FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   BKK->Singapore? And questions about Jetstar Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1519102-bkk-singapore-questions-about-jetstar-asia.html)

JMSIM Nov 6, 2013 12:57 am

BKK->Singapore? And questions about Jetstar Asia

Hey!
Has anybody flown recently Jetstar Asia? Are they reliable? I'm a bit of a nervous flier, but in a few weeks I'm going to be flying from Bangkok to Singapore, and Jetstar Asia seems to have the best timetable & price. I dont have a timetable in Singapore, so dont mind a bit waiting around, I'm more worried about the safety of the aircraft. Or does anybody have any recommendations about other airlines? Could I expect that AirAsia's having any kind of sales within a few weeks? We have a strict flight day, monday 16th of december. AirAsia has a cheap flight 6.25 on that day, but that's too early, considering we're flying almost 30hours the day before and propably no sleep on the plane.
And one more question conserning Jetstar Asia's carry on baggage, on their website it's stated that the baggage mustn't exceed 56cm x 36cm x 23cm, but I believe the IATA carry on baggage standard for low cost airlines is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. I have a bag that's directly those measures, just thinking will I have to purchase a claimed backage because of those few centimetres? Although the bag was marketed as an carry-on baggage for low cost airlines. Never had problems to bring it inside the aircraft before. Than again, I've never flew Jetstar Asia before.

AddictedTraveller Nov 6, 2013 1:46 am

Hi JMSIM,

Personally I don't have an issue with flying Jetstar Asia, I've got a flight with them coming up at the end of the month (Phuket-SIN). They have (as most of the Low cost carriers in Asia do a relatively young fleet and are going through a fleet renewal programme at the moment.

You can of course fly Thai or Singapore Airlines but expect to pay a lot more, and personally I don't think there is much of a difference in terms of safety.

In terms of carry-on baggage most of the LCCs don't bother checking the size - I haven't had mine checked previously. But of course can't say for sure they wouldn't on this occasion.

SilverChris Nov 6, 2013 2:22 am

3K's safety standards are fine, and their on time performance is fairly good too. If there's a delay they'd notify you by SMS many hours in advance.

They don't check the size of the carry-on. If it fits on any narrowbody aircraft then it'll fit on 3K. You should be more mindful of the weight as they're quite particular about that, and it's weighed upon check in.

JMSIM Nov 6, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks alot for your replies!
And yes, I've already weighed my bags, less than 10kg. Will purchase Jetstar tickets, as soon as this clears:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...nge-route.html

tmac100 Nov 6, 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by JMSIM (Post 21736250)
Hey!
Has anybody flown recently Jetstar Asia? Are they reliable? I'm a bit of a nervous flier, but in a few weeks I'm going to be flying from Bangkok to Singapore, and Jetstar Asia seems to have the best timetable & price. I dont have a timetable in Singapore, so dont mind a bit waiting around, I'm more worried about the safety of the aircraft. Or does anybody have any recommendations about other airlines? Could I expect that AirAsia's having any kind of sales within a few weeks? We have a strict flight day, monday 16th of december. AirAsia has a cheap flight 6.25 on that day, but that's too early, considering we're flying almost 30hours the day before and propably no sleep on the plane.
And one more question conserning Jetstar Asia's carry on baggage, on their website it's stated that the baggage mustn't exceed 56cm x 36cm x 23cm, but I believe the IATA carry on baggage standard for low cost airlines is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. I have a bag that's directly those measures, just thinking will I have to purchase a claimed backage because of those few centimetres? Although the bag was marketed as an carry-on baggage for low cost airlines. Never had problems to bring it inside the aircraft before. Than again, I've never flew Jetstar Asia before.

Your 1st paragraph reminds me of nervous fliers - as you indicate you are.

All airlines can have an incident and KILL passengers. Fact of life. However, all airlines and LCC have excellent maintenance procedures that are just incredible as compared to the cars we drive.

IF you need help dealing with your flying anxiety, GET professional help. I really mean that kindly as folks here are not able to give anything more than opinions based on their past...

Advice is worth only what you pay for it - at most.

I really mean this kindly - get some professional help to deal with your flying "nervousness". Then carry on.

bluegreentravel Nov 6, 2013 5:19 pm

IMHO, Jetstar Asia is the most comfortable among the budget airline options in the region, and probably the one that feels the least "budget". I've flown with them several times, and I haven't had my carry-on checked yet (which is generous at 10kg, compared to 7kg limit of the competitors).

dsquared37 Nov 6, 2013 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100 (Post 21738181)
All airlines can have an incident and KILL passengers. Fact of life. However, all airlines and LCC have excellent maintenance procedures

You might be biting off more than you can chew here.

JMSIM Nov 7, 2013 7:24 am

One more question about Jetstar Asia..It seems that through a finnish booking agency the ticket for the same flight (9.15am BKK to Singapore) is much cheaper, without booking and payment fees and without currency changes, but it is stated that the maximum carry on baggage is 5kg. No possibility of buying any extra nor checked baggage. So does anybody know is this possible or could the agency's information be wrong? Has anybody heard of Jetstar Asia's 5kg limit? Booking through the agency saves quite alot, so that's why I'm asking..

bluegreentravel Nov 7, 2013 8:06 am

The handcarry limit is 10kg for all passengers. Probably just wrong info on the website. Hopefully the Finnish TA is reliable - as usually, the cheapest Jetstar rates can be booked in their website. (Would help doing a quick google research, just to make sure...)

Guy Betsy Nov 7, 2013 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by JMSIM (Post 21743741)
One more question about Jetstar Asia..It seems that through a finnish booking agency the ticket for the same flight (9.15am BKK to Singapore) is much cheaper, without booking and payment fees and without currency changes, but it is stated that the maximum carry on baggage is 5kg. No possibility of buying any extra nor checked baggage. So does anybody know is this possible or could the agency's information be wrong? Has anybody heard of Jetstar Asia's 5kg limit? Booking through the agency saves quite alot, so that's why I'm asking..

Extra baggage is possible :
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/plannin...hecked-baggage

Sounds like your agency is trying to issue the 3K ticket using QF ticketing plates.

JMSIM Nov 7, 2013 11:33 pm

Yeah, I bought the ticket. After payment, I recieved Jetstar's ticket, it's stated there that 10kg is the limit. Didn't also know that it's possible to buy extra baggage also, and select your seats after payment. So the travel agency's info was wrong.