Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Indigo and Spicejet starting international flights Chandigarh to Dubai in December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indigo and Spicejet starting international flights Chandigarh to Dubai in December

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select

DELHI/CHANDIGARH: Union Civil Aviation ministry has finally approved operations of international flights from Chandigarh airport.

To begin with, two private airlines, Indigo and SpiceJet, have been given the go-ahead. Another private airline, Jet Airways, is still awaiting clearance. Initially, all three private airlines are expected to operate flights between Chandigarh and Dubai and other Gulf countries, which will prove to be a boon to residents of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh besides foreign tourists, who till now have to travel to Delhi or Amritsar to catch international flights.

The airlines were given clearance on September 6 and they are likely to start operations in three months time. SpiceJet and Indigo will operate direct flights between Chandigarh and Dubai, while Jet Airways has sought permission for direct flights between Chandigarh Abu Dhabi. The airlines are yet to work out the air fare, timings and flight schedules.

The international airport building at Chandigarh-Mohali is expected to be completed by March next year. Before that, international flights will be operated from existing Chandigarh airport terminal.

It may be mentioned here that the issue of operating international flights from Chandigarh has been hanging fire since 2009. Jet Airways was allowed to operate flights to Dubai, but these could not take off as the existing terminal and runway did not support night landing of airplanes.

http://www.punjabnewsline.com/punjab...e-months/86977
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
good to know....hopefully lots of other cities will follow soon....
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I really can't see this happening. Will there be enough demand?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Demand should be high if the price is right. Delhi to some points in punjab is a 6 or 7 hour ride with traffic....
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Demand should be high if the price is right. Delhi to some points in punjab is a 6 or 7 hour ride with traffic....
It is a long drive but a lot of airlines have tried and failed in the Punjab market. Truth is that Punjabi's are used to the long distances and prefer to fly via Delhi for some reason. Maybe they can touch base with family or do work enroute?

Would be interesting to see how LCC's do though.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
It is a long drive but a lot of airlines have tried and failed in the Punjab market. Truth is that Punjabi's are used to the long distances and prefer to fly via Delhi for some reason. Maybe they can touch base with family or do work enroute?

Would be interesting to see how LCC's do though.
depending on the price, i could really see this working....
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
depending on the price, i could really see this working....
I hope so. ^
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Yes. A huge percentage of travelers that fly into Delhi to go Punjab, Himachel, and parts of Haryana near Chandigarh. So now they will be able to bypass Delhi altogether. Chandigarh is much more central location in comparison to Amritsar.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slickvik
Yes. A huge percentage of travelers that fly into Delhi to go Punjab, Himachel, and parts of Haryana near Chandigarh. So now they will be able to bypass Delhi altogether. Chandigarh is much more central location in comparison to Amritsar.
I hope it does well. Punjab being such a rich state lacks good international flights.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

I hope it does well. Punjab being such a rich state lacks good international flights.
Part of this is self inflicted with high taxes at Amritsar airport. But the real reason that international flights have been blocked for so long at Chandigarh is because Delhi airport's owners. They know what would happen if people could go directly to Chandigarh instead. Nobody likes wasting 1 day in Delhi when arriving and another when going back. It's waste of time and money. But looks like some common sense finally won the day.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slickvik
Part of this is self inflicted with high taxes at Amritsar airport. But the real reason that international flights have been blocked for so long at Chandigarh is because Delhi airport's owners. They know what would happen if people could go directly to Chandigarh instead. Nobody likes wasting 1 day in Delhi when arriving and another when going back. It's waste of time and money. But looks like some common sense finally won the day.
No flights have started yet, lets see the day when they do. I wouldn't be surprised if Delhi airport is paying the Badal's a tidy some to make sure no flights start up.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:20 pm

Whilst this discussion goes on, Spice have started (or soon will start) PNQ-SHJ, PNQ-BKK, BLR-BKK, LKO-RUH, COK-DMM, IXM-DXB.

That's in addition to the likes of AMD-MCT, DEL-KBL, VNS-SHJ, DEL-CAN etc.

I won't be flying them anytime soon and I don't know how successful they are with this approach, but I do like it. Trying out new and unorthodox city pairs instead of playing the BOM/DEL-BKK/DXB game like everyone else.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
O&D to DXB, or codeshare to Europe/NA

O&D to DXD will be very successful given the pax amount from the tri-state area itself. Services to rest of cities will require codeshare and thru checkin on Europe & NA. This could be a prefect example of Jet-Etihad partnership working as Jet can put a 737 on the route and pretty much fill Y and some of J everyday on their west bound flights. My next family trip might involve getting on Etihad from LAX and then on IXC via 9W, that would save me at least 6-8 hrs of total door to door travel time. The reason past attempts at ATQ have failed is the same reason why limited non stop international service exists from AMD, except gulf countries off coarse. Punjabis are similar to Gujratis in one respect, they hate spending $6k for something that they can pretty much get the same end result by spending $1k, traveling in Y in this case. With no demand from sectors like IT, any long haul to Europe is doomed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.