Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Airlines/Option Town - OMG DON'T DO IT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
I was offered an upgrade for HAN-SIN for 1.7kk VND, which is around 110 SGD or 80 USD. The price is really reasonable knowing my class of fare and the lowest business class option I remember when booking originally. However, I was having a cheap day and decided not to upgrade because I do not really need it at that stage.

On the day of the flight, I was extremely tired and was about to change my mind if the conditions are still the same. Since I already checked in, I could only asked at the counter and could no longer go through optiontown. The price quoted by VNA ticket office was whopping 230 USD. Needless to say, I declined and enjoyed my emergency exit row on the lousy A321 instead.

What I take from this experience is that optiontown can really work out well, while I do not necessarily know whether my upgrade would have gone through and/or whether VNA is overpricing their OTC upgrades...
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Velocity Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Etihad Gold
Anyone recently traveled from Australia to Vietnam on OT upgrades? and how was your experience? I am looking at travelling next month but a bit unsure to book through Vietnam airlines or not if getting an upgrade and experience is not so good. Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Le Club AccorHotels
In the last few weeks, I did use OptionTown for SGN-PAR, PAR-SGN, SGN-HAN & HAN-SGN.

All 4 legs worked well overall.

In Paris, the upgraded boarding pass was given to me at the boarding gate only. Probably because I had a LON-PAR leg prior included & all checked-in from London.

On the recent SGN-HAN-SGN - I had to remind the agent @ check-in counters. Then again, it clearly says on OptionTown to print email & show to check-in staff.

IMO - Works well, worth it & it clearly says that it's all pending availability @ check-in.

I'll do it again.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:26 am

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you bid for the CDG to SGN legs?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Le Club AccorHotels
Originally Posted by TravelDream
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you bid for the CDG to SGN legs?
I bid on both legs, SGN to CDG & CDG to SGN. From Eco to Premium Eco - on the new A350s.

Paid USD302 all together.

Both bids were succesful.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:07 am

Hi everyone,

Just bought my flights today and trying to purchase an upgrade for my upcoming trip.

It is a return flight from KUL-KIX with a stopover in SIN.

I can only purchase the upgrade from KUL-SIN but not the SIN-KIX, as SIN-KIX is displayed as "upgrade not available". Is this normal for them to release the upgrade segment by segment? Should i wait for a few more days before I try again to get the SIN-KIX?
Old May 30, 2018, 4:29 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nazrath
Hi everyone,

Just bought my flights today and trying to purchase an upgrade for my upcoming trip.

It is a return flight from KUL-KIX with a stopover in SIN.

I can only purchase the upgrade from KUL-SIN but not the SIN-KIX, as SIN-KIX is displayed as "upgrade not available". Is this normal for them to release the upgrade segment by segment? Should i wait for a few more days before I try again to get the SIN-KIX?
Hi Nazrath, I think you mean SGN as opposed to SIN? SIN would refer to Singapore instead of Saigon.

That aside, from what I know and general speaking with most upgrade schemes, it's not normal for an airline to release upgrades segment by segment as this is different from award bookings. In your case as with many, I'd imagine it being related to the fare class you are booked into, rather than 'upgrades not being released'.

It appears that the fare class you have been booked into on the SGN-KIX segment may be ineligible, whilst KUL-SGN is.

Anyhow, do have a safe journey.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Hi Nazrath, I think you mean SGN as opposed to SIN? SIN would refer to Singapore instead of Saigon.

That aside, from what I know and general speaking with most upgrade schemes, it's not normal for an airline to release upgrades segment by segment as this is different from award bookings. In your case as with many, I'd imagine it being related to the fare class you are booked into, rather than 'upgrades not being released'.

It appears that the fare class you have been booked into on the SGN-KIX segment may be ineligible, whilst KUL-SGN is.

Anyhow, do have a safe journey.
Thanks. that makes perfect sense.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I got an offer of €70 for BKK-SGN. Would anyone have experience about Optiontown upgrades ex-BKK? Is the check-in staff familiar with the concept, and what's their take on fast track at BKK and lounge access? Technically, you aren't supposed to get either, but in this thread there are examples to the contrary (at other airports).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by ffay005
I got an offer of €70 for BKK-SGN. Would anyone have experience about Optiontown upgrades ex-BKK? Is the check-in staff familiar with the concept, and what's their take on fast track at BKK and lounge access? Technically, you aren't supposed to get either, but in this thread there are examples to the contrary (at other airports).
Liunge access unlikely for the fast track if you ask nice it is likely they will give it to you
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Okay, I finally decided to purchase the upgrade. Let's see if they grant it and how it works in practice.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Looking at SGN-REP-SGN in November and the economy fare is $230 RT and business fare is $600+ RT. Hoping to get an optiontown offer that is in line with the RGN-SGN flight we took a few years ago.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
I've received an email from Optiontown saying that my upgrade had been accepted (Subject to confirmation at the airport). Now, should I wait with checking in online and perhaps only check in at the airport?

The reason why I am thinking of checking in online for my confirmed economy seats is to simply let the airline know that I am intent on flying. But if that somehow screws up their internal system and invalidates my chance to be seated in J, then obviously I should better not do it.

Any advice / experience with that?
Old May 16, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
I've received an email from Optiontown saying that my upgrade had been accepted (Subject to confirmation at the airport). Now, should I wait with checking in online and perhaps only check in at the airport?

The reason why I am thinking of checking in online for my confirmed economy seats is to simply let the airline know that I am intent on flying. But if that somehow screws up their internal system and invalidates my chance to be seated in J, then obviously I should better not do it.

Any advice / experience with that?
I seem to recall that somewhere on optiontown is mentioned that it is better not to do online check in. May be you can check
Old May 16, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by blandy62
I seem to recall that somewhere on optiontown is mentioned that it is better not to do online check in. May be you can check
The wording in the email is ambiguous. This is from the email that I received after signing up for the upgrade:
"Your upgrade request is still pending and not confirmed yet. You will be notified about your upgrade request via email around 1-3 days before departure but no later than 4 hours before departure. We advise you to wait for your upgrade decision before you check-in for your flight, as it might impact your chances to get upgraded."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.