Search

Blocked seats on Air China

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver

Hi,

I have booked a flight on Air China from CDG-PEK (77W), for this Summer, and I was surprised to see that CA blocks most seats in Y.
The first row available is 50!

I don't like to be seated at the rear of a plane.

Do you know if all these blocked will become available at one point?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Hello,

You can purchase those seats by calling in to Air China.

They charge $100 USD to reserve seating in the U.S. so not sure how many Euro's they will charge.

Even if you take a crappy middle seat for rows less than 50 , you still have to pay the same fee as you would to get a better economy seat.

They all become avail during check-in. CA cares less if it's a senior aged passenger.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

ok, thanks TennisNoob .

How much time in advance is on line check in available?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:15 pm

Im sure 24 hours not sure any earlier.

Personally I never check-in Online because it doesn't help.
You can't select seats online prior to physical check-in at the airport for free, and it loses your ability to cancel a ticket should you ever have a flat tire or something otw to the Airport.

Definitely CA is really good about easy selection of seats during check-in. Just work with the TA
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Ok thanks
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:02 am

Anytime!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:21 am

How do you select seats on AC?!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:33 am

For Air China you have to call them to select seats. As listed above there's a $100 fee for international flights if you choose even a crappy middle seat in the "Forward Cabin" of the Economy Class Section.

Wait till Check-In and work your magic with the check-in agents to get that first row 2 person seat.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They also seem to hold all exit row seats until airport check in time. I have been able to get the exit row by asking for it at check in about 90% of the time.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
They also seem to hold all exit row seats until airport check in time. I have been able to get the exit row by asking for it at check in about 90% of the time.
If you add bulkhead aisles (which have tons of legroom on most PRC planes) to the mix, my good seat percentage is 99%. On my mainstay routes, it seems that few people know that it's possible to ask for good seats (e.g. the back of the plane gets packed to the gills while the first 4 or 5 rows are often mostly empty). I have never even considered selecting seats in advance.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know where to find a seating chart of available seats for a particular flight? I want to know which seats are available before approaching the desk to change seats

Has anyone traveled on Air China via another carrier? I am flying United from AUS-SFO before my Air China flight from SFO-PEK. Wondering if I can get my Air China seat selection done when I check in with United - or if I have to go see an AC agent in SFO. (I do have a ~5 hr layover in SFO and Pre, so I have time to exit security to go see an counter agent if needed)
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Does anyone know where to find a seating chart of available seats for a particular flight? I want to know which seats are available before approaching the desk to change seats

Has anyone traveled on Air China via another carrier? I am flying United from AUS-SFO before my Air China flight from SFO-PEK. Wondering if I can get my Air China seat selection done when I check in with United - or if I have to go see an AC agent in SFO. (I do have a ~5 hr layover in SFO and Pre, so I have time to exit security to go see an counter agent if needed)

You will get your seat assignment in AUS, but I think the united agent will just randomly assign one to you.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:51 pm

Location: SYD: Fly and fly... UA UGS 1K MM, SQ PPS, SPG/PC Platinum
Just encountered this issue when dealing with my SO's work ticket. The forward Y cabin on A330 was for fee only and could only get rows 54. I understand their online check-in will open around 30 hours before departure.

This particular arrangement seems to be similar for SQ's Y class but SQ opens all seats for online selection 3-4 days prior. Annoying but seems to be the flavour of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.