Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cebu Pacifc Air requires proof of onward travel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL
Cebu Pacifc Air requires proof of onward travel?

I'm planning a trip to the Philippines in November and have already booked a one-way from HGK to CEB on Cebu Pacific. Since I want to decide at short notice when and from where to fly back to HKG I thought I could book the return only a couple of days in advance. But now I've heard that Cebu Pacific staff requires a printed confirmation of an onward or return flight, otherwise they won't let you board the flight into the Philippines.
I was absolutely not aware of this condition and cannot remember to have seen any hint on their website while booking the inbound flight.
Can anyone confirm that they have a rule like this? Or will I be fine to get on the flight to CEB without a return ticket? I will stay within the 21 day visa waiver time, if that matters.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
This is required Philippine immigration law. Cebu Pacific is just stuck in the position of enforcing it before a Philippine Immigration Officer does. They don't set the rules. In my real world experience, Cebu Pacific is inconsistent in it's enforcement, as is Philippine Immigration. Cebu Pacific HAS asked me to produce an onward ticket on a number of occasions but not 100% of the time. Philippine Immigration has NEVER asked me for an onward ticket but I HAVE seen them ask others and make a major ugly issue about it. There also seems to be a racial and nationality component as well since Asian passport holders and persons who appear Asian seem to be targeted much more than white western passport holders even when the rules are the same. Just reporting what I have observed.

A simple paper printout of an e-ticket will suffice. Not that I would recommend anything against the rules.... but they don't check anything against computer if someone who wasn't me ever took 5 minutes editing a printout in Microsoft Word.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ex-koelner
...I will stay within the 21 day visa waiver time, if that matters.
How do you prove it without return ticket?

What if all flights are sold out? What if you lose your wallet in a bar?

Last edited by TerryK; Aug 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by TerryK
How do you prove it without return ticket?
It's a common procedure in countries that grant a 21-/30-/60-day (or whatever) visa-free stay or visa-upon-arrival just to stamp the passport at immigration. I never happened to be asked for a return or onward ticket as a proof that I will leave the country in the given period. Trouble starts of course if you overstay.

What if all flights are sold out? What if you lose your wallet in a bar?
Then I'm f*ed up anyway

Well anyway, I understand that I have to do something about it ...what is not counterfeiting a booking confirmation :-P Just booking any cheap flight out of the Philippines and then cancel or change it if it doesn't fit...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's a common procedure in countries that grant a 21-/30-/60-day (or whatever) visa-free stay or visa-upon-arrival just to stamp the passport at immigration. I never happened to be asked for a return or onward ticket as a proof that I will leave the country in the given period. Trouble starts of course if you overstay.

Then I'm f*ed up anyway

Well anyway, I understand that I have to do something about it ...what is not counterfeiting a booking confirmation :-P Just booking any cheap flight out of the Philippines and then cancel or change it if it doesn't fit...
They're fine with an Expedia print out... no need to actually buy a ticket.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
I'm planning a trip to the Philippines in November and have already booked a one-way from HGK to CEB on Cebu Pacific. Since I want to decide at short notice when and from where to fly back to HKG I thought I could book the return only a couple of days in advance. But now I've heard that Cebu Pacific staff requires a printed confirmation of an onward or return flight, otherwise they won't let you board the flight into the Philippines.
I was absolutely not aware of this condition and cannot remember to have seen any hint on their website while booking the inbound flight.
Can anyone confirm that they have a rule like this? Or will I be fine to get on the flight to CEB without a return ticket? I will stay within the 21 day visa waiver time, if that matters.
I decided when and where to move from MNL after my arrival: I printed the last step of the online purchase without paying the ticket. Showing clearly the flight number, the destination and the date. It was accepted by both of the check in agent and the immigration officer on the way to Philippines. Or you can buy a refundable ticket on PR however refund process is slow.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by ben63
I decided when and where to move from MNL after my arrival: I printed the last step of the online purchase without paying the ticket. Showing clearly the flight number, the destination and the date. It was accepted by both of the check in agent and the immigration officer on the way to Philippines. Or you can buy a refundable ticket on PR however refund process is slow.
Well done! Immigration actually asked you for the return ticket when you arrived? I once had Jetstar insist on seeing one when was on a one-way (bought the cheapest refundable ticket on the spot I could find ex-MNL), but never Philippines immigration officers... One time on NW even the check in agent in Kansas City of all places knew the Philippines policy well, he first asked if I had a visa or return ticket but before I could speak just said don't worry about it, even if you overstay there you just pay a small fee at the airport on departure (which I knew but most airlines don't allow you to use as an exemption of no return ticket) and went on to process my boarding passes.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Well done! Immigration actually asked you for the return ticket when you arrived? I once had Jetstar insist on seeing one when was on a one-way (bought the cheapest refundable ticket on the spot I could find ex-MNL), but never Philippines immigration officers... One time on NW even the check in agent in Kansas City of all places knew the Philippines policy well, he first asked if I had a visa or return ticket but before I could speak just said don't worry about it, even if you overstay there you just pay a small fee at the airport on departure (which I knew but most airlines don't allow you to use as an exemption of no return ticket) and went on to process my boarding passes.
In June, 2013 immigration officer checked the print out on arrival. So did the check in agent before giving the boarding pass to MNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.