FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   PAL $100 Voucher OR 7,500 Miles for NOT bringing so much luggage. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1503938-pal-100-voucher-7-500-miles-not-bringing-so-much-luggage.html)

Mabuk dan gila Sep 17, 2013 2:54 pm

PAL $100 Voucher OR 7,500 Miles for NOT bringing so much luggage.

It is well known that Filipinos generally travel with how ever much baggage they can get away with, so is goes without saying that PAL probably spends more on fuel transporting luggage than it does transporting passengers. Imposing baggage surcharges and limits like US carriers would likely result in riots at check-in ;) so they apparently came up with this "Travel Light" promo for flights ex-LAX or SFO where they will give you a $100 travel voucher or 7500 Mabuhay Miles to only check one bag. I'm betting not to many takers from the Filipino passengers but since I never check any bags it looks like a pretty good deal for me.

Oh yes, the best part is, I received notice of this promo in an e-mail from PAL's official Los Angeles Reservations office and in typical PAL syle they attached a flashy promotional PDF file, watermarked that it was created in some shareware PDF creating program whose trial period was expired. LOL

Terms below

(all caps courtsy of PAL)

GET USD $100 TRAVEL VOUCHER OR 7,500 MILES

TERMS & CONDITIONS :

1. PROMO IS EFFECTIVE 16 AUGUST 2013 until further advise

2. VALID FOR ALL PASSENGER HOLDING REVENUE TICKET DEPARTING FROM LOS ANGELES OR SAN FRANCISCO WHO IS ENTITLED TO FULL FREE BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE BUT IS ONLY CHECKING IN ONE (1) PIECE OF BAGGAGE WITHIN THE FBA LIMIT WEIGHT AND DIMENSION LIMIT OR IS ONLY BRINGING A HANDCARRIED BAGGAGE.

3. TRAVEL VOUCHER IS VALID FOR ONE YEAR FROM DATE OF ISSUANCE AND IS NON CONVERTIBLE TO CASH, NON REPLACEABLE WHEN LOST, NON TRANSFERABLE AND NON REFUNDABLE.

4. THE VOUCHER OF USD$100 MAY BE EXCHANGED FOR PAYMENT ONLY ON ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PAL PRODUCTS AND SERVICES AT ANY PAL TICKET AND AIRPORT OFFICES

a. Passenger Airfare
b. excess baggage
c. Ancilliary Fees.

UPON REDEMPTION, THE CHOICE OF OPTION SHALL BE FINAL AND CAN NO LONGER BE CHANGED.

5. FOR THE 7,500 MILES OPTION, PASSENGER SHALL BE REQUIRED TO ENROLL IF NOT YET A MEMBER AND MUST SURRENDER THE ORIGINAL TRAVEL VOUCHER AT THE MABUHAY MILES SERVICE CENTER OR AT ANY PAL TICKET OFFICE PRIOR TO EXPIRATION.

FOR FURTHER DETAILS AND INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT PHILIPPINE AIRLINES OFFICE AT 5959 WEST CENTURY
BLVD, LOS ANGELES TEL: 1-800-IFLYPAL OR YOUR TRAVEL AGENT

MK19791980 Oct 8, 2013 6:38 pm

I thought this was interesting, how did is deal work for you so far?

Mabuk dan gila Apr 15, 2014 6:21 am

Just to update. This promo is still active. On checking in at LAX I've been requesting the "Travel Light Promo" and have been consistently issued paper vouchers. I've been choosing the 7,500 mile option since to me the miles are worth more than $100 airfare.

Only caveat? I haven't actually tried to redeem any of the paper vouchers yet. In typical PR style the instructions say the paper vouchers must be redeemed in person at a PR ticket office or Mabuhay Miles Service Center within one year of their issuance. They have similar in person/ticket office paperwork requirements for redeeming award tickets but in that case make the exception of allowing US based passengers fax their redemption forms and paperwork to the LAX ticket office and handle it over the phone. So I am 'guessing' they might allow the same for these vouchers??? But I am accumulating a stack of them to redeem en mass so if I do have to jump through any hoops or stand in line at a PR ticket office in Manila or something, I can handle it all at once and make it worth my trouble.

In any case. IF (and that's a big IF) your travel pattern has you flying allot from the US to MNL. PR's FF Program is actually quite generous if you can deal with it's somewhat archaic nuances. And if you are flying to MNL allot, dealing with misc archaic nuances in general should already be included in your repertoire.