Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Air China allow me to board on an earlier flight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Does Air China allow me to board on an earlier flight?

Hello,

I have redemption ticket in C issued by LH from all the way to Brazil to Southeast Asia. There is a stopover in PEK and, then, few days later, the segment PEK PVG.

Air China only has a flight with C service for this route in mid-afternoon which is not convenient to me. How is their policy - if there is any - if I arrive earlier in PEK to try to board on a earlier flight to SHA (which would be even more preferable, I guess?)? This is going to be on a Thursday, so I don`t expect flights to be fully booked.

In addition, by any chance, would they allow to flight on F in this segment PEK SHA or I would be stuck in the end of the plane?

Just thinking about possibilities... I even thought about changing this segment to PEK ICN PVG with Asiana, but that could bring me visa issues in China (per my original trip, they gave just one entrance visa).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Alex
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by AlexMC
Hello,

I have redemption ticket in C issued by LH from all the way to Brazil to Southeast Asia. There is a stopover in PEK and, then, few days later, the segment PEK PVG.

Air China only has a flight with C service for this route in mid-afternoon which is not convenient to me. How is their policy - if there is any - if I arrive earlier in PEK to try to board on a earlier flight to SHA (which would be even more preferable, I guess?)? This is going to be on a Thursday, so I don`t expect flights to be fully booked.

In addition, by any chance, would they allow to flight on F in this segment PEK SHA or I would be stuck in the end of the plane?

Just thinking about possibilities... I even thought about changing this segment to PEK ICN PVG with Asiana, but that could bring me visa issues in China (per my original trip, they gave just one entrance visa).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Alex
If you change to PEK-ICN-PVG then you could potentially get away with using the 72 hour visa free scheme that has been implemented at PEK SHA and CAN. Are either of your stays in PEK or PVG less than 72 hours, and do you have a passport from one of the countries which qualify? Additionally you didn't mention your destination beyond Shanghai, China is not SE Asia but if that is indeed your final destination then the 72 hour rule doesn't apply unless you try to activate it in PEK on the way to ICN.

Otherwise, if they only have 1 flight per day with C then you're likely stuck on that flight. On their 2 class service they call it F service even though it's much less than international C would be. Similar to US carriers, but at least US carriers allow domestic F on international C tickets... Chinese don't. On revenue tickets in China it's pretty easy to change a flight as many tickets have pretty flexible change terms, but on an award ticket they'll likely point you back to LH to reissue the ticket and you'll be stuck with whatever terms they have for changes and additional miles if you "upgrade" to F for that segment.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by dvs7310
If you change to PEK-ICN-PVG then you could potentially get away with using the 72 hour visa free scheme that has been implemented at PEK SHA and CAN. Are either of your stays in PEK or PVG less than 72 hours, and do you have a passport from one of the countries which qualify? Additionally you didn't mention your destination beyond Shanghai, China is not SE Asia but if that is indeed your final destination then the 72 hour rule doesn't apply unless you try to activate it in PEK on the way to ICN.

Otherwise, if they only have 1 flight per day with C then you're likely stuck on that flight. On their 2 class service they call it F service even though it's much less than international C would be. Similar to US carriers, but at least US carriers allow domestic F on international C tickets... Chinese don't. On revenue tickets in China it's pretty easy to change a flight as many tickets have pretty flexible change terms, but on an award ticket they'll likely point you back to LH to reissue the ticket and you'll be stuck with whatever terms they have for changes and additional miles if you "upgrade" to F for that segment.
Thank you for the very complete answer! About the possible chance in flights to Asiana ones, I ringed LH yesterday about a change TG has made in my itinerary and I was told they could not include an extra leg in my award ticket - even if was a simple connection to arrive in my original destination (PVG). I don't agree entirely with the statement, but have no reason to make a fuss about it. I hold a Brazilian passport and we are not allowed to take advantage of the 72 hours-no-visa-scheme in Shanghai. That's a pity because I'll stay less then 48 hours there (heading to HKG on a flight in C with Cathay).

When issuing the ticket, LH offered me to fly in any of PEK SHA flights in Y - but not in F. Not the end of the world for a two hours flight, but I must confess I'm always curious about in-flight service and I decided that I would stay less hours in Shanghai to fly in C.

Do you know what level of service can I expect? I'm prepared for something like a First class service within US, in fact. Just as a curiosity, I mentioned
SE Asia, because next destinations are going to be REP, BKK and SIN.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by AlexMC
I decided that I would stay less hours in Shanghai to fly in C.
!
I find this a curious choice. Regardless of class, you're still in a metal tube and PVG-HKG is not that long a flight. I would have chosen more hours in Shanghai even if it meant flying Y from PVG-HKG. Dealt with getting my J and F thrills somewhere else.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
I find this a curious choice. Regardless of class, you're still in a metal tube and PVG-HKG is not that long a flight. I would have chosen more hours in Shanghai even if it meant flying Y from PVG-HKG. Dealt with getting my J and F thrills somewhere else.
Agreed it might has been a silly decision. To keep it accurate: I'll stay more hours in PEK, flying later to Shanghai than I would prefer (I'm booked at 3:30pm flight, around 12:00pm would be my perfect choice).

But it all depends on personal aspects right? I'm very interested about in-flight services - some people collect insects . I wouldn't lose more than four hours because of this. ^
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Be careful on the 72 hour or (24/48 hour for some passport holders) visa free arrivals into PEK or SHA or CAN). You are NOT allowed to transit to another metro area once you are in one of the three above; even if not traceable it violates the issuance of the visa free arrivals. You MUST exit the same metro area regardless if you choose to violate the requirement not to leave the metro area (e.g. catching a domestic flight)

e.g. Arrive into PEK - You've technically now claimed 72 hour in PEK, YOU CANNOT leave the PEK metro area even to catch a domestic flight. You're only ability to leave the PEK metro area is to go outside of China (Intl or to Macau or HK as well)

So be very cautious on this ; suggest transit via ICN or HKG if you want to go to another metro like SHA/PVG - or get a proper visa.

Back to OP EARLIER question: With no bags checked and class of service showing available (farecode) then ALWAYS, YES! However on an award or discounted Biz ticket the chance of that farecode being available is SLIM on day of departure. Therefore answer normally is NO, however if PEK is encountering delays an agent can SOMETIMES get approval to re-route if you may experience a significant delay.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Be careful on the 72 hour or (24/48 hour for some passport holders) visa free arrivals into PEK or SHA or CAN). You are NOT allowed to transit to another metro area once you are in one of the three above; even if not traceable it violates the issuance of the visa free arrivals. You MUST exit the same metro area regardless if you choose to violate the requirement not to leave the metro area (e.g. catching a domestic flight)

e.g. Arrive into PEK - You've technically now claimed 72 hour in PEK, YOU CANNOT leave the PEK metro area even to catch a domestic flight. You're only ability to leave the PEK metro area is to go outside of China (Intl or to Macau or HK as well)

So be very cautious on this ; suggest transit via ICN or HKG if you want to go to another metro like SHA/PVG - or get a proper visa.

Back to OP EARLIER question: With no bags checked and class of service showing available (farecode) then ALWAYS, YES! However on an award or discounted Biz ticket the chance of that farecode being available is SLIM on day of departure. Therefore answer normally is NO, however if PEK is encountering delays an agent can SOMETIMES get approval to re-route if you may experience a significant delay.
Very useful information, thank you. It would not be applicable to me anyhow, but this is a important consideration if I were to use it during my stay in PEK.

About the re-route in case of delay, that would be my expectation/request too. But let`s hope I don't lose extra hours of Shanghai. After the ticket was issued, I learned a lot about the city and there is much to be seen!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Be careful on the 72 hour or (24/48 hour for some passport holders) visa free arrivals into PEK or SHA or CAN). You are NOT allowed to transit to another metro area once you are in one of the three above;
Only Beijing seems to have this rule. (Guangzhou sort of does, but you get access to all of Guangdong, which is not small.)
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
[QUOTE=dvs7310;21287147]
Otherwise, if they only have 1 flight per day with C then you're likely stuck on that flight. On their 2 class service they call it F service even though it's much less than international C would be. Similar to US carriers, but at least US carriers allow domestic F on international C tickets... Chinese don't.[QUOTE]

I don't know if this is right as far as Air China is concerned, I have challenged it successfully many times with tickets issued by Star Alliance carriers. As an example, on the Star Alliance website for RTW fares it reads: "Exception: On sectors within/between USA and Canada or within China where Business Class is not offered, business passengers will be accommodated in First Class subject to availability of seats at the time of booking. In case First Class seats are not offered or not available, the passenger will be offered to choose an Economy Class seat. In that case, no refund will apply." It is worth checking with the ticketing carrier/travel agent and be forceful.

Originally Posted by moondog
Only Beijing seems to have this rule. (Guangzhou sort of does, but you get access to all of Guangdong, which is not small.)
We just checked with Immigration in Shanghai and they said the restriction applies to all cities and is enforced in Shanghai. Exactly how they would not say. I don't know how well their systems work but it is possible when you go through the police check when boarding a domestic flight that they could catch you I guess.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uanj
We just checked with Immigration in Shanghai and they said the restriction applies to all cities and is enforced in Shanghai. Exactly how they would not say. I don't know how well their systems work but it is possible when you go through the police check when boarding a domestic flight that they could catch you I guess.
I'm pretty sure that Shanghai TWOV permits people to stay anywhere in Zhejiang/Jiangsu, in addition to Shanghai itself.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by uanj
I don't know if this is right as far as Air China is concerned, I have challenged it successfully many times with tickets issued by Star Alliance carriers. As an example, on the Star Alliance website for RTW fares it reads: "Exception: On sectors within/between USA and Canada or within China where Business Class is not offered, business passengers will be accommodated in First Class subject to availability of seats at the time of booking. In case First Class seats are not offered or not available, the passenger will be offered to choose an Economy Class seat. In that case, no refund will apply." It is worth checking with the ticketing carrier/travel agent and be forceful.
I've pushed this issue with UA and CO both before (CO in the Skyteam days), neither would budge. The UA award chart clearly states 2 cabin aircraft use the Business column and 3 cabin aircraft use the First column, but UA MP insists it doesn't apply to domestic China flights and require the miles for F if you want the premium cabin on those 2 cabin flights. Pretty silly for example PEK-HKG or PEK-SZX might be the same exact aircraft type and seat (usually A321 on my HKG flights) but it's marketed as C to HKG and F just across the border in SZX.

Perhaps other mileage programs will treat it differently and properly apply the 2 vs 3 cabin rule?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I've pushed this issue with UA and CO both before (CO in the Skyteam days), neither would budge. The UA award chart clearly states 2 cabin aircraft use the Business column and 3 cabin aircraft use the First column, but UA MP insists it doesn't apply to domestic China flights and require the miles for F if you want the premium cabin on those 2 cabin flights. Pretty silly for example PEK-HKG or PEK-SZX might be the same exact aircraft type and seat (usually A321 on my HKG flights) but it's marketed as C to HKG and F just across the border in SZX.

Perhaps other mileage programs will treat it differently and properly apply the 2 vs 3 cabin rule?
I had exactly this same understanding from LH. They simply didn't allow me to flight on "F". The options were to fly in the flight with C cabin or in Y in any flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.