FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Sri Lankan FlySmiLes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1465466-sri-lankan-flysmiles.html)

Dr. HFH May 8, 2013 7:16 pm

Sri Lankan FlySmiLes

With UL joining OW, perhaps it's time for its own thread. I flew two UL flights a few days ago, and thought that some might be interested in my impressions.

I traveled SIN-CMB in Y and CMB-AUH in J. I was rather impressed, as this carrier far exceeded my expectations (which, I admit, were low). Checkin at SIN was by a disinterested ticket counter agent. I didn’t understand fully what was going on, as whenever a counter agent was checking someone in and needed a seat assignment she (yes, there were three and they were all female) shouted to one of two male managers who sat at desks at the end of the row of checkin stations. “George, I need one in Business.” (George wasn’t his real name.) “George, two in economy, please.” Then if George didn’t respond immediately, “George!!” That’s what I thought computers were for.

The first flight was acceptable. Let me start by saying that the 322 is not my favorite aircraft. Nothing I can do about that, though. This one still smelled new and had leather seating, which was still new and clean. Anyway, I didn’t like my seat. I had asked for an aisle seat at checkin, but none were available. Checkin agent had explained that the SIN-CMB flights were nearly always sold out. 3×3 configuration, and I was in A with an elderly husband and wife in B and C. The husband, next to me, had some sort of respiratory problem, causing him to cough throughout the flight and I had nowhere even to turn. They were also mobility challenged, so my getting out to use the lavatory was out of the question. Suffice it to say that I moved quickly once I exited the aircraft in CMB. But the flight was uneventful, the flight attendants very professional. AVOD was available along with mapping so that you could track the flight. Individual screens were in each seat back. No complaints.

On the CMB-AUH segment I was in J. Another, but older, 322, no AVOD. The flight was something like 4+ hours; a full meal was served, though I didn’t eat. The staff, however, particularly the Service Manager, was great. Cabin crew was genuinely friendly, lots of eye contact, always smiling when interacting with the pax. Requests were addressed immediately and with a smile. When the Service Manager came around towards the end of the flight to say the obligatory thank you for flying with us, there was nothing obligatory about it. Each pax got a brief but genuine individual chat. This gentleman really seemed to love his job and love people.

If you have occasion to be traveling on one of their routes, I highly recommend UL, particularly in Business. IIRC they’re joining OW soon, adding even more incentive from the mileage earning perspective.

michlflyer May 9, 2013 11:40 am

This year I have flown from Saudi Arabia to both Singapore and Kuala Lumpur on UL in J and I have been lucky to have the A340/330 with flatbed seats as well as the A320, which I found very comfortable for regional business class.

The quality of the cabin service has been impressive and I-m looking forward to a longhaul flight over the summer.

enelym1978 Jul 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Flying UL for the first time this Friday to Colombo... fingers crossed :)