Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Asia vs Tiger vs Jetstar vs Silk Air?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Air Asia vs Tiger vs Jetstar vs Silk Air?

For a ow flight next year for my wife and me, SIN-PEN, the choices range from Tiger at US $45 and $60 to Air Asia at $60 to Jetstar at $83 to Silk Air at $167. We'd each have one wheelie bag that on regular economy flights we could carry on, but that on budget carriers we might have to check and/or pay for. I supposed we'd save a bit on that item on Silk Air if it doesn't charge such fees or because of our Star Alliance Gold status.

Any recommendations on which airline to fly? I'm leaning toward Air Asia for the price and because, if the info I've gleaned from the threads I've perused is correct, it flies from a better terminal and is more reliable than Tiger. But I'm open to other suggestions, and Silk Air is within our budget if folks feel it is significantly better and/or more reliable than the rest.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Note : Silkair is not part of the Star Alliance so your *G status have no bearing with them. They do allow 20kg baggage allowance in economy and you are allowed hang baggage that isn't too heavy on board too.

You'll only get free drinks and meals onboard Silkair as its a schedule carrier. The rest are low cost carriers.

Air Asia and Jetstar flies from Terminal 1.
Tiger and Silkair flies from Terminal 2.

The Budget terminal which Tiger used to be based out on has now been demolished to make way for Terminal 4.

My personal choice is Jetstar. SIN-PEN is only an hour.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I personally hate the concept of extra charge for checked luggage and thankfully since that was implemented however many years back I've managed to avoid it. Having said that, in a case like yours where you're not getting *A or any other alliance miles for any of your choices, it doesn't make sense to pay $100 more for a free checked bag and free soda on board for a 1 hour flight. I'd weigh the schedule vs (total) price including luggage of the others and go with that. If MH were a similar priced option I'd also consider that and get a few AA miles out of it.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
MH has no direct flights between SIN and PEN. It requires a transit at KUL.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm posting here to plug Tony again. Do you guys have any idea how cool he is? And then you have Captain Chin... another standout guy.

Air Asia has physically created travel markets that never existed in the past.

They have permitted poor people to fly.

They are smart.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
For an hour flight Air Asia is fine. I suggest selecting your seat as I hate the mad rush when announcements are made. Also Air Asia and I guess most LCC's are usually delayed.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by moondog

They are smart.
Indeed they are. So smart that that what they preach is often not even true: They are rarely, IME, the cheapest airlines and often full service carriers are cheaper before seat, bags etc are added to the LCC checkout page.

Con-men are smart too.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Indeed they are. So smart that that what they preach is often not even true: They are rarely, IME, the cheapest airlines and often full service carriers are cheaper before seat, bags etc are added to the LCC checkout page.

Con-men are smart too.
Yeah, just like WN. But, I still believe that both Tony and Captain Chin are class acts. Have you ever hung out with them?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Yeah, just like WN. But, I still believe that both Tony and Captain Chin are class acts. Have you ever hung out with them?
Never met them and have no idea under what circumstances I'd ever have the opportunity to do so. Can't say I have any overriding desire to do so either.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Never met them and have no idea under what circumstances I'd ever have the opportunity to do so. Can't say I have any overriding desire to do so either.
lol
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:14 am

Well, both are very involved on the front lines of the company. For example, the former loads bags onto airplanes in the hot KL sun on a regular basis, while the latter flies A320s ~once a week.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar

Air Asia is excellent.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Air Asia is excellent.
That's far from a cut and dried opinion.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar

It's my opinion. It is a LCC I took some flights with them I had no issues,
It is a typical LCC tight pitch pay for everything extra but polite efficient crew and nil issues

Out of tiger jet star silk and sir Asia I would choose air Asia.

Naturally I would prefer in be in CX F but budgets do not always allow that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.