LGK-PEN on Firefly for MYR50 or wait for AirAsia sale?

Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

LGK-PEN on Firefly for MYR50 or wait for AirAsia sale?

I'm looking at flying from Langkawi to Penang next summer. It's a very short flight, at 130km. Firefly has a fare right now for MYR50 all in. I will have some baggage.

Should I jump on this fare, or should I wait for something cheaper down the line? Perhaps from AirAsia? I've heard that AirAsia sometimes has fly for free (pay taxes and add-ons).

Sorry, I'm not familiar with LCC in SE Asia, so unsure if this is a good deal or not. Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by bmchris
I'm looking at flying from Langkawi to Penang next summer. It's a very short flight, at 130km. Firefly has a fare right now for MYR50 all in. I will have some baggage.

Should I jump on this fare, or should I wait for something cheaper down the line? Perhaps from AirAsia? I've heard that AirAsia sometimes has fly for free (pay taxes and add-ons).

Sorry, I'm not familiar with LCC in SE Asia, so unsure if this is a good deal or not. Thanks!

MYR50 is just 10euros, so would definitely just go ahead and book that. Even a free seat + luggage + taxes + card fee with Air Asia would be more than that.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:44 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

No matter in what currency, I will grab it. I think its a bargain especially with this pseudo LCC airline - with AirAsia you will most probably pay more even if they have a sale - unless you don't need the baggage, the water, the snack, the covenience of not printing your own boarding pass, etc...and most importantly flying on an ATR with less passengers.

Cheers!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:56 am

You're not going to do much better than RM50 all in. Go for it.

This flight is really short, and flies generally quite low, and is picturesque as you approach or depart from LGK. I'd rather enjoy the sights an FY turboprop to be honest.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Booked. Thank you for all the feedback!

I'm going to tough it out and not get "extra seat".

Last edited by bmchris; Oct 1, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
No matter in what currency, I will grab it. I think its a bargain especially with this pseudo LCC airline - with AirAsia you will most probably pay more even if they have a sale - unless you don't need the baggage, the water, the snack, the covenience of not printing your own boarding pass, etc...and most importantly flying on an ATR with less passengers.

Cheers!
I don't know why you call Firefly a 'pseudo LCC' - however my personal experience was great- nice crew- nice aircraft - on time schedule- enjoy !

I flew both, AirAsia and Firefly many times - especially flying in an ATR in a lower cruising altitude than the AirAsia Airbus is fun
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Holy smoke. The fare sale ended, and the price is now MYR120.25. Prior to the MYR50 I paid, it was MYR59, then went to MYR79. I was thinking it would revert to MYR79.

It seems like pricing is dynamic, and more unpredictable. I hope this data point helps others. Within about 4 weeks, I've seen 4 prices - 50, 59, 79, 120.25. If you have time, it MAY be worthwhile to be patient and track pricing each day.

Thanks!

Last edited by bmchris; Oct 5, 2015 at 10:08 am
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Hi bmchris - very interesting to think someone would be concerned that MYR50 is not a good deal! Sounds like a free ticket.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by nanyang
Hi bmchris - very interesting to think someone would be concerned that MYR50 is not a good deal! Sounds like a free ticket.
Indeed. Even the 120.25 MRY is a deal.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nanyang
Sounds like a free ticket.
Far from it. A free ticket would be just Taxes and Statutory Fees. AirAsia was selling those for MYR9 earlier on. Naturally, add on a few fees, you could probably get it around MYR35 without baggage etc. 30% less than Firefly.

Here's the breakdown of my fare (each ticket - I bought a few for the family):

Base Fare: 8.68
Admin Fee: 30.00
Airport Tax: 9.00
GST: 2.32

The living standards in Malaysia are lower than Singapore, Hong Kong, Europe and North America I heard, so money definitely goes further.

Here's another way to look at it. The ATR72 has 72 seats. Selling each seat for MYR38.68, nets Firefly MYR2784.96. For a 15 minute flight, that may not be too bad.

For me personally, I'm more interested in getting the low fare from an experience of a LCC point of view, having never flown a LCC in Asia. The ferry is actually similarly priced at MYR60, and which goes right into Georgetown, so it's not a clear cut choice on what mode of transport to take when priced similarly.

Last edited by bmchris; Oct 6, 2015 at 11:32 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Far from it. A free ticket would be just Taxes and Statutory Fees. AirAsia was selling those for MYR9 earlier on. Naturally, add on a few fees, you could probably get it around MYR35 without baggage etc. 30% less than Firefly.

Here's the breakdown of my fare (each ticket - I bought a few for the family):

Base Fare: 8.68
Admin Fee: 30.00
Airport Tax: 9.00
GST: 2.32

The living standards in Malaysia are lower than Singapore, Hong Kong, Europe and North America I heard, so money definitely goes further.

Here's another way to look at it. The ATR72 has 72 seats. Selling each seat for MYR38.68, nets Firefly MYR2784.96. For a 15 minute flight, that may not be too bad.

For me personally, I'm more interested in getting the low fare from an experience of a LCC point of view, having never flown a LCC in Asia. The ferry is actually similarly priced at MYR60, and which goes right into Georgetown, so it's not a clear cut choice on what mode of transport to take when priced similarly.
Some costs might be cheaper in Malaysia than somewhere else, but the prices of fuel, aircraft and pilots - for example - are driven by global markets.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Far from it. A free ticket would be just Taxes and Statutory Fees.
I think you're being too literal in your interpretation of a "free" ticket. $11.60 USD, for any flight, regardless of length, is getting pretty close to a free ticket.

And whilst no doubt they won't be selling all seats on the flight at the level you paid, I doubt that getting MYR2784.96 or $650 USD is "not too bad", remembering that 15 mins in the air still means the aircraft and staff need to be there for at least 45 mins .... accounting for boarding, taxiing, flying, taxiing and disembarkation.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Fare is now MYR49. Another fare variation. Firefly reduced their portion by just under MYR1.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
The ATR72 costs around USD 5000/hour to keep in the air, accounting for all costs: staff, fuel, maintenance, landing fees etc.

It's well known in the aviation industry in Malaysia that Firefly runs just above break-even costs, making little or no profit. But its parent company Malaysia Airlines doesn't seem to mind.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by seattle29
The ATR72 costs around USD 5000/hour to keep in the air, accounting for all costs: staff, fuel, maintenance, landing fees etc.

It's well known in the aviation industry in Malaysia that Firefly runs just above break-even costs, making little or no profit. But its parent company Malaysia Airlines doesn't seem to mind.
I would imagine that pricing strategy is being re-examined in KL by the new Malaysia Airlines mgmt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.