Multiple Asian Airline Baggage Fee Question

Old Aug 23, 13, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Multiple Asian Airline Baggage Fee Question

I have an upcoming complex trip through Asia for business and am wondering if someone can offer some insight into baggage fees for me.

1 flight on JAL (international in SE Asia)
4 flights on Vietnam, domestic and international within SE Asia (DL Diamond Medallion, so Sky Team Elite Plus)
1 flight on Korean, international within SE Asia (Again, STE+)
1 flight on Garuda (domestic)
1 flight on Air Asia (international within SE Asia)
2 flights on Malaysian Airlines (international within SE Asia)

I generally travel with 1 checked bag, 1 carry on roller bag and a briefcase.

When I review the airline websites, it appears that many of these airlines charge per kg for excess baggage fees. I don't see anything on Korean or Vietnam's website which addresses waived fees for STE+ travelers. Nor do I see anything on the airlines websites regarding a carry on plus personal item as we are accustomed to in the US.

Can anyone help with any of these?

Thanks!

JS
Old Aug 25, 13, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
What do you mean baggage fees? All airlines listed here allow free baggage allowance of at least 20kg (30kg for MH), with the exception of Air Asia.

How much luggage do you have? Excess is usually calculated based on the full fare of the route. Each airline is different except MH which has a zone system, and Air Asia. Check each airlines' website. For ST, has it occurred to you to ask on the ST forum?
Old Aug 25, 13, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
As mentioned above, I typically travel to Asia with 1 checked bag, 1 carry on roller bag and a briefcase. What is unclear on the online baggage claim listings is whether or not these Asian airlines recognize 1 carry on plus 1 personal item as we area accustomed to in the US. I'm fairly confident I'm okay on Malaysian and on Korean as I fly those routinely when I'm in Asia, I'm less confident on Vietnam, Air Asia and Garuda as I don't usually fly these and the individual airline listings are very unclear. What I'm trying to avoid is paying an obscene excess baggage fee or having to check my laptop/camera.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Old Aug 25, 13, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hard to keep one
http://www.airasia.com/my/en/baggage...n-baggage.page

For Air Asia, you need to purchase check-in baggage allowance for the one bag. You can bring one carry-on and one laptop bag onboard, but has to below 7kg and fit the size. Air Asia can be very anal about weighing the bags so I would suggest stuffing whatever you can into the checked (keeping in mind the checked weight that your have purchased).
Old Aug 25, 13, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help with Air Asia. I found their standard baggage limits page but not this one!

Much appreciated!
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:21 am

Programs: United
With AirAsia be sure you purchase a checked baggage allowance that's high enough. I recently flew AirAsia from Jakarta to Yogyakarta in Indonesia (a 1 hour flight) and had quite a bit of luggage. Our staff member only purchased 30kg/person instead of the maximum 40kg/person, so my wife and I were 15 kg over the amount we had purchased (meaning between the two of us we were 15kg over the amount we purchased). We were charged almost U.S.$200 for the overweight, whereas if our staff member had purchased 40kg/person online it would have been very inexpensive.

If you make sure your checked baggage comes in under the amount you purchased, you should be fine. I've traveled on AirAsia quite a bit and this is the first time I've had trouble. However, it is important to keep in mind that their baggage charges at the counter are quite high, while online they are reasonable.
Old Aug 28, 13, 2:35 am

Programs: EVA Diamond ; AA Platinum ;
simple response.

i always travel with roll on and a backpack plus a check-in when i do my asia routes flight on

JAL no problems before.

Vietnam have flown once betwen cambodia and vietnam. no problems

korean never a hassle unless your carry ons are very heavy

garuda, no experience

air asia, as stated by enough weight allowance before hand, i have brought a full duffel and a backpack on board before. if you can get it through security, usually the onboard staff wont care.

malaysia air. never a problem before.

safe travels
Old Aug 28, 13, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Wolfy,

Thanks a lot! Greatly appreciated. We usually fly Singapore within Asia but alas, couldn't work out the times we needed this trip plus client sites picking up the tab on this trip so at their mercy to a certain extent which meant different airlines than I'm accustomed to.

Search this Thread