GA transit via CGK and experience on B737-800

Old May 21, 13, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

GA transit via CGK and experience on B737-800

Looking into a trip from HKG to JOG/SUB and the schedule and fare on GA look very appealing. A few questions

- How big is the legroom in Y on the 737-800 ?
- What is the IFE in Y on 737-800 ?
- Through check from HKG to the final destination even if transiting in CGK ? Do I need to retrieve checked bags in CGK (vs. transiting in BKK to a domestic Thai destination where you only see the bags at the final destination) ?
- Realistically, if I am entering Indonesia at CGK and immediately connecting to a domestic flight, given that GA International and Domestic operate in the same terminal building (albeit in different sub-terminals), how much time does it take to reach the domestic boarding gate once I leave the Secure Area ? (I'm a foreigner but do not require any visa to go into Indonesia.)
Old May 23, 13, 1:34 am

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Garuda, Air France
Some answers

Here are some answer based on personal experience:

- How big is the legroom in Y on the 737-800 ?
32" Source

- What is the IFE in Y on 737-800 ?
Personal TV screen Source

For 1-1 hour flight, it just shows some episodes of TV, some music, etc.

- Through check from HKG to the final destination even if transiting in CGK ? Do I need to retrieve checked bags in CGK (vs. transiting in BKK to a domestic Thai destination where you only see the bags at the final destination) ?
Not any more. Your bags will be checked through Hong Kong to the final destination. You don't have to retrieve them at the baggage carousel in Jakarta.

- Realistically, if I am entering Indonesia at CGK and immediately connecting to a domestic flight, given that GA International and Domestic operate in the same terminal building (albeit in different sub-terminals), how much time does it take to reach the domestic boarding gate once I leave the Secure Area ? (I'm a foreigner but do not require any visa to go into Indonesia.)
You now don't have to leave the secure area. There is now a special "transit lane" that goes direct from international to Garuda domestic, especially for Garuda passengers transiting from an international fight to a domestic flight. It's a 5 minute walk up some stairs, through some doors, etc.

By the way, if your final destination is Surabaya (SUB), there is a direct Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Surabaya. Based on my previous experiences flying both airlines, it would have to be a pretty amazing Garuda fare for me to choose Garuda over Cathay.
Old May 23, 13, 5:20 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
There are some GA738 without personal entertainment. But these are usually kept on short domestic runs.

I would do CX only for the direct flight factor. The onboard product is inconsistent and can be superior or inferior to GA.
Old May 23, 13, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you TRD and dfs24 for your answers. I am doing a Yogjakarta-Borobodur-Solo-Mount Bromo thing so will fly into JOG and will be leaving the country at SUB. That makes CX not a viable option given the fare, and that it would have to be an 8am departure from SUB and therefore I have to pay for one more night of hotel, whereas on GA I can catch the red-eye flight from CGK to HKG. I personally have not been impressed at all with CX service on the recent flights I have been on either.

On the way back from SUB to HKG, when transiting CGK, how many hours should I budget ? Does it matter whether I check in luggage or not ? Boarding passes all printed at check in at SUB or do I have to get the CGK-HKG BP only at CGK ?

BTW, how many times do I have to pay departure tax if I am doing SUB-CGK-HKG ? What about at CGK when I connect from HKG to CGK to JOG ?

Last edited by zhaobao; May 24, 13 at 2:02 am
Old May 24, 13, 8:48 am

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Garuda, Air France
Transit Time in Jakarta and Airport Tax

Ok, I admit it's been a while since I've flown Cathay Pacific.

On the way back from SUB to HKG, when transiting CGK, how many hours should I budget ? Does it matter whether I check in luggage or not ? Boarding passes all printed at check in at SUB or do I have to get the CGK-HKG BP only at CGK ?
This guide to transiting and changing terminals in Jakarta recommends 4 hours between domestic arrival and domestic departure times, but less is ok if you're on connecting Garuda flights (one booking code) and your luggage is checked through to Hong Kong in Surabaya.

BTW, how many times do I have to pay departure tax if I am doing SUB-CGK-HKG ? What about at CGK when I connect from HKG to CGK to JOG ?
As mentioned here, Garuda now includes airport tax in the ticket price for domestic flights. For SUB-CGK-HKG, you would pay international airport tax in Jakarta: Rp150 000 ($HK135). For HKG-CGK-JOG, you wouldn't pay airport tax.
Old May 27, 13, 10:51 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Originally Posted by dfs24 View Post
There are some GA738 without personal entertainment. But these are usually kept on short domestic runs.

I would do CX only for the direct flight factor. The onboard product is inconsistent and can be superior or inferior to GA.

I though all GA B737-800 are new and have IFE. There are other B737 (-200 or 300 I think) which does not have IFE

If the price is right, I will go with GA B737-800, it is quite new planes (about a year most of them). Most of the time, CX will use "old" plane to SUB with very lousy IFE. Of course the drawback, B738 is single aisle plane.
Old May 27, 13, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Yes all 4 flight segments (2 international, 2 domestic) showing B738 as equipment. Quite tempting indeed.
Old May 28, 13, 12:59 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Originally Posted by zhaobao View Post
Yes all 4 flight segments (2 international, 2 domestic) showing B738 as equipment. Quite tempting indeed.
are you talking SUB or JOG. If SUB, I am not so surprise if they use B738. CGK-SUB is the busiest domestic route for GA with many business man flying this route, so I won't be surprise if they deploy the "best" aircraft for this route
Old May 29, 13, 10:21 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold, GarudaMiles Silver, Le Club Accorhotels Gold
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
I though all GA B737-800 are new and have IFE. There are other B737 (-200 or 300 I think) which does not have IFE
There were about 8 738's that originally came from Ryanair I think before the order of 50 738's that launched the new product. There are still a few 733, and 735 that don't IFE.
Old May 29, 13, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
are you talking SUB or JOG. If SUB, I am not so surprise if they use B738. CGK-SUB is the busiest domestic route for GA with many business man flying this route, so I won't be surprise if they deploy the "best" aircraft for this route
HKG - CGK - JOG
SUB - CGK - HKG

As long as they use the "new" B737-800 on the CGK-HKG-CGK route I would be happy enough.
Old Jun 3, 13, 10:07 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
I flew on GA on 737 from SIN to DPS and the IFE was ok, but very limited choices of movies and TV series.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: