China Eastern Airlines Reviews?

Old Jun 21, 13, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I'll take whatever points I can get...
China Eastern Airlines Reviews?

Trying to figure out if I should recommend China Eastern airlines to a friend who is traveling with family 2 adults, 4 pre-teen kids. I have seen only a couple reviews on random sites, the few I found were very negative.

Any feedback? Has anyone flown them? Overall experience?
Old Jun 21, 13, 11:07 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I'll move this to the appropriate airline forum for discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

[Cross-posted posts on the same topic have been deleted. Cross-posting is forbidden on FlyerTalk. JDiver, senior moderator]

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 22, 13 at 7:11 am Reason: add second moderator note
Old Jun 21, 13, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jeremywight View Post
Trying to figure out if I should recommend China Eastern airlines to a friend who is traveling with family 2 adults, 4 pre-teen kids. I have seen only a couple reviews on random sites, the few I found were very negative.

Only domestic, in Y, but plane was clean, service was much better than US domestic. I was worried about carry-on/checked restrictions (website is pretty scary), but no one checked anything on my flight, plenty of rollaboards.

I would fly them again, at least for domestic.

They recognized my status and my miles posted promptly, if that's important.
Old Jun 21, 13, 11:27 pm

Programs: Spire RA, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
What route?
Beware of A346 on long haul, otherwise they're fine and better than what we have in Europe.
Old Jun 21, 13, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl View Post
What route?
Beware of A346 on long haul, otherwise they're fine and better than what we have in Europe.
Looking at International from SFO-PVG on Airbus A330 and PVG-HKT on Boeing 737
Old Jun 22, 13, 2:30 am

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG

My advise is to avoid MU at all cost. Used to fly them couple of times per month, but due to too many bad experiences I'm nowadays choosing other alternatives whenever I can. Funnily enough I have booked 4 domestic oneway flights with them during this year and 3 of them have been cancelled.

To be fair, cancellations for domestic flights are very common in mainland China with other airlines as well. International flights tend to be less frequently cancelled.
Old Jun 22, 13, 6:31 am

My advise is to take the flight without hesitation, if the price is good.

An int'l flight won't get canceled.
Flying domestic during my last 150 or so flights with MU/FM and probably more than 250 in total over the last 2 years, the only cancelled ones I experienced are those on the trunk routes, i.e. the 11:30 am PEK-SHA with the option to get rebooked at 11:00 or 12:00 h (or any other at your convenience). I don't really care about 30 or 60 mins...
Old Jun 22, 13, 8:03 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: various
I wouldn't worry about cancellation issues on these international MU flights. These days, you're more likely to have problems with UA socking it to you with schedule changes on the TPACs.

In a vacuum of information, if the price is good and they are flying economy class, it should be fine. With context, such as what are the other SFO-HKT options and pricing, we might be able to be more definitive on whether the MU plan is the best one.

One thing about traveling via PVG is that if they want, they can schedule a stopover of up to 72 hours (assumes US passports) in Shanghai without needing Chinese visas. Shanghai would be an interesting counterpoint to Thailand and Phuket.
Old Jun 22, 13, 10:06 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
My advise is to avoid MU at all cost. Used to fly them couple of times per month, but due to too many bad experiences I'm nowadays choosing other alternatives whenever I can. Funnily enough I have booked 4 domestic oneway flights with them during this year and 3 of them have been cancelled.

To be fair, cancellations for domestic flights are very common in mainland China with other airlines as well. International flights tend to be less frequently cancelled.
We all have preference when we fly with Chinese carriers in domestic flights. Like Laowei don't like MU, I try everything to avoid HU due to bad experience.

I've been using MU for the last 15 years (FM even longer, over 20 years), only had 2 cancellations, Laowei must be quite unlucky on this. Bearing in mind, I don't do that many flights in China now, but in the past I do 70-100 a year in China.

If anyone can afford, strongly recommend to fly F class in domestic Chinese flights, they are not as expensive as you may think of.
Old Jun 22, 13, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, those 4 hour delays are more painful than outright cancellations.
Old Jun 22, 13, 12:52 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
echo, if the price is right, and you are low maintenance, go for it.
Old Jun 22, 13, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
I wouldn't worry about cancellation issues on these international MU flights. These days, you're more likely to have problems with UA socking it to you with schedule changes on the TPACs.

In a vacuum of information, if the price is good and they are flying economy class, it should be fine. With context, such as what are the other SFO-HKT options and pricing, we might be able to be more definitive on whether the MU plan is the best one.

One thing about traveling via PVG is that if they want, they can schedule a stopover of up to 72 hours (assumes US passports) in Shanghai without needing Chinese visas. Shanghai would be an interesting counterpoint to Thailand and Phuket.
Thanks for all the feedback!!!

I was finding a ridiculous fare of $930, compared to $1300 for the next lowest price via matrix, however I couldn't get it to book. Kept going up to $1700... So ultimately I had to change the plan and recommended Singapore/Korean for $1150 at a slightly less convenient date for them.

However, I have wondered about China Eastern for a while anyways so I am grateful. Anyone know their date change fee policy for discount economy? ITA didn't mention a change fee, but wondered what your experience has been.
Old Jun 22, 13, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; SPG Gold; HH Gold; RCCL Diamond
I've flown them once on a domestic flight, CAN-XIY, and the overall experience was poor. Plane wasn't very clean, poor service, bad food, ect.
Old Jun 22, 13, 7:45 pm

[...]However, I have wondered about China Eastern for a while anyways so I am grateful. Anyone know their date change fee policy for discount economy? ITA didn't mention a change fee, but wondered what your experience has been.
Depends on route and particularly the class booked.
Old Jun 22, 13, 9:19 pm

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points) View Post
We all have preference when we fly with Chinese carriers in domestic flights. Like Laowei don't like MU, I try everything to avoid HU due to bad experience.

I've been using MU for the last 15 years (FM even longer, over 20 years), only had 2 cancellations, Laowei must be quite unlucky on this. Bearing in mind, I don't do that many flights in China now, but in the past I do 70-100 a year in China.
True. I've flown with MU the most and therefore most of my problems have been with them. Unfortunately there are not much good options available for domestic flights. For international flights I'm willing to pay some premium to fly with non-chinese carriers. So in other words if I find a good deal with MU/CA/CZ or others alike I'll still take it.

Regarding to the cancellations I mentioned I must have had at least 15 cancellations during the last 5-6 years. This is the total figure, not only MU flights. Some of these have been (as suggested by chinatrvl) simply changing to another flight leaving an hour or two later/earlier. But also flights like SHA-TXN (only 1 daily flight) or SHA-XIY morning flight changed PVG-XIY late afternoon flight. I guess I'm just unlucky with these.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: