China Southern Airlines..how is it?

Old Jul 8, 13, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

China Southern Airlines..how is it?

Trying to do a budget trip from LAX to India mid November.

There is a good deal LAX-DEL for $946 from China Southern Airlines. The route is:

LAX-CAN on CZ328 (Airbus A380)
CAN-DEL on CZ3027 (Airbus A330-200)

return on reverse routes CZ327/CZ3028

Questions:
How is the food on this airline?
How is the entertainment system?
Is alcohol served? If so, spirits or just beer? I heard someone review it and say they were served only warm beer + ice

Lufthansa has LAX-DEL for cheaper $870 right now but unfortunately the schedule would require me to take 2 extra days off work to make the low fare work. I've traveled to India on Lufthansa before and although the aircrafts are horribly dated the service and food is excellent.

Another question - if I fly China Southern am I able to bag the miles under my Delta Skymiles account?

Last edited by k374; Jul 8, 13 at 9:26 pm
Old Jul 8, 13, 10:54 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to the appropriate airline forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 9, 13, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K View Post
Please follow the thread as it moves to the appropriate airline forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
And, maybe merge it with one of the existing CZ threads.
Old Jul 12, 13, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

looks like nobody here has traveled on China Southern?
Old Jul 12, 13, 9:43 pm

Programs: Spire RA, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
There are many threads about CZ and their A380. I presume you fly eco. Food options should be three choices (Chinese and Western), alcohol is served. Whether the beer is cold - I don't know. But they have a good selection of tea.
Entertainment ist AVOD, the A332 program can be seen online here
http://www.csair.com/en/tourguide/fl...nment/A330.pdf

A380 AVOD is more elaborate. A380 has a dedicated website. http://www.csair.com/en/tourguide/fl...ce/index.shtml

I prefer CZ or any other Chinese airline over EU airlines on long-haul, however I do not fly eco.
Old Jul 14, 13, 7:35 pm
DCW

Food is pretty good, don't know about alcohol as I am a tea person. However movies are not as new as those in CX, at least on Western movies. Also it usually arrived early going to CAN but late coming back. You need to look at the new Delta chart as they change after July 1, if you book under CZ, it is a code share flight, so you can book under DL to get Delta miles.
Old Jul 15, 13, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

thanks. I am looking at the fare rules for economy N and R and cannot find the cancellation policy.

http://www.csair.com/en/faq/static/s...tiaojian.shtml

It just says "subject to fare rules" in the table, this does not make any sense as the table IS the fare rules. Where else would I find the fare rules for economy N/R?

I see that these are the domestic fare rules, any place I can find the international fare rules?
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by k374 View Post
thanks. I am looking at the fare rules for economy N and R and cannot find the cancellation policy.

http://www.csair.com/en/faq/static/s...tiaojian.shtml

It just says "subject to fare rules" in the table, this does not make any sense as the table IS the fare rules. Where else would I find the fare rules for economy N/R?

I see that these are the domestic fare rules, any place I can find the international fare rules?
On your ticket.
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:35 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
On your ticket.
I think the issue is, he doesn't have a ticket yet and wants to know the rules before he buys, which is logical.

k374: look at this website that a lot of FT'ers use for flight searches (though you can't book from it):
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/view/d...6-cfb407df99f3

In the light blue box that has the detail rundown of fees, next to "Fare 1" and "Fare 2" for each segment is an underscored link to "rules". Look there for the full description. This $946 is all in N booking class. I think from LAX I'd go TPAC rather than route through Europe, but that's up to you.

Per Delta's latest mileage earning chart, CZ N class gets you no miles. Neither does R class. That's the rub--if you want to earn miles, you've got to book a more expensive ticket on CZ or other carrier.
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks jiejie, that was very useful.

I see class N has a cancel penalty of $300. There will be 2 passengers on the same ticket.

If my travelling companion is unable to make it and I need to cancel just their fare then is it possible or do I have to cancel only the entire ticket?
Old Jul 16, 13, 4:55 pm

Thanks jiejie, that was very useful.

I see class N has a cancel penalty of $300. There will be 2 passengers on the same ticket.

If my travelling companion is unable to make it and I need to cancel just their fare then is it possible or do I have to cancel only the entire ticket?

You can cancel passengers individually. If booked at csair.com, just email them.
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:51 am
Original Poster

I bought 2 tickets through China Southern and I can view the fare rules but they seem odd.

Penalties
Amendments to this ticket will incur airline charges detailed below and an Orbitz fee of $30.00 per ticket
FOR FARES WITH FOOTNOTE 9K NOTE - THE MOST RESTRICTED RULE WILL BE APPLIED WHEN FARES COMBINED. REROUTE ANY TIME CHARGE USD 200.00. CHANGES ANY TIME CHARGE USD 200.00. CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME CHARGE USD 300.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND. CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME CHARGE USD 200.00 FOR NO-SHOW. NOTE - CUSTOMERS WHO PURCHASE A TICKET FOR TRAVEL ON CZ VIA CZ CHANNELS MAY CANCEL RESERVATIONS/REFUND TICKET WITHOUT PENALTY WITHIN 24HRS OF PURCHASE IF TICKET IS PURCHASED AT LEAST 1 WEEK PRIOR TO FLIGHT DEPARTURE. NOTE - CHILD 2-11 AND INFANT UNDER 2 WITH A SEAT CHANGE/CANCELATION/NOSHOW ANY TIME SAME CHARGE WITH ADULT. INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT CHANGE/CANCELATION/NOSHOW ANY TIME PERMITTED WITH NO CHARGE.

From the above it seems that a no-show will incur a $200 penalty but a cancellation in advance will incur $300? Or am I reading this wrong, is it $300+200 for no show?
Old Jul 29, 13, 12:35 pm

500 USD for refund after departure, i.e. no show.
Old Jul 29, 13, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

thanks! so do I read this right, it's 300 USD + $30 orbitz or $330 for cancellation before departure?
Old Jul 29, 13, 6:53 pm

thanks! so do I read this right, it's 300 USD + $30 orbitz or $330 for cancellation before departure?
Indeed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: