Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Airlines New 777-300er Business Class - Trip Reports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

Has anyone flown the LAX-TPE, TPE-LAX or any other route on CI's new B777-300ER in business class, with the reverse-herringbone seating? Any trip reports? The only thing I can find in the forums and online are reports from the test flights for media outlets. Would love to hear some more recent opinions.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:17 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
There was 1 report from a member here when the B777 was doing daily TPE-HKG.
Not a long flight but if your a bit big person it does seem to be lacking width if remeber correctly from his report.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:31 pm

I didn't write a TR because I didn't really take any pictures, but I flew it TPE-LAX about a week ago. Flew in their older Business Class on the way to TPE so in retrospect that would've been a great way to compare the two.

It's.... a comfortable seat? I don't like how the remote is in one of the cubbies (especially since it has a second screen) and the seat controls drove me kinda nuts, but I like the table (it's a lot larger than the table on their older seat). Sitting at an angle just felt kinda weird to me, and it's kinda hard to get out of the seat if you're in a non-upright position.

The mid-cabin "lounge" is kinda nice, but I find it a bit awkward since it's also a galley; it doesn't really feel all that lounge-y.

The service items, aside from the fruit and salad bowls (which I found hilarious) are a lot nicer; the soup is a nice touch. Never tried the mid-flight snack, but I had some instant noodles, which weren't too bad.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I did a report on the 2nd CI 77W flight (TPE-HKG) in business class.

trip report
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks everyone! Luckily I am a rather small person so I think I'll find the seat roomy enough.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I'd be interested in a review as well. Are these lay flat seats? Price to buy for cash is quite reasonable... making me worry "you get what you pay for".

Bu according to SeatGuru these planes now have full lay flat biz class http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Chi..._777_300ER.php

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Dec 4, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'd be interested in a review as well. Are these lay flat seats? Price to buy for cash is quite reasonable... making me worry "you get what you pay for".

Bu according to SeatGuru these planes now have full lay flat biz class http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Chi..._777_300ER.php
FYI you posted a link to a SeatGuru page for China Eastern (MU) but posted in a thread about China Airlines (CI)
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
FYI you posted a link to a SeatGuru page for China Eastern (MU) but posted in a thread about China Airlines (CI)
Both have lie-flat seats anyway.

I'm flying them again in about three months. Maybe I'll try to write up a proper report next time. Probably too late to be useful by then, though.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Same seats pretty much different food and service.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Zorak
I know. I made a mistake in that I initially thought they were one in the same. It is China Airlines (TPE - LAX) I am looking into flying.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google is your friend...

http://thedesignair.net/2015/09/16/t...eptember-2015/
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Yes lie flat in business class on CI 77W. I posted a link to my trip report in post #4 above.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: The Embassy
My god, I love this plane.

The seat is amazing, and I think my favourite business class seat to date. Lots of very clever touches and attention to detail. The storage is a little unusual, but I think there’s a little flash of genius there: two shallow but wide trays, one of which contains USB chargers and the IFE remote (so you won’t change it with your arm). While they’re shallow, they’re the perfect shape for magazines, Kindle, passport, phone, and other little knick-knacks. There’s a good size well by the window-side knee and the aisle-side arm rest is also a locker.

The fake bamboo décor everywhere is a little naff, but perfectly pleasant, and there’s no air nozzle but the cabin temperature was kept at a reasonable level.

The seat has a real sense of space about it. With the bed extended, I (5’10) couldn’t touch the end with my feet extended, and my feet didn’t feel cramped together in the tapered end like on a lot of seats. The seat has oodles of room, and is really very comfortable.

The seat is also pretty private – the way the head-board is constructed hides you from other passengers, and hides them from you – I’ve only been on First Class seats that provide such a sense of privacy. This is useful when the couple in front of you decide that changing their baby’s nappy at the seat is appropriate.

There’s just a real sense of clever design about the seat – from the table that retracts slightly upwards to make it easier to get out, the little lamp to provide reading light rather than a harsh spot-light, to the many areas where they’ve indented plastic around the seat to give you just a little bit more room. I will be looking to use China Airlines to cross the Pacific next time, as I could happily spend a long time in this seat.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:35 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Yup

And this same design is getting rolled out to all long and medium haul destinations (Europe, Americas and etc.) over the next 18 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.