Connecting from Delta to Garuda in AMS - Separate Tix

Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:43 pm
jer
Original Poster

Location: My childhood was typical: Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.
Connecting from Delta to Garuda in AMS - Separate Tix

Hi All,

I am taking my wife and mother to Indonesia next week. I booked paid Y tix on Delta to AMS, arriving at 8 a.m., then connecting to award C tix from AMS-CGK leaving at 3:45 p.m.

Does anyone know whether:

1) I will be able to check our bags all the way through to CGK on Delta leaving the US (we depart from ROC via ATL)?

2) Whether I will need to clear customs to check in for Garuda in AMS?

I want to book a day room at the AMS Mercure hotel inside the AMS terminal, but am not sure it is worth it if we have to clear immigration, collect bags, and then wait until Garuda check in opens.

Then in Jakarta, we have a four hour layover until connecting to yet another separate ticket to Yogyakarta. Does anyone have experience with J arrivals in CGK? Is it efficient? My wife has MS and we have requested wheelchair assistance, but hope that I have enough time to clear immigration etc and make the connection.

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks
Jer

Edited to add that both usa-ams and ams-cgk were booked through delta.com. The domestoc Garuda flight was booked through Garuda and is also in C.

Last edited by jer; Dec 25, 2015 at 3:18 pm
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:17 am

I know for sure DL has an interline agreement w/ GA. So, I think, you'll be able to check-in your baggage through to JOG via ATL, AMS and CGK. Show the DL agent at ROC your GA tickets upon check-in. I'm not sure DL will be able to issue your GA boarding passes considering it's a separate PNRs. However, upon arrival in AMS, go to the "Connection Help Desk" and talk to KLM service agent (I wouldn't even try to use the kiosk, so talk to a real agent there) and ask them to issue your boarding pass. Show them your baggage tags that were issued by DL so that they can put in into your check-in status info. Thus, I don't think you have to clear immigration/customs in AMS; however, if GA departs from a different terminal than DL arrival terminal, then you'll need to clear both immigration/customs.

I'm not so sure about connecting in Jakarta considering it is your first point of entry into Indonesia. You may have to clear immigration/customs and proceed to the connecting lounge for business class. Call/email Garuda just to be cleared.

Because one of the parties required a wheelchair, it'll be even faster since you'll be going through separate lanes on arrival in CGK. They have a specific wheelchair access immigration/customs and check-in facilities at CGK. Do make sure that you inform the crew members on GA flight from AMS that you'll need a wheelchair upon arrival in Jakarta. Give them plenty of time to process it so that they can reconfirm your wheelchair request w/ CGK staff prior to landing.

Last edited by SeaMeFly; Dec 26, 2015 at 7:23 am
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You should have a look at this recent thread in the DL forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ry-2016-a.html
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:46 pm
jer
Original Poster

Many thanks for the info and advice! I'll report back on how it goes.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak
You should have a look at this recent thread in the DL forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ry-2016-a.html
It sounds like OP has a paid Delta ticket ROC-ATL-AMS and a SkyMiles ticket AMS-CGK. Based on that, I think the luggage should be able to be checked to CGK according to the thread you linked. However, I would expect OP to have to collect luggage at CGK.

In cases as noted below, when more than one ticket is presented, Delta will continue to through-check baggage from the origin to the destination.
  • SkyMiles Award plus a ticket with Delta-marketed / Delta-operated flights
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mattp1987
It sounds like OP has a paid Delta ticket ROC-ATL-AMS and a SkyMiles ticket AMS-CGK. Based on that, I think the luggage should be able to be checked to CGK according to the thread you linked. However, I would expect OP to have to collect luggage at CGK.
According to the delta message I linked, I would say no because the OP is flying Garuda from AMS to CGK and GA is not listed in the partners for which they accept to check bags through on separate tickets. Booked with cash of with SkyPesos miles does not change the fact it is a GA ticket.
And for bags collection in CGK, yes : mandatory to clear immigration and customs at CGK before flying to JOG. I have made this connection recently.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:10 am
jer
Original Poster

So it took some computer work, but the gate agent in ROC checked them directly through to CGK. ^ Transiting AMS at the moment, we'll see if they come out the other end in Jakarta.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by jer
So it took some computer work, but the gate agent in ROC checked them directly through to CGK. ^ Transiting AMS at the moment, we'll see if they come out the other end in Jakarta.
Great ! Good to know that there are still some agents willing to help the customers despite the stupid policies of their airline.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jer
The CGK-JOG flight will leave from the same terminal in CGK. You have to clear immigration and customs at CGK. Wheelchair transit should help it make it faster.

Enjoy JOG!
Currently it is getting crazy hot in the afternoon with significant thunderstorms. So, visit the temples in the morning (finish before 11AM if possible).
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:25 pm
jer
Original Poster

So far Garuda has proved excellent at accommodating wheelchairs. We were met at the gate in CGK and whisked through a special immigration line. After clearing, they took us to a priority luggage claim lounge, where we waited while they collected our bags. Not sure I would recommend that, as I think we could have managed the luggage collection more efficiently, but a nice idea. Then on to the Garuda business lounge. They left us there for a few hours, then picked us up and took us directly to the connecting flight to JOG. Garuda flight staff have been wonderful.

Borobudur was a challenge, but my wife loved it, even if she was unable to actually climb the monument. I would certainly encourage anyone with mobility issues wondering about tourism in Indonesia to go for it.

Today's flight on to Bali is in economy, so we'll see if there is any difference.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by jer
So far Garuda has proved excellent at accommodating wheelchairs. We were met at the gate in CGK and whisked through a special immigration line. After clearing, they took us to a priority luggage claim lounge, where we waited while they collected our bags. Not sure I would recommend that, as I think we could have managed the luggage collection more efficiently, but a nice idea. Then on to the Garuda business lounge. They left us there for a few hours, then picked us up and took us directly to the connecting flight to JOG. Garuda flight staff have been wonderful.

Borobudur was a challenge, but my wife loved it, even if she was unable to actually climb the monument. I would certainly encourage anyone with mobility issues wondering about tourism in Indonesia to go for it.

Today's flight on to Bali is in economy, so we'll see if there is any difference.
great to hear!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.