLIA, where the minimum charge is for 6 hours. After 6 hours, an additional charge applies, but ultimately a 12-hour stay costs twice as much as a 6-hour stay.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I stayed at the Concorde Inn near KLIA - the shuttle was efficient, and its a decent hotel for an overnight, albeit in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Thankyou all for suggestions. I agree that my 1500-1200noon transit is too long a lay over to spend at nearby airport hotel (Sama by the sound of it), especially inside terminal type charging in 6hour blocks.
For shorter layover transits of less than 8hours between landing/departure, staying inside terminal and using 6hour hotel would have been my choice, and if available Hilton at Sentral for a 1night layover.

1. Transit on Tues 28th June 1400pm-1200noon (no luggage as checked through)
o Have decided to stay at IC-KUL
(Hiton was first pricey only Exec Plus rooms and higher, then only Royal suite then sold out, I prefer to stay IHG/HH as only elite in those 2x chains)
o Was going to get train to Sentral and then read about both queueing for taxi to IC-KUL and the Uber-Taxi getting smashed up outside Sentral
o Will get black-Taxi at KLIA direct to IC-KUL
o Will get taxi IC-KUL for KLIA return to airport (similar total airport trip time as a)Taxi to Sentral b)Train to KLIA)

UPDATE POST TRIP
KLIA->Hotels
1. Annoyingly lost 10+ minutes going out to use ATM before coming back into arrivals "airside area" (just let security know first)
2. 75MYR at cash window, 5minutes later any black airport taxi car, hand over receipt for the 75euro.
3. Took just 45minutes (1745-1830) to IC-KUL (city center traffic makes little difference to journey time)
Hotels->KLIA
1. Annoyingly found out 10pm that if you ask by 4pm you get airport taxi come to hotel for same 75MYR rate
2. As asked 10pm night before departure, it is 100MYR for normal taxi
3. Took just 45minutes (1010-1055) IC-KUL -> KLIA (city center traffic makes little difference to journey time in morning)

2. Weekend trip Sat 3rd July (arrive 0900) - Mon 5th (depart 1200) and with 1x suitcase
o Night(1) Sat at IC-KUL , using Black taxi from KLIA
o Night(2) Sun at Hilton-KUL (Sentral)
o Return to airport using train AND will allow me to try MH Luggage drop at Sentral

Last edited by scubaccr; Jun 29, 2016 at 6:43 am
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Pay with your mastercard credit card at the train ticket machines and save 20% for a one way or two way train ticket to KLIA from KL Sentral to the airport.

Taxi: you arrive at KL Sentral, go up to the KTM ticket counter level. There is a ticket counter here for budget taxis. If you buy a taxi ticket at the KLIA Train arrival level as you pass through the gates, you will end up with the slightly more expensive blue taxi's to choose from.

Taxis: all taxi's use a coupon system that you pre-pay for depending on where you are going. It is a straight forward method and I never have problems everytime I fly in with the exception when there is heavy rain and potential flooding in the KL city area or during Friday prayers when there are less taxi's available sometimes.

KL Traffic by taxi: it does matter what time you take a taxi into the city and where you are going. Avoid trying to get into the city by taxi during peak hours (i.e 7am-9am) and trying to get out of the city from 5pm-8pm.

Taxi Prices: You got ripped off. The surcharge for airport taxi's only kicks in after midnight. The normal rate is about RM75-RM80 for a one way transfer, DEPENDING on what type of vehicle you get (i.e. a normal budget taxi vs a blue cab vs a limo). I pay about RM100-RM120 for a private blue taxi as I always use the same driver when I am in KL and he is reliable and does not drive like an idiot. I prefer the slightly more comfortable SUV type vehicle so I pay more which is fine.

Last edited by wolf72; Nov 20, 2016 at 2:43 am
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Was looking at the Sama Sama and through hotel website it offers a family room when looking at booking for four adults (actually 2 adults and 2 young adults). I then see it contradicts itself and says family room is for 2A + 2C. Anyone had experience of booking a family room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.