SFO-TPE business class: CI or BR for an old couple?

Old Jul 7, 13, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Plat
SFO-TPE business class: CI or BR for an old couple?

My cousin wants to buy her parents a business class ticket to TPE from SFO. My uncle is slightly disabled. My aunt, a traditional Taiwanese woman, takes care of pretty much everything for him.

CI is cheaper than BR according to their websites. BR has newer planes. The main concern is that the new Royal Laurel class seats on BR 77N seem to focus on privacy, which prevents seatmates from having interactions. My aunt may need to help my uncle on meals, sleep and going to restroom, etc.

Would CI's traditional seats better for old couple? Anybody tried new BR Royal Laurel with your significant other?

Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 13, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Go with BR and have them seat in the middle rather than window seats.
Old Jul 7, 13, 6:05 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Yet BR's new Laurel Class (Royal Laurel) is fully lie-flat.
I think that is definitely the more comfortable choice out of the two.

video preview: http://youtu.be/Ey4WCIRM0P0

Just a side note that when first introduced Royal Laurel seemed to have some issues that seats occasionally do not respond to the control panel. One of my family member had this experience that the seat was not adjustable at all on a flight. But I guess they have fixed it by now...
Old Jul 8, 13, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime gold, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For 12+ hours flights, the flat seat makes a big difference. BR offers better seat and better food on their business class.
Old Jul 8, 13, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
I actually think the 2 aisle seats would be easier than the 2 middle
One can cross the aisle to assist, while one cannot "reach over" the middle to reach the trays and shoes and etc...

SeatGuru Seat Map EVA Air Boeing 777-300ER (77N)
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eva..._777-300ER.php

but you can judge from the video posted above
Old Jul 9, 13, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
I actually think the 2 aisle seats would be easier than the 2 middle
One can cross the aisle to assist, while one cannot "reach over" the middle to reach the trays and shoes and etc...

SeatGuru Seat Map EVA Air Boeing 777-300ER (77N)
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eva..._777-300ER.php

but you can judge from the video posted above
One cannot reach over the middle to get the shoes but definitely can get the trays and set up the tables. I think being able to communicate with each other by sitting in the middle is way better than across the aisle. How else is the aunt going to know the uncle needs anything if they are sat across the aisle w/o the uncle screaming?
Old Jul 12, 15, 9:16 pm

Programs: A3 *G, CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)
My apology for bringing up this old thread. I searched the forum and could not found any recent comparison by fellow FTers.

I plan to travel with my mom HKG-SFO in late Sep. CI new business class (77W reverse herringbone) seems very nice and not expensive in comparison with BR’s PL. Timing is similar too so I think I will give CI a try (although I am *G).

My question: Do you have any (adverse) comments regarding CI’s 77W business class? My mom doesn’t care about inflight food or entertainment. Comfort is of the essence (within reasonable budget…so SQ biz is out of question).

I did web search (https://garythegastronomictraveler.w...o-new-heights/) and it says-

CI’s seat itself exceeds that of BR’s and is on par with CX

(Off-topic question: Where should I park my miles? Would be great if I pool my mom's miles. I won't be too active with SkyTeam.)

Last edited by royng; Jul 12, 15 at 9:21 pm Reason: Additional question
Old Jul 12, 15, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by royng View Post
My question: Do you have any (adverse) comments regarding CI’s 77W business class? My mom doesn’t care about inflight food or entertainment. Comfort is of the essence (within reasonable budget…so SQ biz is out of question).
There's not enough storage space for small things and the table is not very user's friendly as it does not store fully. Make sure you request the duvet early as it's limited. Other than that it should be on par with EVA for TPE-SFO v.v. from July 1.

Stick it in Delta if you are afraid of it expiring (but at less rate) or leave it with CI and use it for upgrade purposes.
Old Jul 14, 15, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post

On EVA new style business class.

The middle row is impossible to reach over and help someone. Better to have 2 window seats.

Check which side has the larger toilet for disabled as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: