Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Emirates Skywards
Lounge access

Sorry to double post - but I want opinion and thoughts.

What is it with OneWorld carriers?

I am led to believe that in Business Class with any OW carrier you can gain access to any OW lounge at any airport.

Can someone please clarify this?

Can OW carriers deny access?

OW website:

" oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul* and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa). (* a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours)
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight."

So what is the point in being on a OW carrier when the individual airlines make their own rules.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scadman
...I am led to believe that in Business Class with any OW carrier you can gain access to any OW lounge at any airport.....
You were mislead.

You can access designated First or Business Class lounge based on your class of service. If you are OneWorld Sapphire or Emerald, then you can additionally access other OneWorld lounges.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

confused

Thanks

I still don't understand why OW carriers other than who you are flying with deny access to their lounge

OW clearly state:

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status

Am I missing something?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scadman
.....Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status

Am I missing something?
Yes, you missed the fact that it doesn't say what you said.

You can access lounge designed by your airlines regardless of your frequent flyer status. Nowhere does it say that you can access lounges of other OneWorld airlines.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:08 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:05 am
Original Poster

now I am definitely confused

OK - what can I say - except I am totally confused

I have even rung QF who told me we cannot use their lounge in HKG - even when flying Business Class with MH - and even with MH not having a lounge themselves.

Now I have 2 conflicting replies also and am not sure what we are entitled to.

I also cannot find anything relating to designated lounges - just the online info saying if you fly Business Class with a OW carrier you can use a OW carrier lounge - nothing about designated.

This all stems from MH not telling us which lounge in HKG we can use - and refusing to enlighten us until we are actually in HKG CHECKED IN.

My fear is that MH will send us to Travellers Lounge which I hear is quite sub standard and has limited food and NO alcohol

Please help!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:15 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:36 pm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angatol
....someone contacted oneworld and got them to change the language back and clarify that access is allowed to any appropriate oneworld lounge based on class of travel, subject to vague rules about whether the lounge is "full" or whatever......
Are you sure that they changed it back?

I am not sure those blog posts or private message will help.

The official website states:
oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status
Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use any lounge offered by any oneworld airline when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown.
oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers
Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
Note difference between access by class of service vs access by elite status. The latter paragraph doesn't mention any lounge. Why did OneWorld separate two access paths in two different paragraphs?

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Last edited by TerryK; Aug 9, 2013 at 4:30 am
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:41 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:06 am
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Wouldn't this thread be better answered in the oneworld forum?

Regards,

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.