Vietnam Airlines vs Vietjet

Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver BAEC, Diamond Hilton Honors, Gold SPG

I'm planning on make a few domestic flights in Vietnam next month and was wondering whether there was a consensus on which airline was the best to use as I've never used either.

Whilst I gather Vietnam airlines is "frills" and vietjet is "no frills" the prices are not substantially different as they are both pretty cheap, does Vietnam airlines live up to its "frills" branding and the better of the two or has vietjet just got a more efficient business going?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
If it's for leisure I'd take VJ. For business I'd stick with VN.
It also depends on the route. In general VN has more flights per day than VJ so if there are any issues that cause delay/cancellation, with VN you would have more choice of later flights. With VJ, the later flight could be half a day later or even the next day.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
If prices are similar I'd go VN for no other reason than to put a few miles into your favorite Skyteam program, even if you're not a typical Skyteam flyer, put them in DL where they don't expire. Status miles aren't likely a concern, but many fares earn base miles at 100%.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: *G, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
What is "Vietnam Airlines" official Sites

I need to book a flight from Saigon to Hanoi RT for Nov. First thing, I googled for Vietnam Airlines and found a number of them. From lonelyplanet forum, some people warn about those fake sites (Imposters).
Does anybody know the official website for Vietnam Airlines? Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: *G, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I found it from my colleague and wikipedia as well. It's www.vietnamairlines.com

Originally Posted by vtewr08
I need to book a flight from Saigon to Hanoi RT for Nov. First thing, I googled for Vietnam Airlines and found a number of them. From lonelyplanet forum, some people warn about those fake sites (Imposters).
Does anybody know the official website for Vietnam Airlines? Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:31 am

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Vietjet has currently a total of 8 Airbus 320 and using them with a very tight schedule so when one of their flight has an irregular schedule, the whole routing is impacted. Honestly, unless you find a very cheap ticket (less than 70% of a VN Airlines flight), I will stick with VN Airlines.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver BAEC, Diamond Hilton Honors, Gold SPG

Thanks all, I've gone for Vietnam airlines, they were both very cheap and the price differential was therefore also very small. I'm on a tight schedule so any delays would eat in to precious time.

will report back on my thoughts once I have flown on them next mint
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Would be interested to know the experience, I have to go to HCMC for work again early next year and didn't enjoy flying with VN last time around - very dirty aircraft with classic CRT screens
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
VietJet is well-known for delays and cancellations. For (better) reliability, VN is the way to go.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:49 pm

VietJet

Originally Posted by aaac
Vietjet has currently a total of 8 Airbus 320 and using them with a very tight schedule so when one of their flight has an irregular schedule, the whole routing is impacted. Honestly, unless you find a very cheap ticket (less than 70% of a VN Airlines flight), I will stick with VN Airlines.
Last month I had a bad experience with the VJ ground staff a CXR. The was an error with my fiancée's family name in the VJ computer and we had the correct info on our printed PNRs. The ground staff insisted on her buying new tickets. We didn't do that and after about a month, they are stating there will be no refund.
VJ? NEVER AGAIN!
Dan
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:54 pm

VietJet

Originally Posted by LAXative
VietJet is well-known for delays and cancellations. For (better) reliability, VN is the way to go.
I think VJ is running a scam with baiting with cheap tickets that you'll never be able to use. Been there, done that...but no more.
Dan
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:19 am

Just my recent experience. Several domestic flights inside Vietnam on Vietjet and Vietnam Airlines
What I found is:
- Both airlines have frequent delays, but it seems that Vietnam Airlines is significantly more often on time.
- Vietjet plays the cancellation game. A few days before the flight you receive an email that the flight time has changed - sometimes by 12 hours. Never had that on Vietnam Airlines
- Vietjet charges for everything extra. If you have luggage and want to prereserve a seat the price is often more than Vietnam Airlines
- Vietnam Airlines has a very reasonably priced business class which also gives you lounge access.
- Vietjet is policing the weight of your carry on and makes you pay when you are only 1 kg over. Same with the check in weight. Vietnam Airlines seems not as strict, especially when yoiu travel Business Class
- Vietjet flight attendants are often unprofessional, skipping safety check etc.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA
Anybody have a "normal" experience with VJ? Planning on flying from SGN-DAD in April and would rather spend the $100 I'll save on a nice hotel room
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pbartp
Anybody have a "normal" experience with VJ?
No such thing. Like a previous poster said: small fleet tightly schedule. Hiccups in service are constant.

I had a flight some months ago where the native English speaking pilot came on & announced we had an mechanical emergency & were returning to SGN. Then a FA announced in Vietnamese that we were returning because of bad weather. Such is typical for Vietjet.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:36 pm

If your flying a single flight, delays are easily possible but i would go for it, if you have multiple flights involved on that day then no i wouldnt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.