Air China "Flight Cancellation"

Old Aug 12, 13, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Air China "Flight Cancellation"

My parents have just arrived in Beijing to be told that there ongoing flight to Shenyang has been cancelled - I have a feeling it is because of overbooking. They have offered my parents a seat on a flight at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow. What are my parents entitled to here? Surely Air China should put them up at a hotel overnight? What compensation are they entitled to?

Any comments or advice welcome!
Old Aug 12, 13, 6:49 am

You can easily check on their website or the airport's website whether that flight was indeed cancelled.

You need to provide more information on the ticket and the circumstances. Was it a connection or standalone? What was the reason for cancellation?
Old Aug 12, 13, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
You posted this early morning Beijing time Monday. Sunday evening, severe thunderstorms caused 230 flight cancellations and at least 130 flights delayed for at least 2 hours, from Hong Kong media. In addition, a worker was struck by lightning on the apron and died.

Not sure why you would think their flight was cancelled "becsuse of overbooking".
Old Aug 12, 13, 10:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moved to the appropriate airline forum, as this is not a destination-related issue. You should get more airline-related information here.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:39 am

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG
Expect no compensation, but do let us know if you manage to get any. I have had far too many cancellations myself and I'm almost sure that at least few of them very due to overbooking instead of actual cancellation. Having that said it's fairly common in China that flights get cancelled due to weather reasons such as bad fog or heavy wind.

My latest cancellation was with MU (again) and was informed by my (Chinese) travel agent around 1 week before the departure. I decided to ask for refund and book a new flight with another carrier. Perhaps 3 days before the departure date I noticed that the same travel agency was still selling those MU flights on their website so I sent them email asking about it and their reply was oh yes, the airline cancelled the cancellation.

Last edited by Laowai; Aug 13, 13 at 8:49 am
Old Aug 13, 13, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
HUge storms yesterday and today were reported by Cathay Pacific in Beijing

Search this Thread
Search Engine: