Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Have you ever paid over $100 for 14kg a carry-on bag? TigerAir did to me twice.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever paid over $100 for 14kg a carry-on bag? TigerAir did to me twice.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Exclamation Have you ever paid over $100 for 14kg a carry-on bag? TigerAir did to me twice.

The story is like this.

My wife and I took Tiger Air, flying from Sydney to Cairns this morning. It was supposed to be one of the most exciting segments of our RTW this year.

We checked in online the night before, but we didn’t select the check-in luggage option online, thought we can always do that in the airport if we really want to, which later proved we were too naive.

Without worrying too much, we arrived at the check-in counter. The agent was pretty friendly in the beginning, perfunctory smiles and whatnot at least, before we showed her our Chinese Passports, scornful impatience appeared on her face immediately - “I need to weight you bag, Sir!”

“Okay, sure.” My bag weighted 14 kg and 3 kg of my backpack, 17 kg total.

“You have to check in the carry-on bag, because you can only have 10 kg carry on.”

“Okay…sure. Let’s check the bag in then.”

“That’s $90AUD for per bag, and $97.5 AUD if you want to use your credit card. Because you didn’t select the check-in luggage option online when you checked in last night. You would only have to pay $20 per bag online. But it’s too late now, you have to do this 4 hours before the flight" Notcing my wife pulling off her cellphone, she interrupted "You can’t do it now!"

“WHAT? Are you serious? $90 per bag?”

“Yes sir. The gate is closing in 3 min (we had waited 10 min in the line, we still had 50 min before boarding). You have to pay now.”

My wife and I were both stunned. But we had no choice.

When we about to pay, she continued “How about the other bag?” pointing at my wife’s carry-on bag, “I have to weight that too, with everything she has.”

Guess what? It turned out over 10kg too... (but the carry-on bag itself was only about approximately 7kg)

“Sir you have to pay $90 for her bag as well. $97.5 if you use credit cards. You have to pay it now”

Because we didn’t have that much cash on us, in the end we paid $196 AUD for two carry-on bags total weight was probably less than 17 Kg. What a price gouging! The worst part was we felt we were discriminate, as she treated us like second class citizens, turning a blind eye on other passengers. She did everything she could to rip us off.

Cairns is our last stop for our RTW this year, so far we’ve traveled with 1 carry-on bag + 1 backpack each person to everywhere: New York (Air Canada, Cairo (Egypt Air), Johannesburg ( Egypt Air), Cape Town(Kulula),Singapore (Singapore Air), Sydney(Singapore Air) without any issue at all. We can certainly tell Tigerair was the worst airline we ever used, old aircraft, narrow seat, bad customer service, (but probably the most profitable, ‘surprise!’…), Kulula was surprisingly good actually.(brand new 737-800 nice crew, well trained).

We just called TigerAir customer support, asking if they have a transparent price list for luggage. Guess what? It’s only $85 for bags over 15 Kg for flight longer than 1:45 hours, but we had one 14kg and one 7kg bag. Another surprise. LOL http://www.tigerair.com/au/en/fees2.php

Anyway I’m going to file a complaint, let’s hear what they have to say.

Here are the carryon bags we have, just regular, nothing over-sized.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The ancillary fees are how these ULCC discount airlines make their money. That and very strict about weight limits. If they overcharged you should get a refund. These airlines are not known for their customer service just the basics

The high fees are very well displayed during the booking process so it shouldn't have been such a shock when you arrived at the airport.

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 14, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:10 pm

You didn't study the tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CDKing
The ancillary fees are how these ULCC discount airlines make their money. That and very strict about weight limits. If they overcharged you should get a refund.

The high fees are very well displayed during the booking process so it shouldn't have been such a shock whne you arrive.
what would be the best strategy? the support line I called didn't seem have any interests.

I should have just booked with Qantas. With the $100 extra charge I paid per person, Qantas was actually cheaper and nicer (probably?).
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Best place to start is the Customer Service portal (page is running slow for me)

http://gethelp.tigerair.com/pages/intro.php

Also note i checked the luggage details page and what you paid for was the 15KG teir (up to 15KG) which appears to be the only weight package you can purchase after t-4 hours. so it was only a slight overcharge. I'm not sure the $8.50 service fee apples or not but that extra fee to use the CC may be correct
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
You didn't study the tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM
Lol! Apparently I didn't.
It's not like this in Canada, West Jet and Porter are much better, in terms of price and service.

Very funny video, I can totally relate it with TigerAir^^
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:45 pm

90% to blame on yourself.

You apparently arrived less than 15min before CI deadline, definitely knowing your luggage was over the limit, and allowing too little time to repack etc.

I'm sure they don't make up rules, but that's rather how LCC carriers work.

Not a good experience, but then even "quality" (joke, haha) carriers like Lufthansa will charge their highest class status members when they've 2kg too much in their CI luggage. The world of todays airline industry works this way..
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Best place to start is the Customer Service portal (page is running slow for me)

http://gethelp.tigerair.com/pages/intro.php

Also note i checked the luggage details page and what you paid for was the 15KG teir (up to 15KG) which appears to be the only weight package you can purchase after t-4 hours. so it was only a slight overcharge. I'm not sure the $8.50 service fee apples or not but that extra fee to use the CC may be correct
I was told $90 cash or $97.5 with CC due to surcharge. But my cc is CAD, there will be some loss in exchanging currencies.

I've already submitted a complaint using the link you provided. Thank you.

I guess not just the over charge part made us angry. It's more from the discrimination part that they are targeting foreigners, especially Chinese passengers. I blame myself for being cheap, as I has other options when I purchased the tickets. Never fly with them again.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the Other Australian, Asian, South Pacific Airlines Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
It's the old you get what you pay for saying.

You ended up paying more by flying tigerair.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by TennisNoob

Same happened to me too...
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TennisNoob

Yes, I blame myself for choosing this airline. I really lowered the standard of elite flyers

Never fly with them again!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Shanqx
Yes, I blame myself for choosing this airline. I really lowered the standard of elite flyers

Never fly with them again!
Based on your status you listed, I'm surprised you took that airline.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
I'm shocked that the OP is surprised that Tiger made him check his "carry-on" bags, when it's clearly way above what's allowable... From experience, Tiger (and some other budget airlines I flew) was willing to turn a blind eye if it's just a couple of kgs above. But 17kg total, seriously??? I'll include this one in the FT ridiculous complaints threads collection.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:19 pm

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

Sorry, I know it's too late, but I couldn't stop thinking why didn't the OP take his wife's carry-on so it's 10kg total for him. Or moving some stuffs between
2 backpacks.

And looks like $90 charge was correct.
"A fee of A$5.00 will be charged for any airport baggage added at the Airport by our ground staff. "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.