China Airlines vs Philippine Airlines

Old Jun 26, 13, 12:17 am
Original Poster

China Airlines vs Philippine Airlines

Which airline is better - China Airlines or Philippine Airlines?

I'm looking for a flight between BNE and YVR that doesn't transit the USA for visa reasons.

Philippine Airlines is bringing up the best value economy class fare and China Airlines is bringing up the best value business class fare.
Old Jun 26, 13, 12:41 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
If you are looking to collect miles with an airline, China Airlines (CI) is in the SkyTeam alliance. Philippine Airlines (PR) likely won't help you in this regard.

Also, TPE is a bit more pleasant than MNL to transit in, which is to say, MNL doesn't really have any redeeming qualities.

I can't comment on your requested routings, since I've only flown PR short-haul and CI long-haul in economy class, albeit many times. As long as you don't have high expectations though, that might help...
Old Jun 26, 13, 7:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As airline questions garner more attention and better responses in airline fora, this query has been moved to the appropriate airline forum.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Jun 26, 13, 11:17 am

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I can add to this to this. As i frequently Brisbane - Taipei (3-4 times business the rest in economy), lately it is becoming more often to use the newer A330's 40-50% of the time you will pick up the newer model (B18356/57/58/59). 15 inch personal screens, almost flat business class beds.

If you pick up the 4-6 year old A330's then you will have 10 inch personal screens.
And and almost slanted lie flat business class seat. Though a word of warning 1 time my controller was buggy so it does happen on these older planes.

Business lounge wise. In Brisbane you use the Air New Zealand lounge which almost every time i go is dead apart from 6-12 people. Usually 2-3hrs before departure i am nearly the only person in there. Drinks are reasonable and on par with Qantas lounge from what i heard. Food mostly cold foods, cakes, 1 hot dish usually and a soup.

I don't mind the late flight as its slightly going westwards so slightly increases night time you experience. Food is not amazing but better of course than economy. 3 dishes usually to choose from. 3 course dinner i think from memory.

Taipei is fine for a stop over and has showers even if in economy (though basic in the arrival lounge T1 for econ).

Now the flight to Vancouver i cant comment on though i did hear somewhere they are replacing their A340's with the B747's which might have the refurbished models servicing.

If you did get refurbished models then its acceptable but not fully flat.

Inflight entertainment is not bad on average i would say to other airlines. But not anywhere near the content of Cathay i heard of 100+ movies.

If anything else you would like to know i will try to help answer it.
Old Jun 26, 13, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has the OP considered routings through HKG on CX? Start by searching for nonstop flights between YVR and Asia, and then build connections through SIN and NRT too.

It would be much longer, but how about going through Europe, possibly connecting in DXB?
Old Jun 26, 13, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For YVR without US transit from Asia you can look at CX, AC out of HKG as well.

The only time I fly PR is between MNL-HKG and MNL-SIN in F. Their F on these route is a few Peso more than CX or SQ in Y.

International transit in MNL T1? Since you are asking business class fare - pay more not to transit there.
Old Jun 26, 13, 9:11 pm

I think the reason he wants to go CI or PR is because they are the cheapest.

People seem to forget to what he said.

If he has no issues for price then i am sure Cathay would be good option and others like Singapore.
Old Jun 27, 13, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
For YVR without US transit from Asia you can look at CX, AC out of HKG as well.

The only time I fly PR is between MNL-HKG and MNL-SIN in F. Their F on these route is a few Peso more than CX or SQ in Y.

International transit in MNL T1? Since you are asking business class fare - pay more not to transit there.
PR (Philippine Airlines) do not have First Class, maybe you mean their Mabuhay Class, which is Business Class.

Keep flying guys.
AirCrew^
Old Jun 27, 13, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by tris06 View Post
I think the reason he wants to go CI or PR is because they are the cheapest.

People seem to forget to what he said.

If he has no issues for price then i am sure Cathay would be good option and others like Singapore.
I don't believe I've ever said to myself... hmmm... ** airline is cheapest in Y, but ** is cheapest in C, which one do I choose? I think it's got to go a bit beyond that.

In evaluating Y, I'd certainly pay more for miles in my chosen alliance, and personally I'd probably pay at least $300-400 more for that on a long flight.

In C I'm not so sure, I'd pay some premium for CX or SQ over PR, sure... but not sure how much more as last time I traveled in PR C it really wasn't so terrible. In regards to CI, it's been a few years but I didn't have a problem with CI C at all. Having said that I'm not a Skyteam guy anymore so I'd probably still seriously evaluate my best *A option... in my case that is.

In the OPs case, are you really considering Y or C? The price is quite different regardless of the carrier.

If Y then if the price is close enough I'd choose the alliance where I can put miles in a useful place (based on your earning and spending habits) that don't permanently expire (only minimal activity needed to keep active in a NA program). That's not PR in any case.

If C then I'd still have a strong preference for an alliance where I might have some status... otherwise I'd choose based solely on price, schedule, and lie flat bed or not.
Old Jul 3, 13, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
If Y then if the price is close enough I'd choose the alliance where I can put miles in a useful place (based on your earning and spending habits) that don't permanently expire (only minimal activity needed to keep active in a NA program). That's not PR in any case.
Actually, Mabuhay Miles don't expire anymore.
Old Nov 13, 13, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA MM, PAL PE, UA
Honestly, PR is fine in C. Angle lie-flats, don't care so much about the on-board entertainment. Food is decent to good. Flight attendants are pleasant and helpful and the price for TPAC business class is very reasonable. Just make sure you get the 777 or the 747. I am MM on AA and really, it's not worth a lot anymore. I used to work for Delta and the load factors are so high inventory for redemption's is very low, let alone for non-revs.

I am on my third trip this year and already made the top FF tier. Plus they hand out miles for -not- checking too many bags!

Really, not a bad airline. A little capital starved, yes, but not bad. I've been treated far worse on the (now) big three for more money and less service.
Old Nov 13, 13, 7:25 pm

Honestly, PR is fine in C. Angle lie-flats, don't care so much about the on-board entertainment. Food is decent to good. Flight attendants are pleasant and helpful and the price for TPAC business class is very reasonable.
Just remember that between Brisbane- Manila they are using the A320 with a stop-over in Darwin. I doubt those A320's have lie flat beds and Avod. More likely it would be no PTV, recliner seats with maybe 36-40 pitch?

So honestly you wouldn't want to go C in PR unless you enjoy the extra flying time to Darwin and really need the miles.

Against CI which business class is average-good there is a big difference. Best choose CI in this case for C or Y.
Old Jul 3, 15, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
Unless you are trying to become a PR million miler because you anticipate domestic Philippine flights in retirement.
Old Jul 3, 15, 3:18 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY
Originally Posted by tris06 View Post
Just remember that between Brisbane- Manila they are using the A320 with a stop-over in Darwin. I doubt those A320's have lie flat beds and Avod. More likely it would be no PTV, recliner seats with maybe 36-40 pitch?

So honestly you wouldn't want to go C in PR unless you enjoy the extra flying time to Darwin and really need the miles.

Against CI which business class is average-good there is a big difference. Best choose CI in this case for C or Y.
Not sure if this would make a difference now, but the majority of PR A320s with dedicated C actually have PTVs installed.
Old Jul 3, 15, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Akiestar View Post
Not sure if this would make a difference now, but the majority of PR A320s with dedicated C actually have PTVs installed.
Well I have no idea about PTV's but being in recliner for 9-10hrs?
Its true that its a day flight so that helps but still Its pretty basic though that's why Philippine Airlines price is cheaply. CI C seating to Taipei is well above this with nearly flat and good pitch.

I sort of forget all the details of the original post but I believe he had similar prices from both airlines.

Again from Australian Business Traveller.

"The flights will run on an Airbus A320 with 12 business class recliner seats of 21" width and 36" pitch, an airline spokesman advised Australian Business Traveller."

Width seems pretty standard for business class seating but the pitch is a bit tight. Most premium economy seats coming now have same or slightly more pitch than this.

If I could get miles on this airline towards my own membership I would consider it for the right price which would have to be maybe 1000-2000AUD to compete. True business products would be pricing in at 2600AUD and above.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: