Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines CI seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
China Airlines CI seat selection

Ok it says on their webiste:

Non members or Dynasty card holders whose tickets booking codes N / L / X / G / S are excluded from seat selection.

What if I have one of those booking class/codes but I am Sky Team Elite/Elite Plus, will they allow me to select a seat?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage

Non members or Dynasty card holders whose tickets booking codes N / L / X / G / S are excluded from seat selection.

What if I have one of those booking class/codes but I am Sky Team Elite/Elite Plus, will they allow me to select a seat?
I am guessing not since they don't allow their own elite members to select seats with those booking codes.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Actually I believe gold members and above can seat select even with these tickets.

Skyteam elites? Well not sure.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by tris06
Actually I believe gold members and above can seat select even with these tickets.
They can, but I don't think the system will automatically let that happen; my mom had to call in to make them let her select her seat.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

You are considered a non-member of the Dynasty program even if you hold Skyteam Elite/Elite Plus from another airline.

You may call to select seats if you hold those tickets and are also a Gold, Emerald or Paragon member, but Gold cannot select exit rows.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
You are considered a non-member of the Dynasty program even if you hold Skyteam Elite/Elite Plus from another airline.

You may call to select seats if you hold those tickets and are also a Gold, Emerald or Paragon member, but Gold cannot select exit rows.
But isn't it one of the Sky Team Elite/Elite Plus benefits is preferred seating?

Though I agree that an airline might put some restriction to it.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:41 am

But isn't it one of the Sky Team Elite/Elite Plus benefits is preferred seating?

Though I agree that an airline might put some restriction to it.
I'm going to assume that fare rules trump STE/STE+. IIRC, elites can't select seats on Delta's E fares.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
resurrecting this thread rather than start a new one:

Flying SFO-TPE // TPE-NRT // KIX-TPE-SFO next year, booked with DL SkyPesos. TPE-NRT in economy and the rest in biz, all on CI. I obtained the CI PNRs from Delta Twitter so I could select seats.

For the TPE-NRT leg we were banished to row 56. Then I remembered that mom is DFP Gold and switched her info in the CI reservation. This opened up seating as far as row 34, but it wouldn't stick. It seemed like the web site was willing to let her sit there but not me. I called CI and I'm not quite sure I understood what the phone agent was saying but she seemed to think that it would work via the web site if we'd booked individually but not since we were on the same reservation. Anyway she had no problem moving us to row 34. It's still not clear to me whether I as DL DM/STE+ should have access to these seats on my own.

The J awards are booked in O and the Y award in X. It's also not clear to me whether the award X is the same as the same X mentioned on the Earn Miles page that is part of the L/X/G/S seat selection exclusion, because the same page doesn't mention O at all (but the Ticket Awards page does).

Anyway my is mostly academic/rhetorical since I got seats 20+ rows forward
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
As another point of reference, we've booked an open-jaw HKG-TPE-SFO/LAX-TPE-HKG on booking classed T/R/X/N (different for each leg for some reason). We are both STEP (gold on SU). Seat selection was allowed online but many seats blocked even 179 days before departure. One of the flights includes bulkhead seats.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:57 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Yeah this happens with many airlines.

So most seats upfront or in preferred locations can be blocked.

A good example is CZ with my CI membership they still always block the first 3 rows.

Even in business class B787 where there are only 5 rows in total they still block the 1st 3 rows and so usually you almost have no choice.

Generally there is little you can do apart from turning up earlier at the airport to try and get that preferred seat on check in.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:58 pm

I'm booked in Premium Economy (Class "A") for flights LAX-TPE and TPE-LAX. The LAX-TPE seat selection was fine, but TPE-LAX showed zero seats available for selection at booking. Nothing has opened up on the seatmap for TPE-LAX since booking, however Expert Flyer shows quite a few seats as blocked.

Any sense of how close to departure CI will release the blocked seats?

Any experiences with calling in and pushing for a confirmed seat -vs- hoping all goes well at checkin?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Far From Home
I'm booked in Premium Economy (Class "A") for flights LAX-TPE and TPE-LAX. The LAX-TPE seat selection was fine, but TPE-LAX showed zero seats available for selection at booking. Nothing has opened up on the seatmap for TPE-LAX since booking, however Expert Flyer shows quite a few seats as blocked.

Any sense of how close to departure CI will release the blocked seats?

Any experiences with calling in and pushing for a confirmed seat -vs- hoping all goes well at checkin?
I believe some of the seats are blocked for higher fare classes while and some of the seats are blocker for higher-level FF passengers. It should clear up at check-in.
Far From Home likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Feel like I might as well revive this thread for my question:

I have an upcoming flight in J NRT-TPE - there is no seatmap online. When I go to select seats it just says "no seatmap available" - however, the onward connecting flight I can select seats just fine. What's even more odd is that another person in our group is booked on the same flight but in Y - and they ARE able to select seats for the exact same flight. What's going on here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.