Can Scoot do this??

Old Jun 13, 13, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ.
Can Scoot do this??

Hi all,

sorry I'm not being more specific, just trying to be forearmed in case of dramas...

I see a lot of issues with flight delays on Scoot, typical LCC stuff. And I have seen reports where people have said that if you have missed your Scoot onwards connection because of your delayed incoming Scoot flight, then Scoot will not put you on their next plane for free unless you have purchased their Scoot-Thru option.

Can they do this? I have a single Scoot booking PNR reference for a BKK-SIN-SYD booking, with 2 hr layover in SIN. Now I'm going to get the 400Baht ScootThru option anyway, so perhaps a silly question, but if I didn't have Scoot-Thru and the BKK-SIN flight was delayed due to mechanical issues and I missed my SIN-SYD connection, could they legally void my BKK-SYD ticket and make me buy a new one for the following day??

Even with Scoot-Thru, are they obliged to compensate me for overnight accommodation etc?? Or is this just a goodwill thing that bigger airlines do. Europe carriers have different rules don't they, is this how Scoot avoid any responsibility?

Thanks for any advice!
Cheers
Tim
Old Jun 13, 13, 9:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
They are not obliged to do anything except fly you from point a to b. Sadly EU laws wont work here- and Scoot will only promise you to be rebooked on the next available flight to your destination at no additional cost.
Old Jun 14, 13, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks ashkale,

Originally Posted by ashkale View Post
...and Scoot will only promise you to be rebooked on the next available flight to your destination at no additional cost.
yet I have heard they will not even do that!! The person said that Scoot considered the two sectors as two separate PNR's (even though both with Scoot), and they refused to honour the ticket for the next available flight.

Cheers
Tim

Last edited by TiggerK; Jun 14, 13 at 4:42 am
Old Jun 14, 13, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Scoot flights are sold on a per sector basis. If you wish to make connections with any other flights, whether operated by Scoot or another airline, please allow sufficient time to do so. Unless you have purchased or are entitled to an airside facilitated transfer, once you have disembarked from your arriving flight, you will have to clear Customs and Immigration, collect your checked baggage (if any), then proceed to the relevant departure hall checkin counter to check in for your ongoing flight in accordance with the operating carrier’s policies. If your connecting flight is an international service, you must also clear Departure Immigration formalities.

Scoot or Singapore Airlines or SilkAir will not be responsible for any costs or expenses you incur as a result of a missed connection, even if the missed connection is from Singapore Airlines or SilkAir to Scoot in the same itinerary as your Scoot flight or if the misconnection was due to one of our flights being delayed. We strongly recommend you carry comprehensive travel insurance throughout your travels.

Guests who miss their connecting flights on Scoot or any other carrier are responsible to book a new onward flight at their own expense. Only guests who have purchased the Changi Connects facilitated transfer service in conjunction with the connecting journey are entitled to be rebooked on the next available flight to their destination with associated rebooking fees and fare difference waived.

So there you have it. Lady on the phone says I will be covered (have it recorded), but it seems not. (Yes, will buy Scoot-Thru, but amazed they can get away with this! Ah T&C, how they love thee)
Old Jun 22, 13, 5:10 am

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
Can Scoot do this??

If you purchase Scoot Thru you should be ok. However if you have luggage. There are reports of Scootthru luggage getting list and taking 3 weeks to find.
Old Jun 22, 13, 12:07 pm

I guess the way I read it is that they really don't want the through passenger business - just point-to-point. Of course, any bad will from problems will be directed at SQ. Not too smart if you look at the big picture.
Old Jul 4, 13, 10:47 am

Programs: AP, CX Gold, HHonours Gold, SPG Gold, KL/AF Gold
You get what you pay for I guess. At least they make it pretty darn clear. You can't pay LCC prices and don't expect services not cut around the corner.

Originally Posted by username View Post
I guess the way I read it is that they really don't want the through passenger business - just point-to-point. Of course, any bad will from problems will be directed at SQ. Not too smart if you look at the big picture.
You're totally correct. This is one of the ways Scoot is NOT competing with SQ. As far as bad will goes, well, SQ doesn't really care for the business of typical Scoot flier in any case. Most folks flying Scoot would never pay for SQ anyway as their only loyalty is to the 'price' not to the brand. (Which is totally fine actually.)
Old Jul 4, 13, 11:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
I've just been through a missed connection that was covered by QF, and after talking about the experience with one particular FTer I'm starting to understand what's covered, what's not more than before.

I'm not sure whether there's any Singapore local equivalent to EU 264/2004 or FAA Rule 210, but if not, then it's whatever your CoC says. CoC has to be filed with your local CAA so sometimes they incorporate local laws and regulations (FAA Rule 210 only exist in previously-filed US carrier CoCs - the rule itself no longer exists).

I found my Qantas rights (and what is not included) in Qantas's CoC. Qantas also has a Customer's Charter but nothing in addition there.

If the Singapore CAA lets Scoot get away with such liability-free CoC then it's legal.

Another example - when trying to get to CTS from HKG via KIX with Peach, Peach insisted I buy two tickets - one international and one domestic, and expressly disclaimed all liablity for connections.
Old Jul 6, 13, 12:23 pm

Another simple reason why I avoid LCCs like a plague...
Old Jul 7, 13, 2:25 am

Yes, Scoot will not cover you. It is stated clearly in their T&Cs.

Going by how Scoot prices their tickets, they are not in direct competition with SQ.

Give you an example, last December, we flew our family of 4 from Singapore to Sydney return on Scoot for a total cost of $2,400 SGD.

The same flight on SQ would have cost $5,000+ SGD.

We made it to Sydney though the outbound flight was delayed by almost 2 hours.

The return flight was on time.
Old Jul 7, 13, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by payam81 View Post
You get what you pay for I guess. At least they make it pretty darn clear. You can't pay LCC prices and don't expect services not cut around the corner.

You're totally correct. This is one of the ways Scoot is NOT competing with SQ. As far as bad will goes, well, SQ doesn't really care for the business of typical Scoot flier in any case. Most folks flying Scoot would never pay for SQ anyway as their only loyalty is to the 'price' not to the brand. (Which is totally fine actually.)
Yes, I think you are absolutely right. No loyalty to Scoot whatsoever. It is all about the price.
Old Jul 7, 13, 2:27 am

Scoot flies the B-777. It is a 3-4-3 class in the Economy cabin.

Very cramped, in terms of leg-room and also the aisles are extremely narrow.

Have fun!

Search this Thread