Wiki Posts
Search

CA Lied about Weather issues

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
CA Lied about Weather issues

So apparently I ticketed a passenger to travel on CA.

After boarding the flight and hearing aircraft mechanics for 1.5 hours, they released all luggage and passengers off the plane.

They accommodated Lodging and food for that night and moved the travel date to the next day.

They said they weren't able to compensate due to "weather issues" but clearly it was an aircraft mechanical issue. The weather in Beijing was not even severe and every other flight took off.

What happens in these circumstances? Are there any rules from the DOT that say passengers should be further compensated?
Old May 10, 2014, 4:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
What happens in these circumstances?
Generally, nothing. CA doesn't care.

[/QUOTE]
Are there any rules from the DOT that say passengers should be further compensated?[/QUOTE]

You didn't say where the flight was going. If to the US, then DOT rules might apply, but CA can just stick by its whether excuse, and the DOT is unlikely to press them in the slightest.
Old May 10, 2014, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

LAX-PEK was completed
PEK-SZX (china to china) was the delayed flight
Old May 10, 2014, 3:06 pm

LAX-PEK was completed
PEK-SZX (china to china) was the delayed flight
In that case I wouldn't waste more than five mins fighting them.
Old May 10, 2014, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

What I found really amazing was it was a full a330 flight and no one said anything.

Normally they would cause a huge outrage.
Old May 10, 2014, 3:37 pm

What I found really amazing was it was a full a330 flight and no one said anything.

Normally they would cause a huge outrage.
Swear words still happen on most of my flights, but stewardess take them in stride, and the masses increasingly realize that they have no control over their fate.
Old May 10, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

But it was like everyone didn't say a word and just listened is why I'm puzzled.

A full flight with 200+ people
Old May 10, 2014, 5:12 pm

Did OP speak out and said something?
Old May 10, 2014, 7:42 pm

But it was like everyone didn't say a word and just listened is why I'm puzzled.

A full flight with 200+ people
After coming to terms with the fact that speaking out makes no difference at all, the logical course of action is to remain at peace. I'm slightly shocked that you care enough about these matters to contemplate making a stink. If you devote 20 hours to the cause, you might be able to walk away with $100, and claim some sort of moral victory. The thing is CA is the winner in this scenario because it values your time at $5/hour.
Old May 10, 2014, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Haha if I was there I would have ranted but the ticket was not mine, it was my mom who is in her seventy's.

Well the only reason I asked was because I found it really weird no one spoke out given the fact that CA is a huge airline, they should have replacement aircrafts ready on site to use.

I just don't agree with the fact how CA got away by lying to everyone that there was a weather issue when it was a mechanical issue.

Definitely if I was there, I would explain to everyone it's not a weather issue, and it's a mechanical issue.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Often this is no CA issues. Main reason is due to Chinese military reluctance of releasing air space. Hence China is only operating about 30% of capacity. Its like russian roulette. Sometime your flights get released to fly on, sometime you don't.

Intra- china flights are never on time, and 1 out of 10 chances you would be stuck on plane forever.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

I would agree to that but according to the flyer, the engine was attempted to be turned on many many many times within the hour and a half.

If it were runway delays it would only be hours instead
Old May 11, 2014, 1:38 am

Definitely if I was there, I would explain to everyone it's not a weather issue, and it's a mechanical issue.
Of the 200 people on that flight, I'm guessing that around 50 were frequent passengers on the route in question (i.e. very few people travel from Beijing to Shenzhen for fun). As such, if anything struck them as truly out of the ordinary, you can bet that someone would have spoken up.

BTW, did you grab flightaware stats on other PEK-SXZ flights that left around the same time? I ask this because the PRD has had a spate of weather problems recently, and if the airports were gummed up there, it wouldn't matter whether or not your mom's plane was fit for flight.
Old May 11, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
At least you got a hotel and lounging after only 2 hours.

Anyways everyone lies about weather, even US airlines.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
... I just don't agree with the fact how CA got away by lying to everyone that there was a weather issue when it was a mechanical issue.
Even if they had said it was MX, pilot shortage, or they just feel like stopping for the evening so they can go home early it would not matter. They owe nothing.

Outside of the EU and a few other places, there are virtually no regulations requiring compensation for late or canceled flights.

So after that one just has the carriers' contract of carriage. And that is usually worded in their favor.

In the US one might normally get some compensation, but this is a customer service jesture. No mandate.

In China (and many other such places) on non top tier airlines? Forget it.

So the "lie" about weather just did not matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.