Air Asia schedule change - won't refund ticket

Old Apr 8, 13, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Air Asia schedule change - won't refund ticket

Need some help.

Recently I booked a flight with Air Asia from DMK. departure was at 3:25 and I arrive in BKK at 12:25 so I figured I am fine (hour to get out, hour or less to get there... I'm flying in first so I'll be fast to get out)...

Then Air Asia sent me an email a few weeks after I booked that they changed the flight to 3:00.. obviously I can no longer make it. I asked them to refund the ticket, they said they have a policy not to refund if it's only 25 minute schedule change. I sent them an email no reply. I chatted with them they promised to reply, still nothing (already 3 weeks). I sent proof of incoming flight times explained everything but still nothing..

I can call Amex and they'll gladly refund the charge, I'm just concerned since I have a couple other reservations with Air Asia a few days later they may try and cancel those...

Anyone have any ideas what I can do? I cannot believe their policy, absolutely ridiculous..
Old Apr 8, 13, 5:03 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Unfortunately their T's and C's say the following:
9.1 Schedules: We will use our best efforts to avoid delay in carrying you and your baggage. We will endeavour to adhere to published schedules in effect on the date of travel. However, times shown in timetables, schedules or elsewhere are subject to change at any time and from time to time and we shall not be liable in any way whatsoever for any loss incurred by passengers as a result of such change.
I don't think they could get away with such practices in many countries but it obviously works for them in Thailand.

You took a risk by buying a separate ticket from a different airport with such a short transit time (your connection is actually less than the MCT of 3:30 for BKK-DMK connection), and now you are being stung. I personally think a charge back isn't called for as it was a very small schedule change and your problem was caused by your own risk taking. Just cut your losses and move on.

I assume you are on FD2776 to PNH in which case there isn't a later flight which sucks a bit as they could have been a viable option.

Last edited by pogonation; Apr 8, 13 at 5:12 pm
Old Apr 8, 13, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
A 25 min change is not much and while it puts you in a bind that's not the concern of FD. You were cutting it dangerously close on the DMK/BKK transfer to begin with...

Originally Posted by pogonation View Post

I assume you are on FD2776 to PNH in which case there isn't a later flight which sucks a bit as they could have been a viable option.
Assuming this is the case OP should look into K6 (Cambodia Angkor Air). Their only departure is at 14:25 from BKK and, unlike TG/PG, you do not get pushed into a higher fare class for purchasing a o/w: BKK-PNH o/w is ~$95 a/i.
Old Apr 8, 13, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chebraccia View Post
....Recently I booked a flight with Air Asia from DMK. departure was at 3:25.....Then Air Asia sent me an email a few weeks after I booked that they changed the flight to 3:00.....
25 minutes is minimal change. Most major airline won't refund either unless the change is significant. UA, for example, require at least 2 hours change. I believe DL requires 90 minutes.

I suggest start working on Plan B.
Old Apr 9, 13, 12:02 am
Original Poster

I have already booked with Angkor...

I am really very surprised at these replies

Makes no sense to me... The connection is no ones business, I bought a flight for a specific time, if the airline changes schedule I should be entitled to refund.. I arrive on emirates first which in my opinion gives me enough time with their chauffeur service to have made it has there not been a schedule change.. It was a risk I was willing to take.. Not with the new time however.

I am more than certain Amex would refund me, and would support my claim, just don't want them to bite back from phn to kul a few days later

Their customer support is awful, no reply yet..
Old Apr 9, 13, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes no sense to me... The connection is no ones business, I bought a flight for a specific time, if the airline changes schedule I should be entitled to refund.. I arrive on emirates first which in my opinion gives me enough time with their chauffeur service to have made it has there not been a schedule change.. It was a risk I was willing to take.. Not with the new time however.

I am more than certain Amex would refund me, and would support my claim, just don't want them to bite back from phn to kul a few days later

Their CS is awful, that's their MO. And trying to get a refund on a 25 minute change wouldn't work on any airline that I've flown.

What you paid to FD is sunk money, don't worry about it and don't waste your time hoping for a response from them. I'd actually be surprised if Amex was willing to back you on this. However if you do go the Amex route don't fret your PNH-KUL flight since the paperwork won't go through that quickly.
Old Apr 9, 13, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
I have full sympathy for you with the problem you are encountering but with LCC you get what you pay for, i.e. minimal service. That's why I avoid these airlines. If you indeed fly to PNH, you have several alternatives from BKK.
Old Apr 9, 13, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
However if you do go the Amex route don't fret your PNH-KUL flight since the paperwork won't go through that quickly.
My experience with Amex has always been very fast refund without much hassle..

You don't think they may see it right away and cancel all my flights?

I'm very surprised airlines have such a policy.. I've been flying extensively for 10+ years and luckily never had an issue like this (or normally when united made a change to schedule to rebooked me on a better direct flight..)

you def get what you pay for.
Old Apr 9, 13, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Evn without a schedule change, you didn't allow time for delays nd traffic jams in Bangkok!

Note that these two weeks I'll be crazy everywhere... Songkran !

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 9, 13 at 2:49 am
Old Apr 9, 13, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I have full sympathy for you with the problem you are encountering but with LCC you get what you pay for, i.e. minimal service. That's why I avoid these airlines. If you indeed fly to PNH, you have several alternatives from BKK.
There are 4 choices: TG/PG, FD/K6. I group them in this way for several reasons, one is the first group is full service and the second not. The other is with the first group you'll pay a penalty (forced into a higher fare class) for a o/w ticket and that's not the case with the latter group.

you def get what you pay for.
Like Goldorak I tend to avoid the LCCs for this very reason.

As to your question about PNH-KUL, I don't know from experience that you'll be safe for your flight, but my expectation is it won't be a problem. YMMV.
Old Apr 9, 13, 4:39 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
He should still be able to get a refund from the credit card company (given it's an US based) because of the time change... the reason for not making it shouldn't be a problem and the OP does not have to mention that when claiming with the CC.

At the worst is Air Asia puts him on black list.
Old Apr 11, 13, 11:15 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AB*S, SPG Plat, MR Plat, IHR Gold, Accor Plat
Hoping to get through BKK and immigration in an hour is a very optimistic wish Every time I fly there it takes me at least an hour to go through immigration, if not 2 hours. I hate BKK for that... unless you land at weird hours when you're the only plane landing.

But as said by others, LCC are what they are.... not a lot of staff in CS. However, I once forgot my iPad on an AirAsia flight to BKK and the CS on the phone was good and super reactive. They even called me back as promised and I managed to get my iPad back!

Guess you were out of luck. Hope you managed to get your plan B all right.
Old Apr 12, 13, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

unfortunately you didn't buy a ticket for a specific time... all airline tickets, indeed airline contracts of carriage, are way too vague to constitute a contracted time of departure. they are subject to too many variables... weather, mechanical, schedule changes... you agreed to that when you purchased the ticket... and even if you didn't read that specific clause, as a frequent flyer you are deemed to know it (and the clause is not unusual in anyway as it is consistent with aviation worldwide)

even the EU, with arguably the toughest consumer protection regime, is not going to protect you for a 25 minute reschedule.

having Amex refund you is great... but all of us have to pay for people doing spurious charge backs on items they agreed to pay for but then change their mind.
Old Apr 17, 13, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
having Amex refund you is great... but all of us have to pay for people doing spurious charge backs on items they agreed to pay for but then change their mind.
well said, LHR/MEL/Europe FF!

Amex may be good at that.. but the truth is that the service was rendered but not to what OP had wanted.

But as this is Asia, the charge back may cause a ripple effect to go through Air Asia's booking system in that OP's name may be flagged for blacklisting for future bookings on the Air Asia group.

Just be warned.
Old Apr 18, 13, 6:16 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I'm amazed this is considered justifiably a reason for a charge back

Maybe I don't fully appreciate what happens outside Europe, but I know AMEX wouldn't touch this with a bargepole in Europe. Certainly times shown on the booking confirmation are not guaranteed and form no part of the flight contract. In the UK airlines can change your times by up to 12 hours without having to provide a refund. For this reason you would not be successful with your chargeback.

If you had booked one ticket, then certainly you would be assisted. But the fact you booked a LCC from a different airport and didn't even confirm to Minimum Connections and the s/c is only 25 minutes - wowsers - you'd be laughed off the phone.

Can't believe i'm standing up for Air Asia. Can't believe you were flying 1st in EK and thought a drive across BKK would be worth the saving made flying from a different airport. Many things I can't believe.

Search this Thread