Question about MH award ticket

Old Jan 12, 14, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Question about MH award ticket

Hi
I successfully managed to book a redemption ticket using their promotional 50% discount. Now I wish to make a change of flight for the same date(just the return trip). When i rang MH, they said that since the promotional booking period is over, it will be a considered a fresh booking (even though its only a change of flight on the same date and the same route) and mentioned of a full rate of miles required if i wished to change. So I didn't change and decided to stick to my original booking. Looking at the terms and conditions of the promotional booking, I found this in relevance:
8. Change of date is allowed within the ticket promotion validity period. For the unutilised redemption ticket, change of date/sector is allowed within the ticket promotion validity period. For the partly utilised ticket, only change of flight/date is allowed within the ticket promotion validity period. All changes are subject to a USD50 reissuance fee. Additional taxes may apply.

It does mention about the promotion validity period which I am assuming would refer to the travel period (until 30 June 2014)not the booking period.
The promotional booking period was only between 1st - 8th Dec.

Does anybody else thinks of the same or am I misunderstanding it?
Old Jan 12, 14, 9:09 pm

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Originally Posted by hrs027 View Post
Hi
I successfully managed to book a redemption ticket using their promotional 50% discount. Now I wish to make a change of flight for the same date(just the return trip). When i rang MH, they said that since the promotional booking period is over, it will be a considered a fresh booking (even though its only a change of flight on the same date and the same route) and mentioned of a full rate of miles required if i wished to change. So I didn't change and decided to stick to my original booking. Looking at the terms and conditions of the promotional booking, I found this in relevance:
8. Change of date is allowed within the ticket promotion validity period. For the unutilised redemption ticket, change of date/sector is allowed within the ticket promotion validity period. For the partly utilised ticket, only change of flight/date is allowed within the ticket promotion validity period. All changes are subject to a USD50 reissuance fee. Additional taxes may apply.

It does mention about the promotion validity period which I am assuming would refer to the travel period (until 30 June 2014)not the booking period.
The promotional booking period was only between 1st - 8th Dec.

Does anybody else thinks of the same or am I misunderstanding it?
Unfortunately I had the same issue but it really is only possible within the promotional booking period. Therefore if you want to change now you would have to top up the miles.
Old Jan 13, 14, 6:08 am

Last year, I was able to change the travel dates after the booking period was over, and the lady said I could change it to whenever I want as long as it's within the promotional travel period.

They might have changed the rules this year, but I would call up and try again.
Old Jan 13, 14, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stargold View Post
Last year, I was able to change the travel dates after the booking period was over, and the lady said I could change it to whenever I want as long as it's within the promotional travel period.
Doesn't sound right to me, it could be that they had another round of promotions when you changed your dates.
Old Jan 13, 14, 7:26 am

No, there was no other promotions at the time of the change.

I was told that as long as the new travel date I wanted was within the promotional travel period, it didn't matter that it was after the promotional booking period had finished.

Whether I just got lucky, I don't know.
Old Jan 13, 14, 7:42 am
Suspended

More likely the agent didnt know what she was doing. Lucky you

There was a promotion 35% off which stretched several months last year, if I remember correctly.
Old Jan 13, 14, 8:07 am

I booked mine under the 50% off, which of course did not reappear until recently. I did not have to do any top-up of miles, just the usual small fee to change the ticket.

Maybe I should be thankful, then
Old Jan 13, 14, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold View Post

They might have changed the rules this year, but I would call up and try again.
Well, I thought I may get lucky and called up again and yes I was lucky.Managed to change the flight to the one I wanted and only ended up paying the re-issue fee of 50USD. There was a polite lady who spoke to me and confirmed my ticket and even asked me to hold the line to check if I received an email of my re-issued ticket. So I guess the first agent I spoke to had no clue about the whole thing.
Old Jan 14, 14, 12:24 am

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Well, I thought I may get lucky and called up again and yes I was lucky.Managed to change the flight to the one I wanted and only ended up paying the re-issue fee of 50USD. There was a polite lady who spoke to me and confirmed my ticket and even asked me to hold the line to check if I received an email of my re-issued ticket. So I guess the first agent I spoke to had no clue about the whole thing.
You were lucky then. The agent I spoke to said I would have to top up my miles and pay the change fee.
Old Jan 14, 14, 3:20 am

Programs: MH(Gold) QF CX(Diamond)
You got lucky.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: