Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CZ flight crew smoking on board?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by moondog
The practice is common on almost all Asian airlines (i.e. no need to single out the PRC airlines).
Really, "ALL"? That's quite a huge huge net there...

Like what Asian airline, just out of curiosity? SQ, CX, NH, OZ, TG, MH? I must be extremely lucky not to have encountered it all these years. First time I've heard of the airplane smoking thing in Asia, outside of China...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel

Like what Asian airline, just out of curiosity? SQ, CX, NH, OZ, TG, MH? I must be extremely lucky not to have encountered it all these years. First time I've heard of the airplane smoking thing in Asia, outside of China...
MH, for sure; I even had a chat with two of their pilots about this topic a few months ago. (I don't notice cockpit smoke myself very often because I usually fly in Y.)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
CZ flight crew smoking on board?

So this is obviously not the novelty I thought it was!

The last time I had to breathe in other people's smoke on an aircraft was in 1996 on a JAT flight from LHR-BEG. I was asked at check in whether I wanted smoking or non-smoking, and was given a non-smoking aisle seat on the DEF side. As soon as we left the ground, just about everyone on the ABC side lit up... :-D

Seriously, I've never encountered crew smoking on any other Asian carrier, and I'm surprised that it seems to be so common.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by pianotraveller
The last time I had to breathe in other people's smoke on an aircraft was in 1996 on a JAT flight from LHR-BEG. I was asked at check in whether I wanted smoking or non-smoking, and was given a non-smoking aisle seat on the DEF side. As soon as we left the ground, just about everyone on the ABC side lit up... :-D
Having smoking and non-smoking sections on a plane (or in a restaurant) is a lot like having peeing and non-peeing sections in a pool.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bluegreentravel

He's right, other than CX I can't think of one that I haven't smelled smoke aboard.

Huge smell on CA and MU not even a little but but a HUGE smell
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Even the new 77w's?

They looked legit to me the last time I spent time looking at it lol
A few cousins of mine work for Chinese airlines and I mentioned the smoking issue and they all told me the lav smoke detectors are just for show.

That said I've never personally tested it myself since I don't smoke.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
He's right, other than CX I can't think of one that I haven't smelled smoke aboard.

Probably not SQ as well?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LuisHK
Probably not SQ as well?
Can't provide my word on something I never flew.

The last time I flew SQ was when I was a kid.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
What's the latest on this topic?

I've encountered so much of it this year on MU that I've sworn off MU. So I'm reticent about CZ.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:57 pm

I think it's an ingrained part of Chinese culture that smoking is readily accepted even in places it is supposedly banned.

I was in Shenzhen on the weekend (so hardly a third-tier city in the middle of nowhere) and people were smoking everywhere. That included two police officers at Lo Wu Immigration Centre whose desk had a very large 'No Smoking' sign on it.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
What's the latest on this topic?

I've encountered so much of it this year on MU that I've sworn off MU. So I'm reticent about CZ.
I don't want to seem unkind, but this is obviously a really big deal for you. If you really cannot be in the presence of cigarette smoke, then perhaps you should consider alternative modes of transport.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Bub001
I don't want to seem unkind, but this is obviously a really big deal for you. If you really cannot be in the presence of cigarette smoke, then perhaps you should consider alternative modes of transport.
Most planes don't have pilots smoking in the front!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat

I have never smelled smoke on any BR or CI flights either.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Bub001
Shirley you're not being serious.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Shirley you're not being serious.
Roger Roger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.