Vietnam Airlines/Option Town - OMG DON'T DO IT

Old Mar 28, 14, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Vietnam Airlines/Option Town - OMG DON'T DO IT

OMG, what an experience. We registered with Option town to fly return from Vietnam to Sydney. We were excited to receive a CONFIRMATION OF BUSINESS CLASS UPGRADE only to arrive at the check in and be met by an army of Vietnam Airlines staff who proceeded to laugh at our paperwork and promptly advise us that we were in economy. We were treated like "cheats" by Vietnam Airline staff, in particular one Senior Vietnam Airline staff member,Ms Tran T.[redacted], who informed us that Optiontown had no authority to upgrade us. We showed her our letter of confirmation from Optiontown and she laughed in our faces. We totally get that we may not receive an upgrade and we were fully prepared for that. But to have the confirmation given in writing and nothing at all appearing on the confirmation letter stating that it is still subject to availability and confirmation at check in, was just shattering. So, we came home economy and contacted Optiontown who apologised and said this was unusual. I pressed them and was finally directed to the "terms of service" at the bottom of the home page - told to scroll down and PRESTO...Hidden in section d. under UTo Service, there is was in all it's glory - " In the event of upgrade approved, upgrade decision remains subject to availability, passenger has to present a copy of the email to the airline staff upon check-in. If a passenger failed to contact airline staff for any reason the upgrade price for that flight will not be refunded. So, Optiontown's letter of confirmation means NOTHING.....it is still subject to availability and determined at check in. Trust me, when they look at you at Vietnam Airlines as someone checking in with an Optiontown upgrade confirmation, they treat you like something they want to wipe off their shoes. Then they laugh and happily sit you next to crying babies and rather large hairy gentlemen that sweat a lot......To add insult to injury...on check in they will try and say you will get business class service - just in economy seats........

Last edited by oliver2002; Mar 28, 14 at 3:17 am Reason: readacted name of frontline staff
Old Mar 28, 14, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I've tried it with SK and it wasn't ever confirmed unfortunately, but there are a lot of other reports of it going smoothly with SK. Sorry to hear this happened to you, but sounds like Optiontown and VN have some bugs to work out.
Old Mar 28, 14, 7:06 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Just to say friends have just returned to London from Vietnam and got their Y to Y+ and an internal Y to J through Optiontown with no problems.

However, they didn't get an upgrade on the return (2 out of 3 wasn't a bad ratio), but my, did they hate VNs' Y class.
Old Mar 29, 14, 1:15 am

I recently did this from HAN to KUL. Got upgraded and no issues when I went to checkin
Old Apr 17, 14, 2:37 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Sorry to hear your experience,

I've recently used it in MEL a few weeks ago, which may have much more friendlier staff than their SYD counterparts - however I must agree that the VN representatives are very rude, even when speaking to Vietnamese people.

I received the confirmation email from Optiontown and immediately checked my booking through Sabre's 'Virtually There' website, where my itinerary was altered with J showing on the ticket - printed it out, and also the confirmation too and everything was fine at Check In.
Old Apr 17, 14, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
PAY for business class on booking then you won't be disappointed.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 10, 14, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
PAY for business class on booking then you won't be disappointed.
This comment is pointless.

They did pay for business class. They paid Optiontown, who has a contract with Vietnam Airlines.
Old Jun 11, 14, 1:28 am

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
I missed the old days when Optiontown still had MH as one of upgrade possibilities.

If you check their listing of airlines nowadays, there's nothing but leftover airlines on verge of bankruptcies or places you want to avoid (political discussions omitted). Shockingly, VN is one of very few global airlines left there.
Old Jun 26, 14, 2:58 am

Thinking of doing this for my wife ICN-SGN-SIN next week. What kind of prices would we expect?
Old Jun 26, 14, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Thinking of doing this for my wife ICN-SGN-SIN next week. What kind of prices would we expect?
For a seat in a narrowbody A321?
Old Jun 26, 14, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If you check their listing of airlines nowadays, there's nothing but leftover airlines on verge of bankruptcies or places you want to avoid (political discussions omitted). Shockingly, VN is one of very few global airlines left there.
Optiontown should be a nightmare for every revenue protection department at a functioning airline.
Such a scheme encourages passengers to not purchase expensive biz class tickets, instead of relying on a cheap upgrade instrument.
Old Jul 17, 14, 4:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Velocity Awards
Got an upgrade with Optiontown on AirAsia from KUL-MEL. Very happy with the upgraded product as I got a lie flat bed for the overnight flight.
Old Jul 19, 14, 2:02 am

Programs: VN (PLA/Elite+)
I couldn't complain about optiontown and VN. I used optiontown for 6 times (FRA-SGN and SGN-FRA) and only one time I didn't get the upgrade. In this case they refunded the upgrade price immediately after a few days.
Old Aug 13, 14, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Talking

I used it for a RGN-HAN flight that had a pricy J fare. Upgrade ended up going through - checked in at airport and was given upgrade. Counter gave me baggage allowance for J which ended up itself paying for the optiontown cost - so for me the J seat was "free"
Old Aug 14, 14, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Optiontown should be a nightmare for every revenue protection department at a functioning airline.
Such a scheme encourages passengers to not purchase expensive biz class tickets, instead of relying on a cheap upgrade instrument.
Or one can see it as these airlines have priced their (regular) biz tickets incorrectly based on their market competitiveness... else they would have no issues filling up most flights and needn't rely on Optiontown.

Search this Thread