Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice sought RE: Airline Error in BCC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Advice sought RE: Airline Error in BCC

I'm a Premier Elite with Philippine Airlines, and have since discovered how useless this status is, with none of the advertised features existing most of the time other than 25% bonus miles and lounge access (I don't fly to the US).

In an attempt to use the 2 Upgrade Travel Certificates provided (which are expiring next month), I found that on the Internet the booking class code is invalid most of the time in order to avail of the UTCs. This is for the highest economy fare that can be booked online.

I spoke to the phone reservations and was advised that I cannot book a custom booking class code over the phone, and must proceed to the PAL reservations office. I went there and was advised by the PAL employee of a return flight with a booking class code that was eligible for the use of the UTCs. The cost of the fare was $140 USD more expensive, to which I obliged.

During the booking I asked the employee (not an agent, this is an actual PAL ticket office), whether the ticket was being booked under a booking class code that was definitely eligible for use of the UTCs. She advised me yes, it was. And I inquired one last time when I received the ticket just to make sure - no doubt sounding pedantic, and again was advised the ticket was of a booking class that was upgradeable with UTCs for both legs on the return ticket.

So I then called the reservations to reserve a business class seat for both legs of my journey using my two UTCs. I found out that for one of the flights, no UTC eligible seats were available regardless of the BCC. I stated that during this time of year I know from experience that most of business class is empty, and that this is strange. She stated however that whilst there may be many free seats, none were available for economy upgrade using an UTC, regardless of the booking class.

I could accept this, however disastrous this policy is - but the next part is what I cannot accept.

I was advised that for the return flight, there were eligible seats in business class for an UTC, however my booking class code wasn't eligible for UTC anyway, for either leg of the journey. I stated that I went to their own ticket office to specifically reserve a fare, $140 more expensive than I could have gotten on the Internet, purely to be 100% certain that my ticket was eligible for UTC. She advised it wasn't, and opened a case. I was promised a call-back from a supervisor the same day.

Call-back didn't arrive. 2 days later I called again, was told the case was being investigated and a supervisor would call me again. Nothing happened. Again I called the next day to ask when the supervisor was going to call, again promised they would call by the end of the day. Again nothing.

On Saturday, same story. However the lady on the phone mentioned that my request for a consideration of a waiver of the rebooking fee was currently under review with management in Manila. I didn't request a waiver of the rebooking fee - I specifically requested a full refund without penalty, or for a free upgrade to an appropriate booking class code that was eligible for UTC use. She confirmed that I'd still have to pay extra to upgrade to the appropriate booking class, and that the case was only considering whether I'd be able to have my rebooking fee waived. There was no way I'd spend $200+ extra on an economy fare compared to what I can book on the Internet to have the privilege of using these UTCs with no guarantee there were slots available for upgrade. I can already pay $500 on any ticket class at the airport, as any non-frequent flyer can, and avail of a guaranteed upgrade directly anyway. Was advised a supervisor would call me back that day. Nothing happened.

Now on monday I called through again, this time, now a week later, a supervisor finally called to advise the case had been forwarded to the central office for investigation and that she would contact me tomorrow for an update. Now knowing how PAL middle-management works, I realize this could take weeks. The airline is unfortunately gridlocked from making any decisions that don't go through middle-management in my experience.

My question is, since my flight is now in 2 weeks; In the event I don't receive a full refund for this ticket without any fees, would it be advisible to conduct a chargeback with my bank under the pretense this was basically a misleading transaction? I plan to fly with PAL in future unfortunately, since there's no non-budget carrier that's respectable in the Philippines (where I conduct my business). Would this jeopardize my relationship with the airline?

I certainly won't be using them anymore for International flights after this, only domestic ones, having now seeing what a farce their UTCs are, and the expensive booking class codes required to have a "chance" of availing of them, what an outright sham the frequent flyer system is.

Any advise appreciated. Should I just accept it, and waste the $140 on a useless booking class code if this has the unfavourable outcome that I'm expecting? I certainly have learned not to expect anything much from PAL - in fact non-frequent flyers seem to be afforded better treatment. But that's another story.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Suggest you ask the mod to move this post to the "Other Asian airlines" thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-airlines-470/
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Will do, thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:01 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The required fare buckets (BCC's) to use your upgrade certificate are published here: https://www1.mabuhaymiles.com/member...premier-elite/

It looks like for all non-domestic routes this has been standardised to: W / N / Y / S / L / M / H / Q / V

Surely if you went to a ticket office to book you would make sure to check the ticket you were purchasing and confirm the fare buckets of each flight are upgradeable?

Is the fare bucket for each flight shown on the ticket you purchased?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

It is, but I'd expect an airline ticketing employee to book a ticket that had an upgradeable UTC when requested, or do you suggest this responsibility lies with the passenger?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think this is a HUCA issue. (Hang Up, Call Again). You were clearly dealing with at least one person who didn't know what they were doing (probably at least two). Your booking should show your fare basis, the first letter of which is the fare bucket that you have bought. I would think that on that basis, and what is noted in the website, you should be able to apply your upgrades (where there is space). If you are being told that you cannot, I would imagine that after further effort, you should get your money back.

Last edited by LondonElite; Sep 8, 2015 at 1:58 am
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:45 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by avaelr
It is, but I'd expect an airline ticketing employee to book a ticket that had an upgradeable UTC when requested, or do you suggest this responsibility lies with the passenger?
The ticket agent should know, but in the end it is your responsibility. Unless your interaction was recorded or the agent recorded that your ticket could be fully upgrade, you'll likely end up in a your word against theirs situation.

I assume that you were shown the full ticket prior to purchase which listed all the fare buckets. It would have been very easy to check yourself that they were correct.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
The ticket agent should know, but in the end it is your responsibility. Unless your interaction was recorded or the agent recorded that your ticket could be fully upgrade, you'll likely end up in a your word against theirs situation.

I assume that you were shown the full ticket prior to purchase which listed all the fare buckets. It would have been very easy to check yourself that they were correct.
You're right, if it did get to that situation I guess I would *technically* be at fault. More the fool me for expecting an airline to be able to book a ticket I requested without having to fact-check everything in the booking class codes. Lesson learned.

On another note, wouldn't this technically fall under fraudulent advertising? Being told to follow a set of procedures to avail of the UTC (go into the booking office, book the ticket requesting the UTC validity, all of which I followed) only to have been issued a ticket that was incorrect? Also thinking of it, I actually displayed the two UTC's and handed them to her to make absolutely sure the ticket was valid for their use, no doubt which would have been recorded on some CCTV camera.

I would hope that if it did come to it everyone could keep the situation honest. If they did want to lie I'd just give up, but in saying that I don't think that would happen. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt; the frontline people in PAL have always been very professional and courteous I found, this lady included. An honest mistake on her part which I can understand, but at the end of the day it's a costly mistake which I must pay the price for.

Even if I do get this refunded, when I rebook the ticket the price will have gone up. I just would have thought a decent thing to do for a customer when the company is at-fault would be to compensate them for at least the product they were told they'd purchased. Penny pinching loyal customers is bad for business and only results in short-term gain for the company, nevertheless it seems the new norm.

Last edited by avaelr; Sep 8, 2015 at 5:48 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:22 pm

This sounds discouraging. Your frustrating experience dealing with PAL customer service is similar to mine. How long are UTCs valid for once issued?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.