Philippine Airlines 105: Direct or Non-Stop?

Old Oct 28, 13, 12:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: This one time I got upgraded ord-bos
Posts: 56
Philippine Airlines 105: Direct or Non-Stop?

I'm scheduled to take PR105 from SFO-MNL in a week, and am excited to try out PR's Mabuhay Class. The fare was too good to pass up! While it won't affect my trip much, I've seen conflicting information on whether or not the flight stops in GUM. My itinerary from PR doesn't list a stop in GUM, but tripit seems to think we'll be on the ground there for less than an hour. The various flight tracking sites are all over the place about when the flight leaves and whether it will stop in GUM.


Is the PAL itinerary authoritative? I'd hate to screw something up by relying on a schedule that was only in effect when I booked the ticket.
nycsfo is offline  
Old Oct 28, 13, 7:00 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Posts: 577
Originally Posted by nycsfo View Post
I'm scheduled to take PR105 from SFO-MNL in a week, and am excited to try out PR's Mabuhay Class. The fare was too good to pass up! While it won't affect my trip much, I've seen conflicting information on whether or not the flight stops in GUM. My itinerary from PR doesn't list a stop in GUM, but tripit seems to think we'll be on the ground there for less than an hour. The various flight tracking sites are all over the place about when the flight leaves and whether it will stop in GUM.


Is the PAL itinerary authoritative? I'd hate to screw something up by relying on a schedule that was only in effect when I booked the ticket.
There may or may not be a GUM stopover, but the plane usually arrives on time in MNL.

PR flies A340 and B747 to/from SFO! Cross your fingers that you'll be using the B747 with the newer angled-lie flat beds (I prefer an upper deck seat, or the front row of the lower deck - more spacious), rather than the back-breaking A340 with the old recliner seats - which are comfortable for regional flights, but not for TPAC. If you do get the A340, make sure to get row 1 or 2, the former First cabin, with the same seats but more space and recline.
bluegreentravel is offline  
Old Oct 28, 13, 7:50 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: This one time I got upgraded ord-bos
Posts: 56
Thanks! I was told when booking that it'll be a 747. Any knowledge of the bulkhead seats on the upper deck? Was wondering if I should request one.
nycsfo is offline  
Old Oct 28, 13, 9:47 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Posts: 577
Originally Posted by nycsfo View Post
Thanks! I was told when booking that it'll be a 747. Any knowledge of the bulkhead seats on the upper deck? Was wondering if I should request one.
I would go for the bulkhead or the exit row seats - more spacious bec. your feet does not have to go under the seat in front... If you can convince the check-in staff, row 1 in the lower deck feels private (however, it's usually reserved for Elite/Premium Elite members)
bluegreentravel is offline  
Old Oct 29, 13, 6:48 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SAN
Programs: PR Premier Elite
Posts: 1,911
Your best prediction is to look on flightaware.com and see if the previous nights flight stopped. But even that only gives you a general clue. It all depends on the jet stream and the load factor on the day you actually fly. I haven't even had a whole lot of luck asking at check-in and usually the first indication you get is.... If the flight departs on-time or only slightly late.... most likely you are making the fuel stop and will arrive in MNL more or less on schedule. If the departure is delayed over an hour, that's a good indication you will skip the stop and probably land in MNL a little early despite the late departure. Usually the first definitive answer you get is when the Captain makes his cabin announcement as you are pushing away from the gate. In any case, if you arrive late, it is due to factors other than the fuel stop because it is always built into the schedule.

As for the stop itself, you land in GUM (or at times HNL), no one deplanes, and then you sit around for a little over an hour as they refuel and a cleaning crew cleans the lavs and such.

On the 747 upper deck I like the exit row best because it is wide open in front of it. Bulkhead is probably second best. They are slanted flat seats and a little dated compared to what allot of other Asian airlines have in C these days but not "old style". For the low price, PR's business class is one of the best deals out there today.
Mabuk dan gila is offline  
Old Oct 29, 13, 10:53 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: This one time I got upgraded ord-bos
Posts: 56
Just checked flightaware. looks like they use the 744 a strong majority of the time, but a few 343s sneak in there. I'll make sure I check PR104 the day before my flight and will adjust my seat request accordingly.
nycsfo is offline  
Old Oct 29, 13, 2:45 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 1,393
Please post a trip report post-flight.
Mr. Roboto is offline  
Old Oct 29, 13, 4:26 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: This one time I got upgraded ord-bos
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
Please post a trip report post-flight.
Will do - hopefully I can showcase the new seats.

The trip will take me onward from Manila to BKK on PR regional J, then to Bhutan on Druk Air J, then a within-India JetAirways flight in J. Those aren't often covered here!
nycsfo is offline  
Old Nov 2, 13, 1:25 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Miami
Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
Posts: 54
Just a FYI that I flew on Druk Air business class on October 7 to Paro and it was very nice. We made short scheduled stop at Guwahati India which was okay. Flight was nice but wow what a wild approach into Paro between and below the mountains.
mikeinmiami is offline  
Old Nov 5, 13, 4:57 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by nycsfo View Post
Will do - hopefully I can showcase the new seats.

The trip will take me onward from Manila to BKK on PR regional J, then to Bhutan on Druk Air J, then a within-India JetAirways flight in J. Those aren't often covered here!
PR has been deploying the new A321s to BKK.. and certain days, the B77W... but they've been sending the A333s/A343s and A320s there as well...
RestlessHearts is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread