Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

2 SC Flight attendants suspended for playing the mobile phone in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nationa.../shdaily.shtml

What a shame! You can't be playing the cell phone during in-flight. Unacceptable!

You are not permitted to use the cell phone during at this time.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
This is truly... shocking. All passenger's were at risk!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
sorry for asking dumb question.... is the mobile phone really "dangerous" for the flight?

if yes, why there is no check to make sure ALL the mobile phone has been switched off before the flight?

I once saw another passanger still talking on the phone while the plan was heading toward take off position..... really scare me!!!!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The problem here is not the use of a phone (obviously in plane mode) during a flight to play a game. It is that flight attendants on duty obviously not overloaded of work. You are not supposed to play games while working.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
The problem here is not the use of a phone (obviously in plane mode) during a flight to play a game. It is that flight attendants on duty obviously not overloaded of work. You are not supposed to play games while working.
Exactly! They cannot playing the games during work hours. You don't want to get into trouble for that. They were supposed to be working.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
Exactly! They cannot playing the games during work hours. You don't want to get into trouble for that. They were supposed to be working.
That is called working in North America airlines.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
That is called working in North America airlines.
Right!!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, the issue is perhaps not so much they endangered passengers nor even the fact no definitive proof has shown modern mobiles emit dangerous radiation. (Basically, regulation exists because they have not proven to be safe, rather than that they have been proven to be unsafe - it's all about risk management and preventive mitigation of legal issues, and iirc it began when Swissair - RIP - stated CD players were causing emissions on their Convair 990s that interfered with navigation systems.)

If they had their mobiles in the "airplane" mode, they were seriously goofing off on the job. Might not be a great idea in a job market like China's, where I suspect FAs may not have the union protections nor the due process protections they might have in some other countries.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
The Civil Aviation Code for in-flight safety is very clear- no mobile phones may be used in flight regardless of in-flight mode capability. Chinese airlines are very vigilant and will stop anyone using an iphone to take a picture during flight.

I am ignorant of the technology issues behind this decision, but am far more concerned about crew discipline. If they have elected not to follow this rule, what other rules are not being followed? Food sanitation jumps to mind....
Old Oct 17, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by uanj
The Civil Aviation Code for in-flight safety is very clear- no mobile phones may be used in flight regardless of in-flight mode capability. Chinese airlines are very vigilant and will stop anyone using an iphone to take a picture during flight.

I am ignorant of the technology issues behind this decision, but am far more concerned about crew discipline. If they have elected not to follow this rule, what other rules are not being followed? Food sanitation jumps to mind....
The Chinese Civil Aviation Code is way over the top in regards to cell phones. While the US and the FAA have continuously adapted as technology changed, the Chinese have not. I don't know about the other Chinese carriers, but I fly CA a fair amount and have never seen them enforce this on passengers except during take off and landing.

If they're going to take that archaic rule seriously then they need to ban all i-Pads and tablets too as they don't know which ones are 3g capable and which ones aren't... but in reality half the plane is using one during flight and the FA's could care less. Same with iPhones and Androids as music devices in flight...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by dvs7310
The Chinese Civil Aviation Code is way over the top in regards to cell phones. While the US and the FAA have continuously adapted as technology changed, the Chinese have not. I don't know about the other Chinese carriers, but I fly CA a fair amount and have never seen them enforce this on passengers except during take off and landing.

If they're going to take that archaic rule seriously then they need to ban all i-Pads and tablets too as they don't know which ones are 3g capable and which ones aren't... but in reality half the plane is using one during flight and the FA's could care less. Same with iPhones and Androids as music devices in flight...
I get a lot of the take off your earphones because you can't otherwise hear safely announcements. I really want to the regulation on this one.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Originally Posted by uanj
The Civil Aviation Code for in-flight safety is very clear- no mobile phones may be used in flight regardless of in-flight mode capability.
Oh no wonder. On several Chinese domestic flights, the FA's have, quite angrily told me to shut off my phone. I always thought they were just bored or forgot that we've reached cruising altitude. In more than half dozen times they told me to shut off the phone, none have told me it was the CAC.

The funny thing is, if you're using an ipad in non-airplane mode (plenty of people forget to shut it off) I bet nobody will say anything about it.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
Oh no wonder. On several Chinese domestic flights, the FA's have, quite angrily told me to shut off my phone.
Likewise, but it wasn't a phone, just an i-pod. They did become very apologetic when they realised it was an i-pod, not an i-phone.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:32 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Likewise, but it wasn't a phone, just an i-pod. They did become very apologetic when they realised it was an i-pod, not an i-phone.
Was on a propeller craft in China two weeks ago (a MA60) and was told off for taking a picture... but the point was to switch off my phone...
Passenger next to me and across the isle both had their iphones as music players on - with headphones.. (and iphone hiding under a jacket)...

The lady across the isle randomly pulled out the phone and tapped on the screen (typing)... and then put it away again...

Ah well...
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Originally Posted by alphaod
I get a lot of the take off your earphones because you can't otherwise hear safely announcements. I really want to the regulation on this one.
Virgin Atlantic makes you take off your personal headphones and put on theirs for landing. That one's a little crazy haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.