Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

[PEK] Air China, layover, transferring to another flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PEK] Air China, layover, transferring to another flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:53 am

Folks.

I found this page in search for the same information and I found the correct information and I hope it will help someone in the future as airline agents are bricks.

Baggage Clearance regulations::
Baggage is cleared at the first airport of entry in China (People's Rep.).
Exempt: baggage of passengers in transit via Beijing (PEK), provided it is labeled to a destination outside of China, and the onward flight is within 24 hours.
There are no baggage transfer facilities at Chongqing (CKG), Xi'an (XIY), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG). All baggage must be collected and re-checked in for the connecting flight.

So if you a travelling other than Beijing PEK you have to collect your bags. I confirm this with my parents experience too. 1 parent went through PVG had to collect the bags and another parent went through PEK and did not have to collect bags.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/CN-C...ns-details.htm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by woow14610
Folks.

I found this page in search for the same information and I found the correct information and I hope it will help someone in the future as airline agents are bricks.

Baggage Clearance regulations::
Baggage is cleared at the first airport of entry in China (People's Rep.).
Exempt: baggage of passengers in transit via Beijing (PEK), provided it is labeled to a destination outside of China, and the onward flight is within 24 hours.
There are no baggage transfer facilities at Chongqing (CKG), Xi'an (XIY), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG). All baggage must be collected and re-checked in for the connecting flight.

So if you a travelling other than Beijing PEK you have to collect your bags. I confirm this with my parents experience too. 1 parent went through PVG had to collect the bags and another parent went through PEK and did not have to collect bags.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/CN-C...ns-details.htm
This is bad... CA sold me a 2hr international connection in PVG ... I was expecting to check-in luggage, but - am I going to be able to make it if I do?

Last edited by flozano; Sep 8, 2015 at 10:01 am Reason: AC -> CA
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:49 pm

I'm flying YVR - HKG next March with a change from Air Canada to Air China in PEK.
Do I need to collect my baggage if it is ticketed through to HKG?

Also which lounge(s) do I have access to? YVR - PEK - HKG is a business aeroplan awards ticket.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
I did LAX-PEK-HKG a year ago, all on CA, no need to collect checked baggage at PEK.

The only lounge for *A J class at PEK is run by CA.

Make sure you pad enough time for transit. PEK immigration can become a zoo.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
I did LAX-PEK-HKG a year ago, all on CA, no need to collect checked baggage at PEK.

The only lounge for *A J class at PEK is run by CA.

Make sure you pad enough time for transit. PEK immigration can become a zoo.
Thanks. We have 2 1/2 hours to transfer so hopefully that is enough. BTW...is the CA lounge as bad as some reviews say?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cheffip
BTW...is the CA lounge as bad as some reviews say?
From what specific perspective? If you have high standards it's bad.
If you're used to seeing what I see everyday traveling in the U.S. you will think CA's lounge is "amazing".
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
From what specific perspective? If you have high standards it's bad.
If you're used to seeing what I see everyday traveling in the U.S. you will think CA's lounge is "amazing".
LOL - the Aeroplan agent had seen it and thought it was pretty nice but some reviewers on Skytrax thought it was the worst ever Star Alliance business class lounge period.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
The lounge in PEK is decent. Snacks available all day with more substantial food at meal times, including sushi around lunch time (can't remember what's there at dinner time). Chinese wines. Can be very crowded at times, especially mid-day. Wifi is very spotty and you need some code to connect that you get on your cell phone, but instructions were only in Chinese, IME.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
The lounge in PEK is decent. Snacks available all day with more substantial food at meal times, including sushi around lunch time (can't remember what's there at dinner time). Chinese wines. Can be very crowded at times, especially mid-day. Wifi is very spotty and you need some code to connect that you get on your cell phone, but instructions were only in Chinese, IME.
Thanks for that info. We will be there about 4:30 pm. I believe we arrive, transit and depart from Terminal 3 ???
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Trying to book a complimentary hotel for a 6PM Beijing arrival and departing 8AM the next day. The call center won't pick up, and it has an asinine system where you have to keep pressing 1 to stay on the line. Both Mandarin and English systems were like that. Sadly, I couldn't connect to their mainland operations either. Anybody have any tips?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gpen1827
Trying to book a complimentary hotel for a 6PM Beijing arrival and departing 8AM the next day. The call center won't pick up, and it has an asinine system where you have to keep pressing 1 to stay on the line. Both Mandarin and English systems were like that. Sadly, I couldn't connect to their mainland operations either. Anybody have any tips?
Which # did you call? US or CN #?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gpen1827
I would call their 5 digit customer service number, prepending with 86 and a city code (Beijing is 10); I rarely get holds longer than 2 minutes. But, odds are, the hotel choices they offer will not be to your liking.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
I would call their 5 digit customer service number, prepending with 86 and a city code (Beijing is 10); I rarely get holds longer than 2 minutes. But, odds are, the hotel choices they offer will not be to your liking.
Ah, I think I forgot to add 10 and that's why it didn't work for me.
I'm fine with 4 walls, a roof, electricity, and running water. A clean room and wifi would be nice, but I won't get my hopes up.

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Which # did you call? US or CN #?
I tried both.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
90 minute transfer

I have a business class award from SFO-PEK on UA, 90 min connection to Air China PEK-SYD in business. Any current thinking about if I'll make it or who to go to for help rebooking if we are on time arriving, but the airport delays me (not a carrier). Using UA miles and booked through UA.

I can carry my bag or check...does either save time for me?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I have a business class award from SFO-PEK on UA, 90 min connection to Air China PEK-SYD in business. Any current thinking about if I'll make it or who to go to for help rebooking if we are on time arriving, but the airport delays me (not a carrier). Using UA miles and booked through UA.

I can carry my bag or check...does either save time for me?
You'll do airside transfer (passport check but no immigration, then transfer security) - with an on-time arrival and boarding pass in hand for PEK-SYD this will not be a problem. Should give you enough time to visit the (pretty nice!) Air China lounge as well. Your luggage will be transferred to your final destination (SYD) when you checkin at SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.